Home Cigar 101

Tobacco ratio in cigars?

2»

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is just awesome, way to go Webmost that is such a neat gesture! Enjoy Ricky and good to see you back and posting good stuff again, hope the Mrs. Hamlin is doing good too, still sending prayers y'alls way!

Brett
    Thanks Brett. Well Carla's not doing any worse. So I'll take what I can get. This whole ordeal has just about taken everything out of her. 
    Well here's my first attempt at rolling my own. Ugly little cusses. Hopefully they will smoke. Took me about an hour what with having to keep starting over because the were too loose or too tight. Got them in the humi now. Hope the caps stay on that was a real bugger. 
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, looks fun.  And if they smoke, then you've done a pretty good job by me.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    Now that is just awesome, way to go Webmost that is such a neat gesture! Enjoy Ricky and good to see you back and posting good stuff again, hope the Mrs. Hamlin is doing good too, still sending prayers y'alls way!

Brett
    Thanks Brett. Well Carla's not doing any worse. So I'll take what I can get. This whole ordeal has just about taken everything out of her. 
    Im really sorry to hear that but thankful that she isnt doing any worse at least! Keep the faith brother and God will provide :)

PS. I think you did a great job at your first attempt of rolling!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lookin about smokable.  What's the blend? 
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost said:
    Ah shoot I don't really remember. I know the Habano 2000 wrapper and broadleaf binder.  I'll have to look tomorrow. I could still smell the tobacco on my hands hours later. Smelt awesome. 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice guys!! I've been wanting to try rolling but not sure if I'll get too drawn in at first and buy too much stuff
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee, you want in on this sotweed potlatch? I believe you are close enough I could ride up with a box of leaves, twist a few, and leave you the goods. Ping me if you're in.

One great way to enjoy a cigar is to make it.

Gotta love that Todd Beamer today: "Let's Roll!"
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    webmost said:
    Ah shoot I don't really remember. I know the Habano 2000 wrapper and broadleaf binder.  I'll have to look tomorrow. I could still smell the tobacco on my hands hours later. Smelt awesome. 
    I use a journal to keep track of the blends that i use. Filler, binder, wrapper, ring and date. I number them and put the number and then date on the cigar band. I rolled 10 #7 coronas this AM.
    Rhamlin said:
    webmost said:
    I use a journal to keep track of the blends that i use. Filler, binder, wrapper, ring and date. I number them and put the number and then date on the cigar band. I rolled 10 #7 coronas this AM.
    Lol that would have taken me 5 hours. I'm going to try again tomorrow I think. Getting that dang cap to stay on is a real pain. 
    What are you using for cigar glue? I use unflavored friut pectin from the grocery store. Caps are a bitc- at times and take to long for me. I usually cap with a pigtail.
    I bind 10 cigars with the same blend because that will fill my mould. I enter the blend and date in my journal. When I burn one I also add tasting notes to the journal. If I hit a blend I like it's a simple matter to go back to the book and look up the blend so I can roll some more. Put your cigar bands on with a glue stick.  
    I used to use pectin, Rodger; but even "unflavored" pectin leaves a bitter taste. I use cellulose glue now; which is made from trees, goes a long ways, sticks harder, and has no taste. It's the same glue used for wallpaper. I scored a jar of powder from an outfit selling it as craft glue for children. Just as much powder as will perch on the end of a pallette knife makes a baby food size jar of glue. Stuff is even cheaper than pectin.

I'll look into cellulose glue. I hope i can find a small amount to buy. Thanks for the heads up D.
    What are you using for cigar glue? I use unflavored friut pectin from the grocery store. Caps are a bitc- at times and take to long for me. I usually cap with a pigtail.
    I bind 10 cigars with the same blend because that will fill my mould. I enter the blend and date in my journal. When I burn one I also add tasting notes to the journal. If I hit a blend I like it's a simple matter to go back to the book and look up the blend so I can roll some more. Put your cigar bands on with a glue stick.  
    That's what I'd like to do. My mold holds 10 also but they are small perfectos. I just couldn't get down the right amount of tobacco to fit it right. 
    Rhamlin said:

That's what I'd like to do. My mold holds 10 also but they are small perfectos. I just couldn't get down the right amount of tobacco to fit it right. 

That's not so tough as it seems at first. Get the length right by how the bunch sticks out either end of your fist. Compare that length to the slot in your mold. Pinch off what you don't need. Get the girth right by the feel of it in your fist. Just a matter of paying attention.

webmost said:
    Rhamlin said:

That's not so tough as it seems at first. Get the length right by how the bunch sticks out either end of your fist. Compare that length to the slot in your mold. Pinch off what you don't need. Get the girth right by the feel of it in your fist. Just a matter of paying attention.

I'm going to work on that. I smoked on this morning. I'm sure it was way to soon but I just had to try one. Burned great and ash held for over an inch. Good flavor till the last inch or so when it turned bitter. What really surprised me was the blast of pepper through the nose the first few puffs. Mainly because that was what I was going for. Gave a couple to my bf so he's psyched. 
    Twisted up some this morning. It was a bit easier. I just went with pigtails this time. Till I get better.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff in this post.  Love the YouTube videos @webmost, and way to go @Rhamlin.  
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
    Gave a couple to my buddy and he fired one up this morning. Said it burned and tasted great. 
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    Gave a couple to my buddy and he fired one up this morning. Said it burned and tasted great. 
    @Rhamlin that has to be an awesome feeling.  That You rolled a great stick
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well done, great thread
    A little dirt never hurt
    edited September 2016
    Wanted to roll a few petite robustos today. I made them 4 inches by 48 ring. Crillo viso one part, criollo seco two parts and piloto ligero one part.Bound with maduro. I will wrap them tomorrow with habano.
    Wanted to roll a few petite robustos today. I made them 4 inches by 48 ring. Crillo viso one part, criollo seco two parts and piloto ligero one part.Bound with maduro. I will wrap them tomorrow with habano.
    Sweet! I was going to roll some more up today but crap got in the way. 
    you home rollers are badass
    A little dirt never hurt
    Here are some 5x54's i rolled yesterday. The first shot is bunched and bound in the mould. Second is the wrapper trimed and ready to roll and the last is 10 ready for bands. Corillo wrapper, Dominican binder, 1 leaf Corojo viso, two leafs Niv Habano seco, and one half leaf Pilito Cubano ligero. Pigtail caps. They are a little different lengths I suppose i should make a cutter.imageimageimage
  • EmceeEmcee Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Here are some 5x54's i rolled yesterday. The first shot is bunched and bound in the mould. Second is the wrapper trimed and ready to roll and the last is 10 ready for bands. Corillo wrapper, Dominican binder, 1 leaf Corojo viso, two leafs Niv Habano seco, and one half leaf Pilito Cubano ligero. Pigtail caps. They are a little different lengths I suppose i should make a cutter.imageimageimage
    Very cool!!  I have no patience for it, but love the idea of creating your own like that.  
    Them, are some righteous lookin stix, Rodger. Soon as they dry out, snap us another pic.

Emcee said:
    Very cool!!  I have no patience for it, but love the idea of creating your own like that.  
    Those turned out nice!
    very nice Rodger
    A little dirt never hurt