Home General Discussion

Ash Question

Hello everyone,
Has anyone had a cigar ash like this?  It almost looks like it burns in layers.
I'm wondering if this is the sign of a bad cigar.
This was a sub-par stick.  It was a Ave Maria Knights Templar that I got in a shipment from CI.
The flavor was OK, but wrapper was cracked.  When I eventually removed the ring the wrapper almost completely unrolled.
It affected the draw, and left product in my mouth.
Any help would be appreciated.

P.S.: Love this forum!  The people here are great!

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks beautiful to me. I had an ugly one the other night. It looked alien. It had stems poking out going everywhere but, yours looks normal. 
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say, just a "flaky" ash.  Like Bob said, sometimes you can tell from the ash if there was a construction issue like a stem, but typically I don't think there's a lot to gain from analyzing it too closely.  

I've had great cigars where the ash is light, flaky, and falls off unevenly, and it seems like the 5 Vegas A, a relatively cheap but pretty good cigar, always has an ash that clings on and is compact. 

I bet the cracked wrapper was mostly to blame, which is a bummer.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with Bob and Gray on this one, don't think the ash is an indicator here whereas the wrapper definitely was. Sounds like the cigar may have been a bit wet, damaged, or even that the temp/rH of the environment it was being smoked in was less than ideal and caused the issue. Either way sorry it happened, but would give the Ave Maria's another chance. Had a great one today, the Argentum that was a very enjoyable full bodied and full flavored smoke.

Brett

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me follow up here,.... I was focused on the ash and really didn't pay attention to the whole post. A cracked wrapper can sometimes mess up a cigar's draw pretty bad to the point that the cigar is not worth the effort. I have always enjoyed the Ave Maria. Don't give up on this blend. After all, you did say the flavor was OK. The next one you try could be much better. 
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The layered ash look is just from the oxygen intake from when you're puffing on the cigar. 
    Puff, pause, puff, pause etc.  

"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate it that you didn't have an enjoyable experience, but after hearing others say that these are usually good, I might give Ave Maria a try.

Welcome aboard.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I remember reading once that you could learn a lot about the growing process from the ash. Stuff along the lines of "the whiter the ash, the more magnesium in the soil."  I'll do some digging and see if I can find any of it. 
  • MrSpacelyMrSpacely Posts: 8
    Thank you everyone for your help!