Home General Discussion

If you found a beetle hole

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
In a cigar shipped to you from a vendor, would it turn you off to that brand or vendor when it arrived?
Or that line of cigars?

Does it give you hesitation buying that cigar again?

I'm finding myself at odds about it.
One side says, it happens and is why I check over things when I get them and it shouldn't bother me.
The other side says, if they aren't checking, it puts my cigars at risk.

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.  
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blacklist cigar and vendor.  I had the same thing happen to me a few months back.  Not worth the risk of worrying about it to me.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It would turn me off of them and the line if it happened multiple times, especially if it kept happening from the same vendor. Either way I would contact them and expect them to make it right though.

Brett

EDIT: To clarify, if it was an ongoing continuous thing, where the same line, company or vendor had the same issues continuously then yes it would turn it off for me and I would no longer use them or buy from them etc. That being said, I always talk to any vendor about any issues and would see what they can do and if I felt that made it right or not. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't it just depends.
    Post edited by 90+_Irishman on
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Freeze everything from that line/vendor. Contact them and give them a chance to make it right. But why would I blame the company for a microscopic insect getting into an untreated product and hatching while it's in the truck on its way to me. Sounds like getting upset if your organic potatoes have a brown spot.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    would you stop going to a grocery store if you bought a bag of red delicious apples, and upon arriving home you unpack the bag and find that 1 of the apples is bad? 

or would you give up red delicious apples completely and only eat granny smith's from that point on? 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Agree with @Wylaff can't always be controlled. I would contact vendor to let them know. The way they handle the situation would determine if I dealt with them in the future.  Quality control in an environment that deals with a product that is perishable can never be 100%. to many factors. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Freeze everything from that line/vendor. Contact them and give them a chance to make it right. But why would I blame the company for a microscopic insect getting into an untreated product and hatching while it's in the truck on its way to me. Sounds like getting upset if your organic potatoes have a brown spot.
    I agree. And go ahead and smoke the one with the hole. Just keep an eye out for a beetle or three crawling out of it while you do....  They won't bite ya....   :p
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    would you stop going to a grocery store if you bought a bag of red delicious apples, and upon arriving home you unpack the bag and find that 1 of the apples is bad? 

or would you give up red delicious apples completely and only eat granny smith's from that point on? 
    So much of THIS
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't blacklist a vendor necessarily, they are the middle man.....I may stop buying a certain brand if it happened again.

Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke it immediately. That's extra protein as a bonus!
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    I think all of us are at risk in the summer when we're buying and shipping cigars. It's hot out, and we know heat and humidity are what causes the eggs to hatch. I would take a picture and let them take care of it. 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FREEZE!!!!
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a hypothetical question.
    As there are some folks out there that ocd tendancy would have them shy away completely from a line or brand because of such things.

I know folks that will never visit a certain restaurant again because they got bones in their fish. 
    Some people's minds can sometimes cause them to refuse certain cigars, foods or drinks because of some small seemingly insignificant issue.

I was just curious what some people's response would be, because the subject came up from someone I know and I have had a few cigars that showed up with beetle holes over the years and realized while I didn't avoid those lines, I didn't really purchase them anymore.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Both not worth it for the peace of mind you get buying a reputable cigar from a reputable vendor. It kills me since I always email the question what temp and rh do you store your cigars. Every answer is 70/70! Well to me that's too high on both
    Money can't buy taste
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many of you in your entire cigar career have had a beetle in your cigar from anyone?
    I've had 1.

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are people acting like Bnms, Vendors, Cigar companies put beetles in the tobacco on purpose? 

I bought a handful of cigars  not too long ago from a BnM that I've been going to for 8 yrs.  Few days later, found out they had beetles.  Just yesterday drove out there to exchange them.  The manager exchanged with no hesitation.  His exact words were "it happens".  

I guess Im going to stop shopping there. Oh and as far as the cigar company, I guess I'll stop smoking OpusX as well.  
    #beetlesarebaaaaad #ithappens
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    edited August 2016
    years ago I was in a B&M and found some Avo's with a few holes around the foot I pointed it out the the owner who was truly bummed as the box was nearly full. I bought the box for next to nothing brought them home stuck them in the freezer and then enjoyed every one of them 
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freeze if there is question. I got a box of las Antilles and a couple of them had beetle holes after a while. Luckily it was while in the box and did not spread. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

This wasn't about whether people blame anyone or any of that bullshit.
    It was about, how people think and their train of thought.

As usual, people completely missed the point of this or misread it.

I could have used the question of, if you got a bone in a can of tuna fish, would it make you think about purchasing that brand?
    Most people it would. Subconsiously, those things impact how a normal person buys.
    It is human nature. 

Or a better route of question should have been something like, if you had cigars that were unraveling, would affect purchasing that brand or line again.
    That was the point of this, but evidently the question came off as what should I do.

No where in the original post was there anything about it happening or what a person should do.

I guess I should have made a poll. 
     :s 

I'll go back to my corner and shut up.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    My answer to the original question is NO on both counts, I would not stop purchasing said brand, and I would not avoid the vendor. Not if it were the first time with that vendor. If it happened more than once then obviously I would have to question his storage method. But in this example Cigar beetles are a possibility with any cigar as the eggs are microscopic and there would be no way to know they were there. But the eggs hatching that's a storage problem.

I think you're getting the answers you're getting because the guys understand this and do not blame this type of occasional mishap on anything other than chance.  I guess I did not understand it was a hypothetical question in regards to social behavior. I thought you were being specific to tobacco beetles.  

Now, if I found a tuna fish bone in my soda can.... :) 

Fair enough.
    I'm a newbie and have never run into it or know anything about storage or anything, so need to be schooled on it.  ;)
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    I understand I have 89 posts to your 5k+ I am also 55 and have been smoking cigars since 1979 when I joined the service So Yup I'm a newb :) but I am a happy one.
    Well, I generalized my comment, so I can see where you took it as directed to you.
    Wasn't the intent, but whatever.

I can see this was a bad post and will just get worse, so I'm out.
    I owe someone a package from my bounty on Tabako and will get that out as soon as I figure out who it goes to.

Have fun.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your worried about beetles stay away from tats, lats, crowned heads, and my father. Since you can't and neither can I take precautionary measures. The my father factory does not freeze and they produce most every cigar mentioned above. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Even though Tony abandoned this thread I'll answer since I have a related experience. I purchased a few undercrowns from a B&M, clipped one, and found a cluster of "egg" looking things. 

At the time, I did not know what the hell it was looked large to be beatles, but it was definitely a bug substance. 

I still purchased from that store, and I have bought more UC's since that. I could've contacted the store and I think I emailed DE, but then I dropped it. It was just one cigar; **** happens.  Same as getting a chicken bone in a burrito  (that happened last month). I'll get over it.

Looking back, I should've smoked it (and almost did, but wife was grossed out and said NO!). Someone commented and said it was likely milkweed bug eggs that they missed when sorting or rolling.

(Edit: there is a pic on here; I think the thread is "nasty surprise" or something like that)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    If I found a beetle I'd freeze 'em in the morning I'd freeze 'em in the evening All over this land I'd freeze out danger I'd freeze out a warning I'd freeze out love between my BOTL and my SOTL All over this land
    It's got a good beat, I could dance to it :)

• Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I'd fill it with smoke!