Home Cigar 101
Options

Need help with storing without a humidor

CaptainStogyCaptainStogy Posts: 1
I just purchased about 6 cigars on here and don't have a humidor, I was wondering if there was any ways I could store them without a humidor and make them last as long as possible. I was thinking of putting them in a zip lock baggie and then into a Tupperware container
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a Boveda pack you can store them in a Ziploc bag or a Tupperware container.  You can also try those humidity pillows if you don't have a Boveda but they can over-humidify your cigars in such a tightly closed system as a bag or a Tupperware where the Boveda's will raise or lower the humidity.

For short-term storage you can throw them in a bag or Tupperware right from the store you bought them from, but if you had them shipped to you they may need the benefit of a Boveda and a couple weeks rest to get them back to the right humidity.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just get the Boveda's and don't worry. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a Tupperware guy for many years.  Works like a dream.  Get the Boveda.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    get the boveda...skip....get the boveda...skip
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    CloudWarmerCloudWarmer Posts: 3
    I have some in one of those plastic jars, from cigar.com, and also in a repurposed Trijicon sight case, and I have a large mason jar with lid that will be put into service next order. Yes, all have Bovida packs. 
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some in one of those plastic jars, from cigar.com, and also in a repurposed Trijicon sight case, and I have a large mason jar with lid that will be put into service next order. Yes, all have Bovida packs. 
    And those plastic humidor jars can be had cheap.
  • Options
    Shane92Shane92 Posts: 2
    Some guy shopping around for cigars once told me it's okay to put them in zip lock bag and put them in the freezer. Is this actually viable? 
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try a boveda pack in a ziplock. I personally would do a Tupperware dish and a boveda. I would not freeze them thinking they will keep fresh until you are ready to smoke them. Most here only freeze for a few days to kill Beatles and there is a process to it