Home General Discussion
Options

CA top 25. Really?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was looking at CA's top 25 cigars of 2016.
HdM, Punch, Henry Clay, Brick House. WTF??

Then there is a bunch on there that I've never even heard of.
Who makes up these lists?  
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's one reason I never have anything to do with CA. I think they're mainly just a bunch af flaky snobs. (Snobby flakes?)

• Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah....pretty much what @jlmarta said.  Who really cares what CA has to say about anything.  I mean, every newb that comes on these boards asking about which cigars are the best we all throw out a couple ideas but mostly tell them the same thing "Don't listen to anyone tell you which cigars are better than others.  Try them all and smoke what you like."  We'd be fools to not follow our own advice.

I'm not sure who it was but last year some "authority" named Crown Royal Rye the best whiskey in the world.  I just thought that was the most silly, subjective thing I'd ever heard.  Of all the different types of whiskey produced around the world, this Canadian Rye is the best.  Don't get me wrong.  I own a bottle and it's good, but where does someone gets off saying Canadian rye is better than kentucky bourbon, or the several different regions of scotch, or any of the numerous boutique whiskeys popping up around the US.  It's non-sense.
  • Options
    Trust me, I never give much credence to them and I agree, but what bothers me is that this is a magazine that is supposed to be keeping up with this industry and putting reliable information out.

Is Punch really in the top 25?
    I'm not saying it's a bad cigar, but construction, flavor and all, it hardly stands out above the rest.

I'm assuming they have several people who input on this list and I have to wonder what else they were smoking.  ;)
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you had that particular Punch, Tony?  I haven't, but would like to take it for a spin.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    peter4jc said:
    Have you had that particular Punch, Tony?  I haven't, but would like to take it for a spin.
    I have and I stand by my comments.
    It is good. It has a lot going for it.
    But, it isn't anything out of the ordinary. Which is why I'm confused as to why it is on the list.

If you look at the hundreds of other better constructed cigars out there, it's mediocre.
    In my opinion, any General cigar making on the list is questionable, even my cherished Partagas or Toranos.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like they say on the cop shows, "follow the money trail". I'd bet lunch that endorsements of that type are costing some cigar outfit a buck or two, here and there. 

Lunch, show or game tickets, etc. It all adds up. 
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked their list. That means the cigars I like won't be on backorder for the next year.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^this guy has it figured^^^^
    A little dirt never hurt