Home General Discussion

Small Sample(r) Size - Who deserves a second chance?

transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
I've been smoking cigars for about 3 years and have considered myself an enthusiast for the past 2 years.  

Like many, I started with samplers.  First impressions are powerful.  

My first Gurkha was a Beauty and it was excellent.  Then I got some Beasts and they were terribly constructed.  I avoid Gurkhas.  I had a Graycliff G2 and went, "meh."  I avoid Graycliffs.  I've had mixed results with Patel (Connecticut, meh, but Edge Habano, nice), Torano (love their Bricks and Casa Toranos, but absolutely hated their Noventas) and Alec Bradley (Connecticut, blah, but Prensado very good).  I tend to avoid all 3 of these brands, except for the ones I've had success with.

Am I missing anything?  Thanks.
Kipling was a wise man.

Comments

• Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a thread here somewhere about some lunatic just bought like 35 ghurkas too see how many exploded......I forget the lunatics name...... I think the title had something to do with good way to quit smoking cigars.
    If you look you should be able to find it fairly easy
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would we know what you missed? I have no clue what your experience with samplers has been.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will smoke anything once, if it has burn/construction issues I'll smoke another.  Many cigars that i have not tried i will not buy, but if i receve something new to me i will smoke it.  In my opinion you cant gudge a book by its cover or reputation.  One will know if they like/dislike them based on smoking it.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    How would we know what you missed? I have no clue what your experience with samplers has been.
    Sorry I didn't make my point more clearly. Of the cigar brands I have been turned off by my sampler  experiences, are sticks you think I really should try?
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah. I was having a snippy type day. Most of those make a couple good sticks, but you have to wade through a lot of crap to find them. I would suggest like Patrick does. If you encounter one and it hasn't let you down twice, give it a try. But don't go out of your way to find them.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save your shekels and buy a 10er sampler from @Bigshizza
    Youll get a great selection and no dogs:)
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save your shekels and buy a 10er sampler from @Bigshizza
    Youll get a great selection and no dogs:)
    +1 on the Shizz 5'er and 10'er samplers

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/897262/5ver-10-er-sale/p1
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the RP Sun Grown, vintage 1990, Park Ave., although I haven't had any of these but the Sun Grown in some time.  You might try those. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain