Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Where's the donkey?

BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mr Coffee forgot his mule' but I did score some great smelling Sumatra beans.... Yum! Not to mention some great sticks.. Indian motorcycles are a thing of beauty even when I had my Harley. One of these days! Thanks Peter-- time to get wired.

Comments

• RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter is a master, I need to order some more from him!

@peter4jc what do you recommend in a darker roast?
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow very nice hit.
    I hear you guys raving about Peter's coffee all the time, I guess it's time to find out for myself.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great hit Peter @peter4jc Jeff @sketch6995 you need to try his coffee. He makes great coffee :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter is a master, I need to order some more from him!

@peter4jc what do you recommend in a darker roast?
    Give the Flores a try.  I don't do much in the way of 'dark' since I feel that the roast flavors begin to eclipse the coffee's origin characteristics.  That, and everybody has their own idea of what dark actually means.

Glad the goodies got there OK, Jimbo.  The burro is on sick leave, but next time he'll get boxed up and sent along for ya.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Sometimes Peter uses a yak instead of a burro to deliver the coffee. What happens in Reno
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Peter, I am going to be placing an order after the holidays. The wife is getting a French press, and I don't want to ruin your stuff with the barbaric way we make coffee right now ;)

Jay6 said:

Peter, I am going to be placing an order after the holidays. The wife is getting a French press, and I don't want to ruin your stuff with the barbaric way we make coffee right now ;)

If you have a low-end/mediocre grinder, you may want to forego the french press and consider a Clever Coffee Dripper.  I use a press pot every day and like the fuller cup it makes; paper filters remove the coffee oils and produce a cleaner cup - I don't like paper for that reason - but if you're used to that, a press pot and a mediocre grinder might not produce the cup you want.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Jay6 said:

If you have a low-end/mediocre grinder, you may want to forego the french press and consider a Clever Coffee Dripper.  I use a press pot every day and like the fuller cup it makes; paper filters remove the coffee oils and produce a cleaner cup - I don't like paper for that reason - but if you're used to that, a press pot and a mediocre grinder might not produce the cup you want.
    I can vouch for the Clever Dripper. I use one and love it because it makes a great cuppa coffee without leaving any 'mug sludge' for me to chew my way through. I have a couple French Presses but haven't used one since I found the Clever. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a low-end/mediocre grinder, 

What grinder would be a nice upgrade over a low-end/mediocre grinder
    A little dirt never hurt
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine's low-end I think. It's an Ariete by Lello Mfg. I like it just fine but if it ever goes t1ts-up on me I'll probably replace it with a Baratza which, I think, is Peter's favorite. 

I got mine on eBay for about $40/$50 .... 
    A company named Baratza makes great grinders, and their entry-level model (which is good for everything other than espresso) is the Encore.  They're priced around $125.

People often spend $40-60 for a burr grinder like a Cuisinart... annualized, the cost of one of those is higher than an Encore, since the Encore will last longer... and give you a better cup every day you use it. 

The biggest reason I'm such a fan of Baratza is they have the BEST customer service; when you call them, you get a real person who knows their grinders inside and out and will help diagnose your problem.  They also stock parts and have great tutorial videos, so in effect you'll never have to throw out the grinder...  try calling Cuisinart in 5 years and asking if you can buy new burrs or drive gears.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man love the coffee edumacation we all receive. Thanks Peter!!