Home Non Cigar Related

robo calls.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just found out about something from our land line phone carrier and the best thing, it's free for landlines.
http://www.nomorobo.com/

Takes a bit to get it set up, but so worth it.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a landline?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a landline?
    I think that's a nautical term. Isn't it? The line you use to tie your boat up to the dock or whatever.  

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more landmines
    A little dirt never hurt
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something you use on a game show? 

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I can't convince the old lady we do not need.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's free then @danielzreyes will be in line on land
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @0patience , where I live cell phones don't usually pick up.  I also still use the woodstove occasionally, and have a hand operated coffee grinder for the frequent electricity outages. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Robots have rights too.
    2. I dislike phones of any kind.
    3. Drums, smoke signals, yelling and carrier pigeons work just as well in this modern     era.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get a kick out of figuring out some of the robocalls. For example, one that I used to get (before I got the app to block 'em) started out with my phone ringing. I learned that I should answer "Hello" one time and then wait. If you wait long enough, you get logged as an answering robot and they don't call again. But if you say "Hello" a second time they know they've connected with a human and they'll continue calling your number. 

Another one that's cute goes like this: your phone rings and you say hello just once and wait. After a few seconds a female voice says "Oh, hi. I was just having a problem with my headset". This is supposed to make you think you're talking to a real human. If you say a word, you're cooked. 

Yet another one goes:  your phone rings and you say hello. The voice on the other end asks "Is Fred there?"  You say there's no one by that name at this number. Then they say "Oh, well, as long as I have you on the line have you heard about our wonderful special price on ....... (whatever). Again, you're cooked - because they know a human answers this number and they'll call it again.... ad infinitum. 

Ain't life fun??  :p
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since getting this set up, we haven't had one robo call. 
    In fact, the phone only rang once since then and it was the pharmacy.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    edited March 2017
    I get robo calls all the time, from my humidor. Answered this one. (See next post)