Home General Discussion

Easiest way to quit smoking cigars?

Comments

• EmceeEmcee Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    In all fairness, my wife bought that Warpig for me.  I probably wouldn't have tried it otherwise.  Just goes to show that I shouldn't write off a brand entirely based on a couple construction problems.  It was a good smoke, overall.
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we should plan a night where we all (everyone that wants to) smokes a Gurk and then post our experience. I too have had good and bad experiences with them.
  • SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikeTodd said:
    I think we should plan a night where we all (everyone that wants to) smokes a Gurk and then post our experience. I too have had good and bad experiences with them.
    I would be up for this. I think that would be a fun trial. However I don't have any on hand so I may need to look around for a dea. Don't wanna pay full pop for a possible firecracker!
    edited January 2017
    No no. No need for that. No need for anyone to get hurt. I'll have the mail man take the risk in the handling. My B&M has some but I am not willing to pay their mark up plus Gurkha MSRP. No thanks!
    edited January 2017
    And I thought we were friends @Sketch6995!!!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why all the Gurkha hate? I love me some Gurkha. Im a huge fan of boutique cigars but if I want something else Gurkha has always been a go to for me. I've had some issues but I've had the same issues with the big names everyone loves as well. Never had a terrible Gurkha I threw away. 

I think its it's just everyone's favorite cigar brand to bash on because it's popular to do so. People don't like the marketing and how highly they think of themselves. I bet half of you are closet Gurkha smokers. Bullies. 

I know I can't rebuild my Viaje collection overnight and I've been eyeballing a few of these Gurkha samplers here. If I was to recommend one I'd say my two favorites are the Warlord and Vintage Shaggy. Cellar Reserve is great too. If you give them a try I say grab one of those three. 
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cellar Reserve is excellent! Beast on the other hand, consistently 60% blow up on me. Over a 3 year period, I've had it happen 3 times! buy a fiver form ccom, 3 out of 5 exploded! Ccom replaced with another 5, and 3 of those 5 same result!There are so many other good brands, I just won't spend my money on them anymore!
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those that love watches, the Gurkha is like the Invictus. It is a good $120 watch, but they falsely advertise it as a $1400 watch on sale. The Gurkha is a fine $5 stick, but they falsely advertise it as a $35 stick on sale...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hjave smoked a total of 3 Gurkhas:  a Centurian which I found enjoyable, a Mil Spec which was not bad at all, then the wife picked up one of those in a tube, cognac flavor. While it smelled and tasted wonderful, it would not burn or draw at all. Did everything I could to make my New Years eve cigar smoke, but it just couldn't happen.  If I can find one locally for a decent price I'm in, always willing to try something new.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do Invictus watches have a problem with quality and workmanship?
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Diver43 said:
    I hjave smoked a total of 3 Gurkhas:  a Centurian which I found enjoyable, a Mil Spec which was not bad at all, then the wife picked up one of those in a tube, cognac flavor. While it smelled and tasted wonderful, it would not burn or draw at all. Did everything I could to make my New Years eve cigar smoke, but it just couldn't happen.  If I can find one locally for a decent price I'm in, always willing to try something new.
    Are you talking about the HMR? @Diver43
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MikeTodd

Probably the private reserve.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
    Their cheaper lines do.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    edited January 2017
    MikeTodd said:
    Diver43 said:
    Are you talking about the HMR? @Diver43
    It was a Private Reserve
    When she purchased it, several in a group were enjoying them. Guess she picked the one bad one
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Whew, I didn't know the private reserve was cognac infused also. I was about to blow a gasket if your wife spent the $$$ asked for the HMR.
    It was like 18.00 from a cigar bar
    Not overly expensive but not cheap
    That Private Reserve Cognac cigar is one that I couldn't stand. Probably the only Gurkha I have smoked and didn't like. I haven't had any of their new releases and I haven't had their cheaper offerings like Park Avenue or Hudson Bay. If you want to give them another shot try the Warlord or Vintage Shaggy. Still two of my favorite cigars. 
    The vintage shaggy reminded me too much of a giant cigarette.

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    The vintage shaggy reminded me too much of a giant cigarette.
    So a **** wrapped in burnt cat hair.  :D
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    T u r d is blocked... wtf
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Yeah but **** isn't 
    Damn it
    You could go for a misspell....

Terd

Accumulated fecal formation delivered via sphincter.

Must admit, the other two Gurkhas that I tried were enjoyable. the Mil Spec was gifted to me on Veterans Day for standing in and carrying the POW flag during a ceremony. I think that I would have enjoyed that one even if it tasted bad.
    Tonight it's a Ghurka Warpig.
    Smells like a padron, that dark almost bitter tobacco smell.

Ok the wrapper split down the middle when I cut it,  so I threw it straight into the garbage and opened a second one.
    This cut fine, and is very tasty.  I'm impressed by the flavor.
    It seems to be holding together so far.

It stayed together, and pretty tasty all the way down.  The burn was a little wonky but not bad.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50/50 burn rate.  A true Gurkha tale.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain