Home Non Cigar Related

Phone Spammers

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Non Cigar Related
So if Google, Yahoo and microsoft can set up email that has a "spoofed" email address or altered origin information, to go to the spam folder, why can't cell phone providers do the same thing with phone calls that are not from where they say they are?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a number of apps that deal with phone spam, Tony @0patience. For my iPhone I just went to the App Store and did a search for Phone Spam. 

I ended up using Truecaller but there are other, more interesting sounding ones available, too. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta
    Thanks!
    I checked and they have it for Android.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    My pleasure, kind sir....  :D
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not own a cell phone. But my land line has proven to be susceptible to scammers and salesman. The local phone company will not offer number block, even though it is a standard service everywhere else. I did however find a Panasonic phone that does. Call comes in, push a button, and caller is never heard from again.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    jd50ae said:
    I do not own a cell phone. But my land line has proven to be susceptible to scammers and salesman. The local phone company will not offer number block, even though it is a standard service everywhere else. I did however find a Panasonic phone that does. Call comes in, push a button, and caller is never heard from again.
    I get the same call six times a day from a different number each time. Caller ID gives the name of a state. If you call back, like as not the number is not in service. Auto warranties. Get another one very similar in tactic, but for business loans. So blocking that particular number isn't gonna help a thing.

Sumbidges.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I'll answer and if there's a live person on the other end, I'll yell into the phone at the top of my voice, "STOP CALLING ME!!!" and hang up.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you block the calls just think of all the fun you miss out on.
    Expl:  This is the microsoft help desk calling.  ME. Oh wow how did you know i need help with the computer i bought today. As i turn off my WIFI and they proceed to have me check on a number that is on most PCs, tablets and laptops. I act stupid and keep saying its not working as he gives me instructions to get into my network. When i get the feeling they are going to hang up i blow a whistle into the phone. Or just say you just spent x minutes not scamming anyone. Or i pull out my soldiers book of magic words and phrases and yell those until i hear click
    Or if im busy i just hang up
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    jd50ae said:
    I get the same call six times a day from a different number each time. Caller ID gives the name of a state. If you call back, like as not the number is not in service. Auto warranties. Get another one very similar in tactic, but for business loans. So blocking that particular number isn't gonna help a thing.

Sumbidges.
    I think (Someone may know for sure) that no matter what they do to disguise who they are, that a phone with Call Block still works because it doesn't care about the ID info. Now I did get 5 or 6 calls from the same caller with a different ID each time. But I still hit the Call Block Button each time and all of their numbers eventually got blocked.

I do feel bad about Mrs Emma xxxxxx who missdialed and got me about every other day. I blocked her......sigh.
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can block numbers, and you can route text messages to a spam folder.
    Unless your with verizon.
    Verizon sux.  Can't wait to switch.
    They make you pay to block text messages.
    This is with android.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
    Hee hee. Two strikes against ya right there....  :p
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Sometimes I'll answer and if there's a live person on the other end, I'll yell into the phone at the top of my voice, "STOP CALLING ME!!!" and hang up.
    I always get a kick out of watching my wife do this!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain