Home Non Cigar Related

Here's one for ya, Peter....

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I know what to get you for Christmas!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yuk, Yuk. I sorta half expected you to show us the platinum plated one you already have....   :#
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mathematical model of coffee brewing lags way behind what Peter knows about coffee from experience.  There are so many variables to consider that an all-encompassing model which takes into account not only the grind size and particle distribution but also the grind shape, the temperature of the coffee while grinding, etc. that it's going to be a long time before they can explain with the maths what Peter knows from making and tasting coffee.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited November 2016
    Martel said:
    If one reads the entire post from the thread where this link originated, one would also notice the comment regarding 'a BUNCH of entertaining hooey' which I submit must be taken into account. 

N'est pas?  

There is much that can be said about the subject...  but, first I need to say thanks to @Yakster and ask if you'd consider a position on my board of directors; you could be my media person.

I used to geek out about all this stuff, but my laziness got the better of me; now I just make coffee and drink it.  The bottom line with all the geeks is, "Can you taste the difference?".  Until you've been in the coffee/espresso community, you have no idea of the extent of the geekiness.  Arguments about every stinkin' minute detail, because there's this grail of the ultimate cup or shot, and most if not all of them can't taste the difference anyway.  Obviously there's a difference between a bad cup and a great one.  But if you're starting with a great cup or shot and it gets one iota greater, can you taste it?  Many of these people are more concerned with the argument and being right than they are with the coffee.

Chris Yakster is right.  There are too many variables to think you can nail it down and have it be perfect every time.  You can get close, but it's definitely a moving target.

My motto has always been to "find a good rut and stay in it" so that plays into how I view coffee geeks, and if it's good enough then it's good enough.  Give me a good grinder, a french press, some 205* water, and I'm happy.  Well, good beans too.
    As newly appointed Director of Internet Marketing, :D  I'd like to point out that if you're having trouble picking a coffee, the Roaster's Choice is a good way to go at a nice price.

Are those the beans that got swept up off the floor?   :p
    Ha, no of course not, but it you want to get in on the ground floor of coffee we could probably work something out.  :)

So, @peter4jc, tell us what coffees you're currently roasting that you're excited about? I'm looking at your offering list and I'm having a really hard time deciding which two one pound coffees to go for. I'm thinking an Indonesian and a Central.

Panama and Bali kintimami Natural... The Bali isn't listed yet because the site manager is lazy but I'll take care of you. 
    I think Peter needs this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jj75oCfNH0

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Wilhelm scream in that vid.

I think I need one of those, too.  My preferred method of brewing.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's for anyone else who had no clue what that was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Now I'm in the know.  Never heard that term. 

I always say if I stay awake long enough, I'll learn something every day.

You guys made it happen early in the day.  Maybe I'll go for two new things today.