Sketch's Humidor Tour

2»

Comments

• Options
    arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
     How are you going to get that humi on a motercycle lol @dirtdude
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tour, Jeff. Very impressive. 

Not that it matters at this point in the conversation but that's definitely not OSB (oriented strand board). It appears to be MDF (medium density fiberboard). I've used a bit of it in my shop back in the day..... 
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right on thanks Marty
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    Well the RH levels are finally normalizing.....
    68 at the top
    71 in the middle
    72 at the bottom

I'm hoping the cigar oasis magna 2.0 will allow me to get rid of the hydras.
    Still have to close off the top.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a nice setup.
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think closing off the top will keep the Rh level throughout?
    Seems like your losing some as you go up
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    Ya, I stuffed it full of plastic packing pillows, but it's still open.
    It's getting better now that it's getting seasoned.
    Much easier to hold RH.
    Now there's only 1 point difference between top and bottom.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard it's natural to have a humidity gradient, fans can equalize this, but you can use the gradient to your advantage if you have sticks that like different humidities or for long term aging. 

I have to admit I have a flat humidity strategy and don't have much experience with using different humidities for different sticks or long term aging. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I've heard it's natural to have a humidity gradient, fans can equalize this, but you can use the gradient to your advantage if you have sticks that like different humidities or for long term aging. 

I have to admit I have a flat humidity strategy and don't have much experience with using different humidities for different sticks or long term aging. 
    That's a great point, Chris.  I never thought about it that.  But the reason I never thought about is because I think the people who say they like this stick at 62% and those sticks at 68% are full of hooey.  There are just too many variables involved to believe that.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is this coming @sketch6995?  You get this all situated?

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    edited February 2017
    @matkn293
    I haven't done anything about the big hole, other than shove it full of air pillows. But the humidity is finally leveling out.
    It stays 72 - 68
    I'm a lot happier now than I was last week LOL.
    I saw the cabinet you bought, are you going to line it with cedar?
    The only thing I would say, is make sure it's seals properly at the door.

• Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I will be lining with Spanish Cedar.  I am sure that I will have to do some mods to get a good seal on the door.  I also plan to seal at the joints when putting this thing together.  

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options

So I had to customize a bit more.
    I got tired of the shelf on top sliding onto my head, while I was bumping it.
    So I found the right size drill bit and made a few extra holes period i inserted dowels and now they stay in perfectly.
    I've noticed it's also helping with air circulation.

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool Jeff, my OCD loves that but I cant believe I would be able to keep up on the organization it would take! Nice job and thanks for sharing!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yakster said:

I gotta admit, I read that the first time through as a 'flat eath humidity strategy', lol

I too subscribe to the flat humidity method. 69 rh bovedas, but reality it really stays between 65-67 rh. 

Digging the setup @Sketch6995! Very organized
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    I've been reading everything I can find on RH, and can find no scientific reason for humidity to gather in the middle.....with or without fans it happens.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The cigars you stashed in the middle have more humidity so are giving humidity off, switch them to the top/bottom and it will be fine, and rotate each cigar an eighth of a turn once a month(a trick I learned from @Bob_Luken) really helps in regulating humidity
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember that the flat humidity effect reverses depending on the clockwise or anticlockwise rotation of the cigars. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )