Home General Discussion

Guess I need a vacation in Canada.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion

As of October 17, 2016, the purchase or other acquisition in Cuba and importation as accompanied baggage into the United States of merchandise is authorized, provided that the merchandise is imported for personal use only. The importation of Cuban-origin information and informational materials is exempt from the prohibitions described in 31 C.F.R. § 515.206.

Under the provisions of 31 § C.F.R. 515.204 (d), individuals who are persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction are authorized to import into the United States as accompanied baggage merchandise subject to the prohibitions in § 515.204, including Cuban-origin goods, that is purchased or acquired in a third country, provided that the merchandise is imported for personal use only.

Reference: U.S. Customs and Border Protection

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, Canadian taxes will kill you. Duty free shops are no deal also.
    ordering from Swiss grey market is still the lowest pricing.
    i did just bring back 2lt of Havana Club via JFK with no issues. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Understood.
    We go up to Victoria BC fairly often and stop in at the cigar store there. 

Mostly just wanted to let the guys know what I found out about bringing back Cc stuff.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • JET55JET55 Posts: 20
    Might be reviving a dead thread but..... approximately how much are the duty/taxes for the CC in Canada? I travel frequently and will be up in the Montreal area at the end of the year. I was thinking of bringing some sticks back but was wondering how much extra I'd be paying. Is there any other "cheaper" country to get some CC from? I've got a butt load of frequent flyer miles I could use for a long weekend so the trip would be almost free. TIA!

Not sure what the taxes and stuff are, but the last time I was in Victoria BC, Partagas Serie D #4 were $18 each.
    So it isn't cheap.
    I'm sure that one of the Central American or Caribbean countries is probably considerably cheaper, but unless you go to an authorized seller, the chances of fakes is pretty high. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    I did ask at my local store for a good destination, they weren't big travelers so no real good recommendations. But I suppose I could look up the distribution list for a specific maker and then see where they're sold. A nice hop to a warmer climate in the winter time would be worth it too!
    La Casa Del Habano authorized stores. 
    That is what you are looking for.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oyam123 said:
    I came through JFK in Feb also no issue, but only had 1 box.
    deadman said:
    Oyam123 said:
    I came through JFK in Feb also no issue, but only had 1 box.

Nice! What did you pick up?
    Monte #4 , went out with friends a few nights and blew my cigar budget.  :(

I don't have anything in mind yet, but I just looked up the review on the Monte#4 and it looks like a promising smoke. I figure I would try a few while I was there first and that way I wouldn't bring back something I'd regret. Like that would ever happen... lol
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are cheaper ways to obtain CC's.  Order 'em online.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait....you can order CC's online and they'll be shipped to this country? I didn't kow that was a thing!
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markwell said:
    Wait....you can order CC's online and they'll be shipped to this country? I didn't kow that was a thing!
    My neighbor does this all the time. Unfortunately customs seizing packages can be a problem, my neighbor has lost thousands of dollars and still refuses to buy and smoke anything but CC's. He did work out a deal with the place he buys from to reship at a certain percentage of the order total, taking more of a loss and seizure can still be a problem. He does all this just to only smoke CC's :|   
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeeze. I guess if you've got thousands to throw around, more power to ya. I can't imagine CC's are THAT much better. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    Markwell said:
    Jeeze. I guess if you've got thousands to throw around, more power to ya. I can't imagine CC's are THAT much better. 
    Yes and no.
    But unless you are buying something like Behikes or something like that, they really aren't that expensive.
    As far as good, well that subjective, but if a Torano 1916 and a PSD4 were put in front of me and I had to chose one, the PSD4 would be my choice.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Forbidden Friut Syndrome. 
    The price and taxes on booze and tobacco products in Canada is outrageous! 
    You might want to sample a few there, but online prices are much better. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Guitarded said:
    That may have been the case, but it is so available now, that it really isn't forbidden anymore.
    I can run up to Vancouver and buy as many as I want or purchase online with as little effort as buying from ccom.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience said:
    Guitarded said:
    That may have been the case, but it is so available now, that it really isn't forbidden anymore.
    I can run up to Vancouver and buy as many as I want or purchase online with as little effort as buying from ccom.

Everywhere I try online tells me credit card only.
    I'm confused.
    Is there another way to buy online?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience said:
    I'm confused.
    Is there another way to buy online?
    I use PayPal mostly, but I have used my debit card.
    edited September 2017
    Oh!
    I didn't think about PayPal. 
    The only thing I can think of with a debit card is letting your bank know you will be making an international purchase.
    We have to do that when we go to Victoria BC, otherwise, they block the purchase. 
    And standing at a hotel desk with them saying your card has been declined is a bit nerve racking, not to mention embarrassing.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller I've bought from a few times guarantees that if your shipment doesn't make it, they'll Re-ship at no additional cost.