Home General Discussion
Options

Cuban Rum/Cigars changes

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/10/14/obama-cuba-regulations-expands-trade-travel-rum-cigars/92042662/

You can bring back as much as you want now however you are not allowed to order online yet and have it shipped here.
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    We are getting closer to the Cigar market being thrown into a frenzy. Wrapper shortages and lack of enough rollers to keep up with demand will be major concerns for sure. Prices are gonna go through the roof with demand far out weighing production. Behike's have nearly tripled in the last year. 

This does however benefit many who want custom rolled from some of the best rollers in the world that work within the hotels. There are many and they produce some of the best smokes on earth. Jorge Lopez of Club Havana would be an example. He rolls the Mons's. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where does Hamlet roll from and for who? That was hands down one of the best custom rolls I have ever had courtesy of FTG Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where does Hamlet roll from and for who? That was hands down one of the best custom rolls I have ever had courtesy of FTG Brett
    The same Hamlet that is with RP now?
  • Options
    Dunno, I am talking about the Hamlet Custom Rolls that DiamondDog used to do, those were Amazing!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    He used to work for RYJ and Partagas. He was traveling doing mostly rolling demonstrations for Habano's SA all over the world. I know he has teamed up with Rocky Patel so I am not sure what he is doing or where he is rolling now. I believe he moved to the US in 2015.

I am not sure though where he is in 2016.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has his own line out now under RP.  I tried one when they first came out and liked it.  Have been meaning to get some more.  

He seems to be in the spotlight now, so I doubt you will be able to pick up his fresh rolled smokes now. 

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/96073/rocky-patel-hamlet-tabaquero/
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Here is a Piggie from the level 9 roller.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Thanks Rod, interesting stuff wonder why he went to Rocky of all places, gotta be $$$ reasons I am sure.
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a good friend that lives in Miami, she has family in Cuba coming to visit next month, I'm hoping to arrange some.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Rod, interesting stuff wonder why he went to Rocky of all places, gotta be $$$ reasons I am sure.
    Rocky and he were/are friends, and Rocky helped him leave Cuba to relocate in Canada, as well as helping with distribution of the Hamlet cigars.  So I guess Hamlet doesn't see association with Rocky the same way some of us would.

Hamlet was at my B/M six months ago, so I got to pick his brain about stuff and watch him roll a 36" culebra.  Man, that guy knows his tobacco.  And I agree @rsherman24, his cigars are decent.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Great info Peter thanks for sharing and bet that was a terrific experience to talk to him and watch him roll, he is a true master with the leaf for sure.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are getting closer to the Cigar market being thrown into a frenzy. Wrapper shortages and lack of enough rollers to keep up with demand will be major concerns for sure. Prices are gonna go through the roof with demand far out weighing production. Behike's have nearly tripled in the last year. 

This does however benefit many who want custom rolled from some of the best rollers in the world that work within the hotels. There are many and they produce some of the best smokes on earth. Jorge Lopez of Club Havana would be an example. He rolls the Mons's. 
    First, I just saw this news in CA. I am happy about it, although I am not, nor do I know anyone traveling to Cuba.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the global tobacco market, and how Cuba responds.  I believe that the hardcore Cuban fans who live in the U.S. have already been buying cc's for a long time.  However, I absolutely agree that there will be a demand spike as soon as the embargo is lifted. I bet the craze will die off though; cc's aren't for everyone, and I certainly enjoy cigars from all over.

Hopefully the day will come soon when we can walk down to a shop and buy a box of Habanos (that is, if the FDA allows us).  
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cubans wouldnt qualify under current fda regs. They also would be in violation of trademarks sincr most cc companies now have a counterpart. Dont think they will ever see the shelves in our market
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Cubans wouldnt qualify under current fda regs. They also would be in violation of trademarks sincr most cc companies now have a counterpart. Dont think they will ever see the shelves in our market
    If the embargo is lifted, would mail order be a viable option for those of us who have never tasted the forbidden fruit?
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is right now, you just have to be in the know.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    I agree about the fda.

Altadis has an ownership stake in Habanos though, so any "U.S" versions of old Cubans brands that they make shouldn't have a tm issue (monte, RyJ, H.Uppman). I think there was already a Cohiba lawsuit.  

It'd be interesting to see what happens with other brands like San Cristobal or Bolivar.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohhh...I haven't reached that status yet. The closest I have tried is a Camacho PE.
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we are sponsoring someone to go fetch. Let me know. I got a quarter on it plus box purchase expenses 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    The actual worry is that the Cuban growers may not be able to handle the intial US market demand.  It may truly wipe out the market at some point. After, that run, there may be a glut eventually. This is going to be an interesting business dilemma, but any savvy entrepreneur would go NOW and buy in bulk and import immediately to take advantage of the intial interest-which could be profitable. After, that it would be very cyclical on harvest and production. Going to be interesting. 
    The secret word is cigars! 
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nolagizmo said:
    If we are sponsoring someone to go fetch. Let me know. I got a quarter on it plus box purchase expenses 
    I have a passport and would love be your mule! Wait.... that didn't sound right. LOL
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Cubatabaco was denied the trademark infringement for Cohiba based upon the fact that it was a prohibited product. If it becomes legal, it is very likely General will find themselves up against the fence.

I agree that the first couple years may see a decline in availability, but I think Cuba will seize the opportunity and increase production.

The other thought is that we might see collaboration between some of the US makers and cuban makers.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Email from one of the vendors this AM.

FACTS AND FIGURES

Dear Aficionados,

In the latest days, weeks and months we received plenty of info, news and rumours on what is happening with our precious Cuban cigars. With this email I would like to give you my personal opinion and some facts concerning the current supply: 

1. Due to 3 bad harvests there is a huge lack of large wrappers meaning the large vitolas became scarce.

2. A large amount of Cuban cigars has been bought by Imperial Tabaco to prepare the sales of Cuban cigars in the US

3. Exponentially increasing Tourism in Cuba increased local sales of Cuban cigars which means export is reduced

4. Yesterday the US Government announced US Citizens can bring unlimited amount of Cuban rum and cigars back to the US (previously limited to 100 USD)

This results in the following:

1. Our importer can not supply Cohiba anymore for the coming months

2. Next to Cohiba; following cigars will not be supplied anymore for the coming months: Montecristo Eagle, Partagas E2, RyJ Wide Churchill, Hoyo de Monterey Double Corona & San Juan, H.Upmann Magnum 56, Trinidad Vigia 

In my opinion this is only the beginning of a very difficult year to come and more vitolas will follow! 

Thanks to years of being in the business we have a more than acceptable stock spread over our different shops and we continue to stock as many cigars as we can to try to supply our customers in the coming months as good as we can. 

We will keep you informed and want to thank you again for your patronage.

Kind regards,

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?