Home General Discussion
Options

Boveda

If I have my humidor (120 count) loaded with about 50 cigars and 6 large 69% Boveda packs and my humidor is at a constant 67%, do I not have enough Boveda?

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 sounds like plenty. I usually keep 2 in to supplement other humidification. 67 is about where I like my humidor to sit anyway. 

Are they running out and drying up? Or is that 6 brand new packs?

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    might be a bad seal.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I'd be happy with a consistent reading of 67% but, that's just me. Yes, you have enough Bovedas but, is anything less that 69% in this situation unacceptable? I guess you could check your hygrometer. Calibrate and compare it against any others you may have. Next maybe check your seal with the flashlight test. There are many factors you could examine but, me?,...... I'd let it ride as is.  
  • Options
    SteveInTexasSteveInTexas Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
    They are only a couple of weeks old.  It is a new humidor.  I guess I could grab some silicon and run a few beads around the hygrometer and glass......not sure how to seal up the wooden lid any better
  • Options
    Its just me being ****........If it is supposed to be 69....by God I want 69%! LOL
  • Options
    CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Boveda always run a couple % less because it is not in a airtight environment and I am assuming is also wooden. Per Boveda website for this reason you should always run couple % higher than desired humidity level. 
  • Options
    Good info ^^^^ Did not know that but just went to the website and saw it.  Thanks.

Now if I can just get Xikar to reply to my inquiry about why their hygrometer, that cannot be calibrated, reads 4% lower than my calibrated ones.
  • Options
    Its just me being ****........If it is supposed to be 69....by God I want 69%! LOL
    LOL I know the feeling. But, I don't feel that way any more. Here lately, I don't even keep a hygrometer in each cooler/humidor since all the batteries started dying off,... again. 

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To paraphrase Shakespeare, "Methinks the lad doth worry too much"......

i keep 65% beads and it's fine with me. And if, by chance, the RH should happen to dip as low as 62%?  Well, that's even better. My sticks burn better at 62% anyway.....   B)
  • Options
    Not worried.........just "highly interested",  Its fun.
  • Options
    Good info ^^^^ Did not know that but just went to the website and saw it.  Thanks.

Now if I can just get Xikar to reply to my inquiry about why their hygrometer, that cannot be calibrated, reads 4% lower than my calibrated ones.
    I bought one of those too and it also is 4% low. I should have sent it back, but it sits in the misc crap drawer. Caliber 4r are great hygrometers. I would recommend you send it back to wherever you purchased it if you can.  
  • Options
    edited August 2016

In my not-so-humble opinion, Xikar really messed up when they took the calibration feature off of their hygrometers. I won't buy one of their hygrometers again. They will probably send you another one if you ask them to but, what a hassle.  They had a good thing with the old models. 
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    They are only a couple of weeks old.  It is a new humidor.  I guess I could grab some silicon and run a few beads around the hygrometer and glass......not sure how to seal up the wooden lid any better
    Ding ding ding. I assume you seasoned the humidor properly, and while all the other suggestions are valid, it could just be the new humidor still sucking up a little excess moisture and settling into an equilibrium.

Some have issues with glass tops and those with the inset hygros. If it doesn't lose too much humidity I wouldn't worry about sealing up anything.  I believe weatherstripping is a common solution (and is less permanent than silicone). 

Also, buy more cigars; that should help keep the rh up too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    I seasoned the humidor for 2 weeks with 84% Boveda.

In regards to Xikar, here is the response that I just received:

I am sorry to hear about your situation with your Hygrometer.  Our new hygrometers should come precalibrated, and so not have a calibrate function as it is very difficult to get to and maintain a proper environment to test and calibrate the hygrometer.  Using the conventional salt test will have some variables uncontrolled and can actually produce a lower reading( read 69-70, not the needed 75%).  Likewise, the Boveda calibration kit does not address one variable.  That is the use of a plastic bag, which, from tests of our hygrometers that I have done in a controlled setting against a certified hygrometer, compared to how those same hygrometers have tested in the Boveda calibration kit, has shown a drop of 4-6%.  I.e. in the Boveda kit our hygrometers test around 70% but in a humidity chamber against a certified hygrometer they test with in the +-2% Tolerance.  This variable is hard to maintain with a hygrometer that has a button that needs to be pushed.  In a perfect world, you set up the salt test as described in the second half of this video( starting around 4:30), or use a sealable hard walled container with the Boveda pack to check the accuracy of a hygrometer.  If you would rather not go through that process, then you can send in your hygrometer under our Lifetime Warranty and I will test it against our certified hygrometer and then will send you a picture so that you can see exactly where it is reading.  If it is outside of our +-2% tolerance then I will test a replacement, give you those results, and send it out to you under our warranty.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't stress. 67% is money.  where in TX do you live?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    About an hour east of Dallas
  • Options
    About an hour east of Dallas
    where exactly?
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me thinks someone is asking for nachos lol
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    I am in Hunt County, just outside of a little town called Lone Oak.
  • Options
    I just ordered a 2nd Xikar hygrometer.  I figure if the two read the same, then they are correct and I will recalibrate the others to match them.  4 hygrometers ought to be enough.....don't ya think! LOL
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    How come I feel like I am the target of something that I know nothing about?

I haven't been hazed since college
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just pm him your addy Steve. The worst that could happen is you need a new mailbox. LOL
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    How come I feel like I am the target of something that I know nothing about?

I haven't been hazed since college
    You like pho? 
  • Options
    Who?
  • Options

use a sealable hard walled container with the Boveda pack to check the accuracy of a hygrometer.  

I only kept that portion of the response to say; Like I said I have this same hygrometer in a junk drawer, so let's both of us test this. Put the Boveda pack in a Tupperware container with the hygrometer and in 36 hours they should read 75%+/- 2. It should be interesting. 

• Options
    I will do that.
  • Options

use a sealable hard walled container with the Boveda pack to check the accuracy of a hygrometer.  

I only kept that portion of the response to say; Like I said I have this same hygrometer in a junk drawer, so let's both of us test this. Put the Boveda pack in a Tupperware container with the hygrometer and in 36 hours they should read 75%+/- 2. It should be interesting. 

and who is you? Where in MN do you live? 
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I live in Waconia.You from MN?

EDIT: So odd I tried to reply to you @danielzreyes but I keep getting "needs approval". Now I understand why you asked :) I am at capacity and still about 11 days out on the new humidor being seasoned. that's why I asked Patrick not to send his end of the newbie trade. Thank you for the thought though :)

Steve, I set it up like this so I could monitor the hygrometer. Also just for kicks I put a Caliber 4r in there so I could compare. 

Post edited by NorthsideSmoke on
  • Options
    I'm not sending cigars, BROrthsideSmoke