Home Cigar 101

How to keep up?

KidTexKidTex Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
I'm brand new to the cigar world.  I've read everything I can find, but the one thing i'm having trouble with is this.  How do you keep up with which cigars you've tried and liked?  Does everyone just go off of their memory or do you keep records?

Comments

• MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum @KidTex! Be sure to mozy over to the newbie welcoming thread.

I personally keep a record. I've found the bands make great note pads. I you're looking to make a more in depth report then you might consider buying a composition book. As Peter said, the more information you record the easier it will be for you to narrow down what you like.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • KidTexKidTex Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    Haha! Memory isn't my best quality, that's why I asked.  My first cigar purchase was a pretty uneducated spur of the moment thing, with little research, though I am not unhappy with them.  I bought some JR Cuban Alternative Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2.  The problem is I bought 20 of them, so I don't have a lot of room for other stuff in my humidor I got to try out :(
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KidTex said:
    Haha! Memory isn't my best quality, that's why I asked.  My first cigar purchase was a pretty uneducated spur of the moment thing, with little research, though I am not unhappy with them.  I bought some JR Cuban Alternative Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2.  The problem is I bought 20 of them, so I don't have a lot of room for other stuff in my humidor I got to try out :(
    Cooler time
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I created a spreadsheet in Google Sheets for my cigars and I note down the ones that I would buy again and the outstanding ones in it.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could start a tupper-dor for your overflow sticks. 
    lol. I've got a guys night coming up soon and i'm sure they'll go like hotcakes.  Any suggestions on what to order next? 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samplers.
    Get a scrap book, when you find a cigar you like, paste the band in it with a few comments. Problem solved.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KidTex said:
    lol. I've got a guys night coming up soon and i'm sure they'll go like hotcakes.  Any suggestions on what to order next? 
    Are they regular smokers? How much you want to spend per guy? Because, a box could be way cheaper than singles or bundles. 
    Bob_Luken said:
    KidTex said:
    Are they regular smokers? How much you want to spend per guy? Because, a box could be way cheaper than singles or bundles. 

Guys night is when i'm gonna get rid of a bunch of the JR Alternatives I ordered.  I'm looking for maybe a sampler to try out for myself
  • GrawlsGrawls Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    0patience said:
    Samplers.
    Get a scrap book, when you find a cigar you like, paste the band in it with a few comments. Problem solved.
    Scrapbooking?! Lol no thanks, my wife makes fun of me enough as it is. :smile: Maybe it's just me but I don't forget the good ones
    Grawls said:
    0patience said:
    Samplers.
    Scrapbooking?! Lol no thanks, my wife makes fun of me enough as it is. :smile: Maybe it's just me but I don't forget the good ones

Being new to the cigar world, i'm not familiar with the names of a lot of cigars yet.  I've smoked a few with no idea what they were :sweat_smile:
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheet, I'm 25 and can't remember half of what I should. Must have something to do with being raised by old folks. 

Like the scrapbook idea btw.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always throw the bands of the cigars you like into a bowl and then paw through them later for ideas if scrapbooking seems like too much.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KidTex said:

Being new to the cigar world, i'm not familiar with the names of a lot of cigars yet.  I've smoked a few with no idea what they were :sweat_smile:
    When I first came here, I knew the major players pretty well, Fuente, R y J, etc., but there are SO many choices here.  I joined the Cigar of the Month, kept records of my impressions for a couple years, but after awhile you'll just get to know what you like.  The descriptions will start making sense to you, and you'll be fine.  Besides, how much fun is it to try new stuff?  Have fun!  :)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Oh, from the title I thought this was an addendum to the Bum of the Week thread.

Great advice gentlemen, carry on
    A little dirt never hurt
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Grawls said:
    0patience said:
    Samplers.
    Yep, it's just you.
    Us old guys have a hard enough time remembering what the hell we did 15 minutes ago.
    I don't know what you guys are talking about.  I'm 70 and I have a perfect memory... what were we talking about?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    At first it may be difficult to remember what cigars are what. However, as cigars become a part of your life it just happens. When you spend that much time you gain a familiarity with them. 

I recommend remembering blenders if you can rather than individual cigars. 
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many cigars to choose from, and great advice from the members here. 
    I would recommend you try to find a vitola ( size and shape) of a cigar you are comfortable with. Churchills are big and beautiful but can take two hours or more to smoke and can be expensive. Robusto, toro, and coronas are usually less expensive and a shorter time commitment. Good luck and enjoy the journey! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    When I first started smoking a kept a record of everything.  After a while it became homework so I stopped. Now I remember just enough to know what to smoke and what not to.  If I ever have a doubt on a cigar that i might have smoked I have no problem lighting it up again and seeing if this time around it ends up becoming a keeper in the brain.