Home Ratings & Reviews

Pride of Jamaica

transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
My youngest kid (and only son) had a "destination wedding" in Jamaica last February.  I brought a healthy supply of my own cigars, but took the opportunity to buy this local smoke.

From what I've read, Jamaica was once a player in the cigar industry...Macanudo was based there. Then a hurricane blowed the facilities up real good and cigar-making in Jamaica dried up hard.

Anyway, being an adventurous type, I had to try one of their local cigars and bought a few Pride of Jamaica sticks.  They were bad...overwhelming leather to the point of tar.  Since they were priced at about $11 per, this was a bit of a disappointment.  

I decided to leave a couple of them in my humidor until my son has a kid of his own...he shared with me that this is in he and his bride's plans.

Anyone have any experience with these cigars.  Do they improve with age?
Kipling was a wise man.

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know nothing of the cigar you speak of, but I wonder, why not throw in a couple of cigars you know are good?  To save for this occasion.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    I know nothing of the cigar you speak of, but I wonder, why not throw in a couple of cigars you know are good?  To save for this occasion.
    HeHe, while I'm sure that I'll have plenty of very good well-rested cigars as backups, I like your thought.  I replenish my supplies monthly and will include a couple special ones in my next order.  Any suggestions?
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a Don Carlos?  Or, Ashton Sun Grown?  Those should age well.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain