Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Cutters

Comments

• Options
    22coleman22coleman Posts: 11
    What are your preferences on the cuts? Straight or v? 
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    22coleman said:
    Yes.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xikar VX V cutter is my go to.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    22coleman said:

I like both v-cuts and straight cuts. On some cigars you can't really use a v-cut but all cigars can be straight cut.  So if I had to recommend only one cutter for a new guy wanting his first "good" cutter, it would be the Xikar xi2.  And yes, it's worth the investment. They usually go for $30 in a shop or online but on an auction site you can get one for $18 to $22 easy, but to make the shipping charges worthwhile you might as well bid on some cigars too :)

The Xikar xi1 is supposedly better, but I don't like my xi1 better than my xi2. Both seem to function exactly the same and have the same blades. (From their website: All Xi Cutters feature 440C stainless steel blades with a Rockwell HRC 57 rating)  I actually prefer the feel of the xi2 in my hand. It's slightly thicker and the texture of the nylon-fiberglass composite provides more grip for me than the smooth aluminum finish on my xi1. That's just personal preference.     

And for a second "good" cutter I would recommend the Colibri V cutter.   

• Options
    I don't know if it's because the Xikar is a shallower cut, but I use it for all my cigars.
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    I don't know if it's because the Xikar is a shallower cut, but I use it for all my cigars.
    I just realized something. I was thinking you had a VX V. But, I looked back at page one of this thread and in the pic,..... pretty sure you have the VX2 V. (Or maybe ya got both.) 

Found a cool article on the XV2 that makes comparisons with the VX and Colibri V. 
    https://halfwheel.com/xikar-vx2-v-cut

• Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I would agree straight cutter for your first.  I'm a Colibri gal so I have the straight, V, and punch. Just depends on your cigar but I tend to use the V or punch more often. 
  • Options
    TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used all of the above...current preference is the V cutter...On a rare large ring gauge cigar, I've used the V twice to effectively create an X cut which seems to have worked fine...
  • Options
    I've done the X a few times.
  • Options
    22coleman22coleman Posts: 11
    Thank you all for the recommendations and insight. 
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a bunch of cutters but my favorite one is a cheap freebie with two thin blades.
  • Options
    I've never been impressed with any Colibri "Cut". Gillotine cutters. I've had a few different ones and they all have a tendency to pinch the head. I came across one of my old ones and tried it again for the first time in a while. Have made a handful of cuts and this particular one may have a problem with the button grabbing or"Putting the brakes" on the blades. Gonna try and add some oil. What kind would be best? WD40 makes me wonder if it would ever migrate to the blades and foul the taste. But vegetable "cooking oil" might me too thick. I dunno. Anyway, Are any of you happy with a colibri cut even if you have tried xikars and Palios? (bettercutters in my opinion)

https://youtu.be/gXR6onEmrm0

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Maybe this low viscosity cutting board oil.

I clean my cutters up with ISO Alcohol, oil could attract dirt and dust and gunk up the cutter.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At our shop the maint guys use air line oil when reg oil may be to thick or sticky.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about using bees wax? Shouldn't have any after taste imo.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Food grade spindle oil. Then clean the blades with isopropyl alcohol. Use the oil sparingly.  Maybe even taste it first.
    Post edited by IndustMech on

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    I have a new pony in the stable. Got a Palio guillotine and man those blades are smooth. Such a clean cut. Feels very good in the hands because of that little thing jutting out on each end. That's apparently a rest for your ring finger. It makes everything feel natural, very ergonomic. Gives you more leverage against your thumb. Ever since I discovered Xikar xi cutters, I have had no desire to use sliding guillotine cutters that operate in this same way as the Palio. They felt awkward to me, now I know why,...... that little ring finger rest was missing. The opening is a little small. Big ring gauges might be a problem but, other than that, no drawbacks. And the cutter has a built-in cigar rest, whether by design or not, it's handy.  
    Image result for Palio guillotine
  • Options
    I use the cigar rest feature on my Xikar VX2 V cutter all the time.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I've started taking pics of my cuts, see my recent cigar posts.

• Options
    fkizdifkizdi Posts: 1

Has anyone tried one of these two cutters? Looking to get a new one and I do like a v-cut once and awhile.

https://youtu.be/D_c1U5E1rn0

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fkizdi said:
    Has anyone tried one of these two cutters? Looking to get a new one and I do like a v-cut once and awhile.

Terrible video. Do not listen to anything that guy says

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use these three pretty frequently and have never had an issue. I use a v-cut and punch occasionally...depends on the cigar. I have to agree with @Bob_Luken the Palio just has a great feel in the hand. I’ve carried the Colibri for about ten years as you can tell by the wear...it just fits better in my pocket.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a notch in the blade of the middle one rusty?

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Looks like a notch in the blade of the middle one rusty?

That’s a glare from the window

• Options

@fkizdi said:

Nice Don Diego. I think that porche cutter physically rejected that one and the big donkey dïck that just said "gar" on the band.

If this is your video, it's too long bro. That's what she said. Oh, and it's weak sauce to post your own video and claim that it's not.

If this isn't your video and your question is legit, I would say that some people like all the high-end cigarbage to go along with their Ferrari watches and Hyundai sonatas. In this forum, we generally consider those people to be douchebags.

Go get you a palio cutter bro. It cuts better than all of this mirror finished garbage, and it's made in the USA brother.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

I use these three pretty frequently and have never had an issue. I use a v-cut and punch occasionally...depends on the cigar. I have to agree with @Bob_Luken the Palio just has a great feel in the hand. I’ve carried the Colibri for about ten years as you can tell by the wear...it just fits better in my pocket.

I have the same palio cutter and the blades dulled pretty quick on it. Its more of a blunt object now so I dont use it anymore

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    edited July 2021

My palio still works good, but I keep it in my golf bag. It's bright orange so I don't forget it in the cart. Here are the five styles I use most often:

The lotus jaws on the left has serrated blades and doesn't dull. The Xo is more show than dough. Don't know if the gear mechanism does anything real for the cutting process. Every colibri I've had, like the sv, has broken oin some way, but they make the best V cutter. The Xi is consistent.

The s&s is okay. It's a lotus and has a closed back, so no measuring. I think it cuts too much off, but I keep it on the back porch as a backup. It's the replacement unit (original was defective).

Don't look ↑