Home Non Cigar Related

Do you live in Vermont? or have you?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

My wife and I are planning our Oregon/big city escape once our child graduates. We don't want to pull our kid from school and have her lose her friends so that's why we are waiting to move out of state.

Im looking for first person experience from people about Vermont. Where did (or have) you lived? what were your thoughts? would you recommend it? tell me your thoughts!

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Can't help ya. I've travelled through most of the states but have only lived in seven of 'em - and Vermont wasn't one I've lived in. 

Sorry....
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Nope. Can't help ya. I've travelled through most of the states but have only lived in seven of 'em - and Vermont wasn't one I've lived in. 

Sorry....

Lotta help you are. ;) LOL Have you traveled through Vermont? if so what were your thoughts?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was a beautiful state but I can't envision my ever living in a part of the country that has winters like they do in Vermont. I grew up in Detroit and winters there were bad enough. 

The fall colors in Vermont are outstanding, though.....  
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree with what he ^ said, excellent description of the state.
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live 20 minutes from Bennington, Vt. Been thru most of the state. Gorgeous and great for skiing( except this past winter we had hardly any snow), great trout fishing, antiqueing, Mt climbing, hiking, canoeing. Perfect outdoor state and if you want to be alone. Downside is taxes are high. Worse than NY!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three quarters of the year, it is a beautiful place to live.  In October or November it starts snowing and stops some time in March, April, May...

In the fall, it is absolutely outstanding.  Politically, it's Berkly east, but you might be used to that depending what part of Oregon you are from.

Hmmmmmm the ongoing trend of bad winters might be an issue. LOL I don't mind being snowed in or anything like that. but the wife would go stir crazy. LOL I was looking specifically around the Lake Champlain area. I did a report on the lake in 5th grade and that's one of the things that got me into the idea of Vermont. I don't think of myself as an outdoorsy type. But I do love being out in the forests and secluded areas. Mostly cause im burned out on city life.

The taxes might not be an issue. we don't have sales tax here but state taxes and property taxes at TOTAL BS What do the taxes look like percentage wise VS your pay/salary? lol then the political stuff.... I almost never pay attention to a lot of politics. When I do I get mad and or depressed. LOL

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nah, and i don't think i ever would live there either. 
    i mean, don't get me wrong, vermont maple syrup is ok......but not the best.

but if you want the real deal, you gotta get syrup from canada.
    i'd consider moving to canada just for the maple syrup and poutine though. 
    #deadserious

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Sadly due to my wifes medical condition we cant live in Canada. :( She would be a drain on medical care system and would financially be disqualified to become a resident or part-time resident. :( Trust me... after we visited Victoria last year.... we looked into it.
    thanks to the government for allowing companies to charge the ASTRONOMICAL PRICES for medication. :(
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vote Libertarian...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    Vote Libertarian...

I like books and all... but don't the libraries have enough support? ;)
    No. Have you not watched "The Librarian"? He always needs more support.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Hmmmmmm the ongoing trend of bad winters might be an issue. LOL I don't mind being snowed in or anything like that. but the wife would go stir crazy. LOL I was looking specifically around the Lake Champlain area. I did a report on the lake in 5th grade and that's one of the things that got me into the idea of Vermont. I don't think of myself as an outdoorsy type. But I do love being out in the forests and secluded areas. Mostly cause im burned out on city life.

The taxes might not be an issue. we don't have sales tax here but state taxes and property taxes at TOTAL BS What do the taxes look like percentage wise VS your pay/salary? lol then the political stuff.... I almost never pay attention to a lot of politics. When I do I get mad and or depressed. LOL

For married couples, income tax rates in VT start at 3.55%, hit 6.8% between $62K-$150K AGI and cap out at 8.9%. Sales tax rates is 6%. Not sure how real estate taxes compare.

My guess is that if you're not living directly in Burlington or the areas where the hedge fund farmers live houses will cost a lot less than other more suburban areas of the NE. I imagine a house kind of on edge of nowhere might be pretty affordable.  

In terms of weather, the Burlington area is pretty far up the state, so it's more likely to colder and get more lake-effect snow and Canadian chills. I'd recommend you and your wife visit there sometime in mid-January to see if you can't stand it. I live in Massachusetts, which is no picnic in the winter either,  and I'd never be able to stand a VT, NH or ME winter year after year. 
    Oregon has pretty mild weather in comparison to a lot of the country. We have out times where it can be harsh to our standards... but im on the level where I would love an extreme on either side. One of the reasons I love Nevada. I love that heat down there. as for snow.... that just means I have to stay home and read until the thaw hits. :) LOL We will be taking a trip to Vermont in the future. if im not gonna live there (maybe) then I at least need to visit it,
    Hit the high desert. You can have both extremes in one climate.

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I would move to Oregon in a heartbeat if a) I could get the right job there and b) the missus would agree to it. 
    Oregon is a great state.... don't get me wrong. Im not moving away from the state.... im moving away from the city and family. LOL