Was begining to get agravated!

NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Near New OrleansPosts: 154 ✭✭✭

I am new here and after reading many post I was beginning to get aggravated cause it seemed no one had bad experiences with cigars or at least willing to admit it. So I started at the end of the post and began to find others experiences with bad cigars. I am relieved I was beginning to think it was just me.

 I went to B&M and asked for mild cigars to begin the selection process. Last year at a business show I watched a cigar being rolled and was given a few samples, I requested mild. I had a great experience and thought I had a source for some sticks I liked, only to go to the website and found no joy purchasing more. Recently I decided to check the B&M and chose four different sticks. My first was Oliva Connecticut reserve in 6x50, oh what a joy to smoke. It went downhill from there. Next was Romeo Y Julieta Reserve Real Toro, I enjoyed the smoke very well, but afterward I began perspiring for nearly an hour, not sure what that was about. I don't want to experience that again. Next was Alec Bradley American and after about 5 draws I let it burn out. I could not finish it, the taste was really bad. No flavor, very harsh. I hope to not discourage anyone, just sharing my thoughts and experience.

I returned to the B&M and purchased more Oliva's Connecticut, I haven't had a chance to burn another one yet. I am apprehensive somewhat, but hope to have a good experience. My brother recommended Rocky Patel Connecticut 1999, so I found one today to try it out.

I realize everyone's taste is different and our experiences are also different. I am looking for a really good smoke and hope to find at least one to enjoy from time to time. I don't expect to smoke more than one or two a week. I really enjoy the quiet and being still for an hour or so to enjoy a good smoke. I mostly smoke alone for now, but am meeting more that enjoy cigars and opening up smoking with a few friends. Thanks for allowing me to voice my experience, so far.   

I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.

Comments

  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat West TNPosts: 4,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dirtdude is on the right path, it takes awhile. 

    You don't mention, @NOGILLS2 , your previous experience with tobacco.  Any?  Cigarette smokers sometimes have problems because they're used to inhaling.  Don't. 

    Also, be sure you've eaten.  As @Bob_Luken  will attest, carbs are what's most needed.  When you start getting that sweaty feeling, you've reached your limit.  If the feeling worsens, eat or drink some high carb comestible and the feeling should subside. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  
  • MartelMartel Somewhere in PAPosts: 3,282 ✭✭✭✭
    I like honey roasted peanuts if I get the sweats/shakes/nausea from nic.

    I like mild and the Oliva Connecticut Reserve are one of my favorites, especially the lonsdale size.  Some others you might try:

    CAO Gold

    San Cristobal Elegancia (a little stronger than Oliva in flavor, stick with the Corona)

    My Father Connecticut (stick with Corona; has a kick)

    Room 101 Connecticut

    Avo Classic

    Room 101 Daruma-save this for after you have some experience, but I've found it to be a very friendly cigar.

    I know a lot of people like the 5 Vegas offerings like the Gold, but I haven't enjoyed them much.  They're a value blend.  I actually preferred the Cigar.com House Blend American Label.  Others swear by the Purple label, which I found to be alright, too.

    You won't hear much love for Rocky around here.  He has some good blends but he's overmarketed and has a lot of not so good blends, too.  QC at Rocky isn't as bad as Gurkha, but there are some issues.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

    I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • webmostwebmost Dull-AwarePosts: 5,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOGILLS2 said:

    I am new here and after reading many post I was beginning to get aggravated cause it seemed no one had bad experiences with cigars or at least willing to admit it. So I started at the end of the post and began to find others experiences with bad cigars. I am relieved I was beginning to think it was just me.

     I went to B&M and asked for mild cigars to begin the selection process. Last year at a business show I watched a cigar being rolled and was given a few samples, I requested mild. I had a great experience and thought I had a source for some sticks I liked, only to go to the website and found no joy purchasing more. Recently I decided to check the B&M and chose four different sticks. My first was Oliva Connecticut reserve in 6x50, oh what a joy to smoke. It went downhill from there. Next was Romeo Y Julieta Reserve Real Toro, I enjoyed the smoke very well, but afterward I began perspiring for nearly an hour, not sure what that was about. I don't want to experience that again. Next was Alec Bradley American and after about 5 draws I let it burn out. I could not finish it, the taste was really bad. No flavor, very harsh. I hope to not discourage anyone, just sharing my thoughts and experience.

