Home Cigar 101

New to the cigar world

JT44MagJT44Mag Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in Cigar 101
Hello, Wondering if I can get some help. I'm new to smoking cigars. I've smoked a few  Padrón Damaso no.12, a few Garcia y Vega , Acid Kuba kuba and  New world A.J Fernandez  which was one of the best ones. I have a Makers Mark 650 that I haven't tried yet. I need some help on finding good cigars that are not to expensive. Thanks in advance! 
JT44MAG  
Post edited by JT44Mag on

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oliva G are my go-to
  • JT44MagJT44Mag Posts: 3
    thanks for the advice 
    JT44MAG  
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great advice so far. Can attest that these guys know what they speak of.

I am fairly new myself and have learned more here than I can ever give back.

Depending on how often you smoke your cigars will depend on things such as cigar of the month club is worth your $. Keep in mind that cigars if stored properly will last a long, long time, they don't go bad unless you leave them laying on the counter or desk drawer or something like that. 

Try different brands, wrappers and such until you find what you like.

One example of trying new cigars is:  I thought maduro wrappers were the strongest of the strong and stayed away from them.  found out that I was wrong and I actually enjoy a maduro sometimes.

Relax, experiment and enjoy

Welcome

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, and all the above comments are right on point. In reference to your question, you were wanting to figure out what is the best most affordable cigar. I have been on that quest for a very long time. It will really boil down to what do you like. However, I have found that Sancho Panza made at Padron Factory, is a good affordable brand. There are several lines and brands that will fit the bill, and if you will watch the sales, and the samplers it might help you in finding that go-to Cigar. What I have found as my tastes have changed, is that what I like as a go-to, and what I think is affordable is 2 different things. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • JT44MagJT44Mag Posts: 3
    edited February 2017
    This forum is very helpful and I thank you guys for taking time out of your day to help me out. Much appreciate! Im looking into a good sampler and see what happens! 
    JT44MAG  
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out the review section then scope out the samplers. AJ has some very good stuff at a very reasonable price. That's one of the things I like about him. Samplers are just a great way to go when starting out. Some people even go so far as to take notes when they are smoking to get a better idea of what they liked about a certain cigar or what they didn't. Then you can compare blends to get a better picture of what you prefer. But palates change. One you love today in a couple months it may be humdrum and vice a versa. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what has been posted .
    Torano, AJ Fernandez, Leccia, CAO and Fuente are lines that have reasonably priced cigars that are excellent.

Keep an eye out on the daily and weekly deals for great deals on cigars to try.

But the best advice is to try, try ,try.
    Try cigars to see what the pattern is you like. When you smoke a cigar that you think is really good, find out its construction. What wrapper, filler and binder. After a while, you may see a pattern emerge.

I'm a Cameroon wrapper fiend. Love most cigars that use a cameroon wrapper. Some guys prefer Connecticut wrappers and don't like Cameroons. It's all in what your tastes are. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a few samplers. When you find one you like in the sampler, read up on that stick. What wrapper, binder, filler, and who blended it. Then find similar smokes. Don't be afraid to take a chance, I just wouldn't do a box purchase unless you have tried a few. 

If you like the New World you should try an Enclave. 
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

When people ask me what type of cigar I enjoy my answer is usually "Yes."  The answer is often the same for music, coffee, tea, and many other assortment of enjoyment.  With cigars, I always like to keep in mind that I'm burning money.  It conjures a different feeling when it's put like that.  While I don't mind throwing down some money for some good cigars every once in a while, most of what I smoke, and I have a feeling most other people are like this, aren't your top shelf cigars.  Most have an "every day cigar" or "yard 'gars" or one I recently heard "car 'gars." 

While I agree with what everyone here has said thus far, here's a small list of cigars I like to keep stocked in my humidor that don't make "burning money" feel so bad:

Gran Habano 3 SLS - These are my golf course cigars.  They're cheap, they're not too strong, and they have a good but not great flavor.  I like these aspects of the cigar for golf because they don't take my attention away from the game. 

Cuba Libre -

Cuba Libre One - Current Every day for me

Padilla 1948

Padilla Habano

Don Rafael Nicaragua - Current Every day for me

Chillin' Moose

Chillin' Moose Too

Obsidian White Noise

Again, please don't take this as me telling you what to like.  These are just some cigars that I have found through the years that consistently have given me an enjoyable experience at a price my wife doesn't get pissed at me about!!!

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

When people ask me what type of cigar I enjoy my answer is usually "Yes."  The answer is often the same for music, coffee, tea, and many other assortment of enjoyment.  With cigars, I always like to keep in mind that I'm burning money.  It conjures a different feeling when it's put like that.  While I don't mind throwing down some money for some good cigars every once in a while, most of what I smoke, and I have a feeling most other people are like this, aren't your top shelf cigars.  Most have an "every day cigar" or "yard 'gars" or one I recently heard "car 'gars." 

While I agree with what everyone here has said thus far, here's a small list of cigars I like to keep stocked in my humidor that don't make "burning money" feel so bad:

Gran Habano 3 SLS - These are my golf course cigars.  They're cheap, they're not too strong, and they have a good but not great flavor.  I like these aspects of the cigar for golf because they don't take my attention away from the game. 

Cuba Libre -

Cuba Libre One - Current Every day for me

Padilla 1948

Padilla Habano

Don Rafael Nicaragua - Current Every day for me

Chillin' Moose

Chillin' Moose Too

Obsidian White Noise

Again, please don't take this as me telling you what to like.  These are just some cigars that I have found through the years that consistently have given me an enjoyable experience at a price my wife doesn't get pissed at me about!!!

I haven't tried the Chillin' Moose, but I totally agree with the rest of the list, especially the Padilla.