Home General Discussion
Options

Winter smoking

dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
Time to move from the back patio to the front for winter, was 52 this morning. Appreciate all the bands you folks have sent me this year, used them to put a tabletop together for the front.
Oh, the cigars were great too
Cheers
A little dirt never hurt

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought you didn't smoke Ghurkas.  ?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    I like that @dirtdude I am putting mine on a poster 
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dirtdude
    That's pretty cool
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winter in Arizona?
  • Options
    Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    Great news Al! Keep us posted on your progress!
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will do. Goal is to have it done by end of November. Your all invited.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good God. it was in the 80s here yesterday, but supped to be 60s here tomorrow. Had a couple cooler mornings in the 40s.

Usually I can smoke a cigar inside in my office when it's too cold, but with a baby coming in january, I suppose that's done!  
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The house we bought has a sun porch with 7 windows, a screen door to the deck and a door to the house. The door to the house seals very well and the porch is not heated or cooled. I am trying to figure out the best way possible for ventilation so the wife will let me use it as a lounge for the winter. I have an electric heater I can use out there and the furniture is all porch stuff so it won't retain the smell. There is outdoor carpeting so I am trying to figure out a few thibgs. Plan B is the insulated garage sitting around the kerosene heater.
  • Options
    Winter in Arizona?
    It was still in the 90's last week but cooling off in the mornings, was nearly 50 this morning, front porch is a little more protected
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    I thought you didn't smoke Ghurkas.  ?
    You need glasses Peter
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikeTodd said:
    The house we bought has a sun porch with 7 windows, a screen door to the deck and a door to the house. The door to the house seals very well and the porch is not heated or cooled. I am trying to figure out the best way possible for ventilation so the wife will let me use it as a lounge for the winter. I have an electric heater I can use out there and the furniture is all porch stuff so it won't retain the smell. There is outdoor carpeting so I am trying to figure out a few thibgs. Plan B is the insulated garage sitting around the kerosene heater.
    Tile it with porcelain tile. Weather won't affect it like ceramic. Use a good thinset with additive and if you are up for it, epoxy grout

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing that our average temperature come January will be about 72-76, the back patio it shall remain.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    matkn293 said:
    MikeTodd said:
    Tile it with porcelain tile. Weather won't affect it like ceramic. Use a good thinset with additive and if you are up for it, epoxy grout
    Another probably more cost effective method would be luxury vinyl planking or tile.  Holds up to moisture very well, easy to install as they make a free floating or glue down version.  We put a free floating in a flip house and we paid about $1.29 sq/ft for it.  No other materials needed.  For ventilation depending on how the porch is setup you could use a bathroom vent or two in the ceiling or some type of fan in the window.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    matkn293 said:
    MikeTodd said:
    Another probably more cost effective method would be luxury vinyl planking or tile.  Holds up to moisture very well, easy to install as they make a free floating or glue down version.  We put a free floating in a flip house and we paid about $1.29 sq/ft for it.  No other materials needed.  For ventilation depending on how the porch is setup you could use a bathroom vent or two in the ceiling or some type of fan in the window.
    In my experience, the principal thing wrong with a bathroom vent fan is that they're so blasted noisy. I have super-sensitive hearing, though, so maybe it's just me. The only quiet ones I found were in the $100+ price range.... 
  • Options
    I'm going with a Panasonic whisper fan ducted directly outside. About $120 but are very quiet and powerful. Use them a lot in my new homes and remodels.
  • Options
    Albinfk said:
    I'm going with a Panasonic whisper fan ducted directly outside. About $120 but are very quiet and powerful. Use them a lot in my new homes and remodels.
    I've been looking at those for a long time, Albin.  What I want to find out is if the Panasonics have a motor that can be speed-controlled so that I can match the CFM to the amount of smoke in my room; if it's just me, I don't think it would need to be going full bore and sucking too much heat out of the room, whereas with another smoker or two, I'd want to crank it.  Any ideas?
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A dimmer switch for a light fixture, if the fan motor is compatible. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Guitarded said:
    A dimmer switch for a light fixture, if the fan motor is compatible. 
    That's kinda what I'm trying to find out.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    The whisper green has a control to pick 50,80,110 cfm.
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We smoke in the garage with a kerosene heater, but the ventilation is not good and the garage stinks of cigars year round. Also, my new Jeep kinda smells now too because I parked it in there in the summer. One room of the house on that wall must have a crack into the garage because that room smells too, but I bought an Oreck air purifier that seems to do the job. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd. I smoke in my living room and it smells just fine. Must be the higher elevation.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Odd. I smoke in my living room and it smells just fine. Must be the higher elevation.
    Nah, it works fine down here, too.  Anyone feeling otherwise, can always step outside.

:*
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's so beautiful... What does it mean?...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    It means the little leprechaun forgot where the hell he put his gold.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    It means that my hands are cold as hell, but I'm happier than a pig in, well, you know. Had a bit of lightning to stimulate the senses,too. Rainbows are there to let us know that regardless of all the crap going on in the world, all is just fine right here at this moment.
    Life is good, don't waste it.
  • Options
    arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Wylaff said:
    Nah, it works fine down here, too.  Anyone feeling otherwise, can always step outside.

:*
    I smoke in my livingroom too no one has said anything and like @Wylaff said they can go outside or go away lol my house my rules lol
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I needed to refill my propane tank for my tabletop heater. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )