Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee grinder

genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I burned up my hand me down electric grinder by going off the grid and bought some beans from Costco( I have learned my lesson, Peter). The beans looked wet and well I ground them up anyway or tried to. Any suggestions on a nice electric grinder that is not going to break the bank. Thanks and have a great weekend.

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use this one, easy to clean, it is a bit pricey but worth spending a little extra.
    www.amazon.com/Bodum-Grinder-Electronic-Continuously-Adjustable/dp/B0043095WW
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use this one, easy to clean, it is a bit pricey but worth spending a little extra.
    www.amazon.com/Bodum-Grinder-Electronic-Continuously-Adjustable/dp/B0043095WW

Same one I bought from @peter4jc some time ago and it works great.
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Capresso Infinity burr grinder from bed bath and beyond. $80 w/coupon. I've had it about 4 years, still going strong. Whatever you get, make sure it's a "burr" grinder.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a Baratza Encore for my folks, they ended up not liking it (because they used oily beans and didn't clean it out so they jammed up the grind path) and switched to the Infinity which they like.  I took it back, cleaned it up, and re-gifted it to Wayne who reports no problems with the grinder.  Patrick has one too and it's dragging him down the coffee rabbit hole.   :D

Buying a Baratza grinder also means that you'll be able to get replacement parts, I think they even still support the old Starbucks Barista grinders, and if you need to buy them they price the parts very reasonably.  I've spoken with Baratza about this and they're committed to keeping grinders out of landfills, their support is also excellent.

If you're budget is really tight, you can check the Baratza website to see if they have any refurbished grinders available for sale.  They support their refurbs for 1 full year and their prices are very competitive.

I use the Baratza Vario for my coffee, pour-over and the occasional espresso (I used to brew a lot more espresso) an the grinder is still performing well every day for the last seven years.

Hand grinders with great construction and design have become very popular lately.  This new breed of grinder keeps the burrs from wobbling which improves the grind consistency which means less bitterness and astringency and the fact that you can make and sell these without having to go through the whole safety certification process means it's easier to bring them to market and their prices are very competitive.  I have an Orphan Espresso Lido 2 that I use for traveling or brewing coffee at work, but a lot of the new grinders introduced since Orphan Espresso brought out the Pharos and showed everyone how good a hand grinder could be are smaller and more travel friendly.  I don't have any specific recommendations because of lack of experience using these, but you can check out the coffee forums for more recommendations.  You almost have to enjoy the fruits of manual labor to enjoy using a hand grinder.  The grinding isn't that hard and doesn't take that long but it's a lot different than dumping beans in an electric grinder and switching it on.

I would recommend against the cheaper, older hand grinders with floating ceramic burrs like the Hario's, Kyocera, most if not all of the Amazon.com results for manual coffee grinders, this new generation of well made coffee grinders come from craftspeople and there's often waiting lists involved and small distribution channels.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good post, Chris.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp, my Bodum just crapped out today.  Wife said it started running earlier this morning by itself, so she turned it off. I flipped it on and it started running, but slower than normal. Engine slowly died when I tried it with beans... lasted about 3 years.  

Any advice, @peter4jc? Besides buy a baratza (which I Will do if this isn't repairable).  
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    LOL, Gray.  You know me too well...

All I can say is that if you had an Encore instead of that Bodum, you'd be fixing it instead of throwing it out, and for a lot less I'd imagine.

Check out Baratza's website for refurbs; based on what I know of the company, I'm sure the refurbs are as good as new.  But factor in shipping too - often you can get a new one online w/ free shipping almost as cheap.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the baratza encore and love it.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Welp, my Bodum just crapped out today.  Wife said it started running earlier this morning by itself, so she turned it off. I flipped it on and it started running, but slower than normal. Engine slowly died when I tried it with beans... lasted about 3 years.  