    I returned to the B&M and purchased more Oliva's Connecticut, I haven't had a chance to burn another one yet. I am apprehensive somewhat, but hope to have a good experience. My brother recommended Rocky Patel Connecticut 1999, so I found one today to try it out.

    I realize everyone's taste is different and our experiences are also different. I am looking for a really good smoke and hope to find at least one to enjoy from time to time. I don't expect to smoke more than one or two a week. I really enjoy the quiet and being still for an hour or so to enjoy a good smoke. I mostly smoke alone for now, but am meeting more that enjoy cigars and opening up smoking with a few friends. Thanks for allowing me to voice my experience, so far.   

    Hey NoGills

    It can be hard to find mild smokes, only because the dedicated long time cigar smoker who you ask for advice will want to hand you a red hot chunk of acrid road tar. Why? Cause that tastes real mild to them... and any amount of fumes never affect them. 

    You might actually be better off asking advice from another newb, or better yet, from a comparative newb, in my opinion. There's prolly few cigar store clerks who aren't capable of nubbing out three or four expensive triple ligeros in a shift.

    I have some fairly mild examples just languishing in my humidor. Never get round to smoking them. Send me a private message with your address and I'll rustle some up for you.




    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)


  • GoCardsGoCards St. Louis, MOPosts: 146 ✭✭✭
    @NOGILLS2 - I'm probably pretty close to where you are in the journey, so my experience is limited.  My first trip this month to local B&M (before I found this forum) they sold me Oliva Conn, Rocky 1999 and Upmann Banker.  I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Rocky - I didn't care much for its flavor.  I also liked the Oliva.  Try the Banker - it's not a connecticut, but I thought it was smooth and had a good flavor.  I would also recommend Carillo's New Wave. 

    Just stopped in the B&M again, and they don't carry CAO, so I'll have to grab some of them online when I need to place an order.

    I appreciate the responses so far - they're giving me a list of new things to try also!
  • jgibvjgibv John G.Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy that offered you the RP ....


    He's not your Brother
    #truth



    * I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Grand Junction Co.Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always have something sweet like a makers mark or even just a pepsi.....and always after a meal.
    I'm new to cigars as well, but haven't had anything like that happen.
    Sure does sound like too Michael nicotine though.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

     What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Where Bigfoots live, in the woodsPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NOGILLS2

    Welcome aboard. I can attest to all the great advice from above. As has been said, take your time between puffs to enjoy slowly a good smoke. My tastes would not be as comparable to yours, but I would suggest to look at a lot of the Connecticut Wrapper offerings on the market. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat West TNPosts: 4,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    If the feeling worsens, eat or drink some high carb comestible and the feeling should subside. 
    Who in the world uses the word comestible, Steve?  Hahaha...  thanks for teaching me a new word today... :)
    I know.  I was trying to think of something inclusive, eat or drink, and it popped in my head.  After I wrote it, I thought the same; "when did I ever use that word before?".  :o
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Sugar is key.  A teaspoon of sugar dissolved in your mouth does a world of good to cure the green feeling of death.  Learned that a long long time ago.
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Near New OrleansPosts: 154 ✭✭✭

    Thanks everyone for the responses, I really enjoy the Oliva and will stick with them for awhile. I look forward to experiencing other sticks though.

    Thanks again!

    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • YaksterYakster La Zona State of Mind when I haven't forgotten the coffee filtersPosts: 9,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    If the feeling worsens, eat or drink some high carb comestible and the feeling should subside. 
    Who in the world uses the word comestible, Steve?  Hahaha...  thanks for teaching me a new word today... :)
    I know.  I was trying to think of something inclusive, eat or drink, and it popped in my head.  After I wrote it, I thought the same; "when did I ever use that word before?".  :o
    Immediately made me think of this:


    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today.

                 Join me on the vHerf or try the iOS vHerf Link for iPhones -Chris
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Near New OrleansPosts: 154 ✭✭✭
    I managed to smoke about half of the RP Connecticut 1999 today, and I could not finish it, I let it go out.
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 FloridaPosts: 7,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOGILLS2 said:
    I managed to smoke about half of the RP Connecticut 1999 today, and I could not finish it, I let it go out.
    Smart move
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill
Sign In or Register to comment.