Home Cigar 101
Options

How should I store my cigars?

2»

Answers

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Smoke indoors where the humidity should be lower due to the A/C taking it out of the air or when the outside humidity is around the cigars RH, if it ever gets that low.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right @0patience my question is what's the best remedy for that?  Because you can't change the humidity outside of the box?
    This is why folks recommend letting it sit where you will be smoking. 
    If the wrapper has leveled out to the humidity of the filler, you have less problems.
    So, in a high humidity area, there is that "sweet spot" that the wrapper, binder and filler will become relatively close in humidity.

Because they are all different materials, they will pull moisture at a different rate.
    Letting it sit out for about 30 minutes or so, will help those levels to become consistent.

You want those percentages to be as close as possible, but still remain relatively the area you want.
    By letting it sit in the area you will smoke, the wrapper and binder can pull moisture out of the filler and level out. 

Imagine the filler as a sponge. The binder as a wash rag and the wrapper as a paper towel. The sponge holds the most moisture, the filler a little less and the wrapper, especially thin wrappers, very little. 

Once you light it, realize that the most moisture will expand exponentially once heated.

So while you cannot change the humidity outside the box, you have to try and equal everything out and my suggestion would be on hot days with high humidity, go for cigars with heavy wrappers, such as maduros.

For example, earlier today, it was 78 degrees and 80% humidity.
    A cameroon was not in the cards, so I went with a La Historia El Senador.
    And even then, the burn had to be touched up a few times.

Those folks in low humidity areas, can have the opposite problem, where their cigars will try and burn the wrapper too fast, cause it tries to dry out quickly.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Hello, I live on the Northshore, I have used a cooler, since I restarted smoking cigars. I use Kitty Litter as my humidity control, I maintain 70 degrees and 66/67 RH. I have about 200 sticks, and I have not had any issues with this setup. I have a 50 quart chest, with about 2 - 3 pounds KL. I also use an indoor/ outdoor thermometer I purchased at Lowe's for $20.00. If you have any questions pm me and I'll be glad to give you my cell number, so we can talk. Floyd, @NOGILLS2. Feel free to reach out to me.
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Options
    HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's up @NOGILLS2. Nice to have someone else here from the same area. I might take you up on the offer on one of my off days. I don't necessarily have issues with my storage setup (except I seem to be already outgrowing it). Ill try the letting the cigar sit outside where I'm going to smoke it for like 30 minutes and see what happens but that's kinda hard sometimes like when I get off of work. 
  • Options
    CigarcrazyCigarcrazy Posts: 4
    I just got into smoking cigars and I have come home with some cigars. I have a box of Montecristo Robustos from Cuba and I also have some cigars purchased from one of the tobacco farmers over there(excellent by the way!!!). I love in southern Louisiana where we typically have a high humidity climate.  I'm not sure that I will be buying a humidor right away. The farmers cigars came wrapped in a palm leaf and stored in a plastic shopping bag which he says is how they store their cigars for up to 5 years. The montecristos are in the box. Is a tupperdor my best option?  Any and all advice would be welcome. 
    You could also put in a freezer if you don''t have a humidor at the time. You could always get that at a later time just make sure you put in a sealed enclosure, before you freeze.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice necro, @Cigarcrazy, too bad @Heavysetrapier hasn't been around lately, I hope he's figured out his coffee storage by now.

Welcome to the forum.  You should introduce yourself on the Newbie Welcoming Thread and consider doing a Newbie Trade if you want to stick around for the fun and games. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    MudphlapMudphlap Posts: 7
    edited October 2018
    Hey, everyone, this Mike and I live in south central Missouri with a simple question. Should the cigars be stored wrapped or unwrapped? I picked up a tall humidor with about $900 worth of stogies for $50. Best yard sale ever.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If by wrapped you mean incellophane or not then it doesn’t matter. If you are talking another form of wrapped then no. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Mike.

Keeping your cigars in cello can help protect the wrapper, especially if you paw through your cigars on a regular basis looking for something to smoke.  It also helps retain moisture in the cigar, though the cellophane is permeable to air and you can use the color change of the cellophane to estimate how old your cigars are.

I leave the cello on, but don't worry about cigars that came without cellophane.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Thanks,  guys. I knew the answer but, I wanted to verify it from someone else. 
  • Options
    firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mike post a pic of your score I’m sure we’d all love to see what you got
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Indeed a sweet deal. I totaled the value and it hit $997. Well over 50 cigars for $49 bucks and some change. The thing on top is an air purifier.l
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice haul there buddy! One thing I noticed though: it looks like you have that humidor directly below an A/C unit. Might want toconsider relocating it to somewhere else as that can severely swing the temp and RH levels. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to hit more estate sales.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Cigar_11Cigar_11 Posts: 1
    I have a humidor that is 68"H 23"W 15"D and holds a max of 1500 cigars.  I usually have about 500 to 600 cigars at one time.  I live in Illinois and have very dry winters and very humid summers and have trouble controlling the RH.  Currently use a humidifier with a blower that has beads that swell and I use distilled water.  Should I switch to Heartfelt beads?  What % beads would you recommend?  I am getting tired of calibrating my hydrometers and turning the RH up and down.  Please give me some direction.
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigar_11 said:
    I have a humidor that is 68"H 23"W 15"D and holds a max of 1500 cigars.  I usually have about 500 to 600 cigars at one time.  I live in Illinois and have very dry winters and very humid summers and have trouble controlling the RH.  Currently use a humidifier with a blower that has beads that swell and I use distilled water.  Should I switch to Heartfelt beads?  What % beads would you recommend?  I am getting tired of calibrating my hydrometers and turning the RH up and down.  Please give me some direction.

You're storing maybe 1/3rd the cigar capacity of the humidor, that's probably an issue. You have several options, and I don't know if it's a wooden humidor or not, I can assume this and move on. You could fill it up with more cigars (like we sick people love to do), or you could use cigar boxes to help displace some area and help to boost your RH a bit and keep the same system you have. Next, you could decide to get a Coleman cooler, say 50qt capacity and utilize that for the winter or for good. Some folks prefer form over function, so the choice is yours. Finally, you could also go with a couple Boveda 320gram packs with some space arrangement like I suggested above, or a suitable amount of smaller, 60gram Boveda packs. Again, only speculating on your setup, but wooden humidors do breathe a bit, they are made of wood obviously, and the RH will sometimes change since it's constantly fighting with external forces. For homes with adequate humidity and temperature environments, wood is not usually a serious issue. I don't use a dehumidifier, and I live up in the northeast, so I ditched the wooden humidors and went the acrylic and cooler route to hold my bulk storage. I think I covered most of it, if I didn't, I am sure somebody will point it out. I'm learning some of this as I go along as well.
    You are a new poster, so until you become better known here I doubt there's much more to expect at the moment, but you still have the rest of the forum to read since much of this has been covered quite a bit.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."