Any advice, @peter4jc? Besides buy a baratza (which I Will do if this isn't repairable).  
    Annnd now it is working. ? I wonder if it is on its way out or something weird just happened. Gave it a good clean and will see how it does.  People seem very happy with the Baratzas; I would probably try that over another bodum if this one dies.  

Its held up up fine until now, but the design seems lacking as the chute is very hard to clean out, and it does not disassemble all that much to clean dust out of. 
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure any of that explains why it would start running by itself, just get the Encore, says Peter
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    dirtdude said:
    Not sure any of that explains why it would start running by itself, just get the Encore, says Peter
    You know, Randy might be onto something...  if you have the cash (which with a newborn, you might not) watch for a deal on the Encore and stash it.  If the Bodum actually gives up the ghost, then you won't have to go for a few days w/o fresh ground coffee.  Which reminds me, what kind of crap are you drinking anyway?!?  <wink>
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    dirtdude said:
    You know, Randy might be onto something...  if you have the cash (which with a newborn, you might not) watch for a deal on the Encore and stash it.  If the Bodum actually gives up the ghost, then you won't have to go for a few days w/o fresh ground coffee.  Which reminds me, what kind of crap are you drinking anyway?!?  <wink>
    Must be ghosts. One of Maxs toys did start making noise all by itself one night........... or my wife spilled a little water on it and it wasn't happy.

Peter let me know if you see a deal on a baratza. I'll keep an eye out; I would definitely grab one if they were on sale.

Yeah yeah... been meaning to place another order. I was just thinking that I should what you can send me!  Just Starbucks and 8oclock for me lately. 
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Annnd now it is working. ? I wonder if it is on its way out or something weird just happened. Gave it a good clean and will see how it does.  People seem very happy with the Baratzas; I would probably try that over another bodum if this one dies.  

Its held up up fine until now, but the design seems lacking as the chute is very hard to clean out, and it does not disassemble all that much to clean dust out of. 
    I'd unplug it when not in use. Sounds like a loose wire, loose wires start fires.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using this guy, and I must say I'v been really happy with it. :)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Wylaff said:
    I'm using this guy, and I must say I'v been really happy with it. :)
    That's a re-badged Baratza Maestro, the predecessor to the Encore.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How come the photo(s) don’t appear in the post???  
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey @Gray4lines ; two suggestions:

1) try cleaning it out with a can of compressed air (like you'd use on a computer) to blow all the "gunk" out of the inside.

2) if you do figure out what's wrong, and ID which part needs replace.....try contacting bodum by phone at (800) 232-6386. 
    the burr piece on mine was worn down and giving me inconsistent grind size ... so i called bodum, explained the situation, and asked if i could buy a replacement burr since i was way outside of warranty.... instead they offered to send me a new burr at no charge.  they may not do that for everyone but it's worth a shot....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Thanks @jgibv. Was hoping you'd chime in. I know you be had one of these for years.  I have used compressed air on it before, but don't have any right now. It looks pretty clean to me now, but that could have been a factor. 

If it does me any more trouble I may take it apart and see what's going on.  Glad to hear they helped you out on replacing the part. Im afraid its a motor issue, if anything,  which is likely way beyond my ability to fix or reassemble.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @jgibv. Was hoping you'd chime in. I know you be had one of these for years.  I have used compressed air on it before, but don't have any right now. It looks pretty clean to me now, but that could have been a factor. 

If it does me any more trouble I may take it apart and see what's going on.  Glad to hear they helped you out on replacing the part. Im afraid its a motor issue, if anything,  which is likely way beyond my ability to fix or reassemble.
    You are welcome.  Yeah I want to say I got mine back in 2010-2011 ish, use it everyday and it's still going strong *knock on wood*. 
    I give it a good cleaning about every week or so (whenever the hopper runs out of beans) and I think that's helped prolong the life. 

Also, you can use the "contact" feature on their website to get a hold of them too: https://www.bodum.com/us/en/customer-service

Good luck!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *