Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Ken Burns : Vietnam

Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
I can't wait until tomorrow (Sunday) when PBS airs the first of The Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam. It took 10 years of research to complete. If any of you have watched anything by him then you know it will be excellent. I'm sure some of you will have conflicting opinions about this. Sorry if I touch a sore spot.
You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!

Comments

• Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like all ken burns stuff.  His doc on the civil war was amazing.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just set the DVR

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watched the first part. I'm interested to see if the Street Without Joy, and the defective M-16's we traded our M-14's for will be mentioned. Also Benard Fall, the french author who tripped a mine and was killed about 75 yards from me.  I was a grunt with the Walking Dead battalion of the 9th Marines in 1966-1967.
  • Options
    I found the torrent and threw it on my seedbox.  I will collect all 10 or 12 parts of it, however many there are.

If anybody would like copies let me know 

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We never should have went to Vietnam.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Agreed.  But we did and we gotta own up to it.  
    I didn't know we armed Ho Chi Minh in 45.

We seem to have a bad habit of doing that.
    We give somebody some guns and next thing you know they're shooting at us.
    I just hope we finally learn a lesson from it.

• Options
    That's the thing about Burns documentary's he tries to show the story from both sides without being judgemental. Sketch6995 I agree about learning a lesson, but with his work we might end up having more questions than answers.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to start it up tonight
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Well last night Burns mentioned my battalion " The Walking Dead" and also the M-16's we got that constanty jammed.  We were up against the NVA all the time and they were tough, well equiped and not afraid to die.
    .Don't worry guys I'm taking my meds.

Roger, you and many others in the show said that about the V.C & the N.V.A. I guess if you want something that bad...   FYI The last 5 parts start again Sunday night and finish up on Thursday.
  • Options
    Vietnam left it's Mark on my family.
    Each one of those medals comes complete with a horror story.  
    Without a happy ending.
    The person that went, was not the person we got back.
    One of the reasons I choose to work so closely with our vets.  
    It says on a big sign in the lobby of the VA hospital

THE PRICE OF FREEDOM IS VISIBLE HERE.

Every single day i walk in that building, I think about that sign.

I'm sorry as hell that ever happened.

Thinking back on it now.....it just seems surreal.  How the hell did that become a good idea?  Do I see any parallels with current events?  It seems like we never learn any lessons, except bigger and better ways to kill each other.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got that print hanging on the wall in my studio.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first few episodes are airing all day today. Unfortunately I missed the first one but I'll dvr the rest and hope it is replayed soon.
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched the first three episodes last night. 
    Very interesting history of how it all started. 
    Disgusted by the fact that if the CIA didn't install their guy (who ended up being a dictator with his brother the psycho running the military) Ho Chi Minh would have been elected by the people and none of the war needed to happen. 
    I love my country, but hate politicians. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    It is such a tragedy that so many had to die or be permanently injured because the A holes with their inflated ego's running this country were more concerned about their image and election prospects than they ever were with the thousands who died for NOTHING. Fast forward to 2017 and again "What has changed"?  @Guitarded, I agree with your last line...I love my country, but hate politicians.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Well there was a big Communist scare going on ever since the fifties, And all of those people were a product of that.
    Thinking about it now it doesn't really make sense because we've seen communism fail.   We know it isn't the big devil they thought it was.
    I'm not excusing what they did, But Americans were pretty worried about the global spread of communism then.  The worst thing you could call someone back then was a commie. 
    When people get scared, they do stupid things. 
    What really gets to me is the fact that we don't seem to be learning any lessons from it.
    Everybody makes mistakes, even countries.
    But the real failure is when you don't learn from your own history.
    Because then you are doomed to repeat it. 

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to a friends house last night, he's been watching.  He spent '72 - '74 as a Navy medic supporting a Marine outfit in country.  He says it brought back some vivid memories, bad dreams, and re-opened the question in his mind; "why do we usually seem to support corrupt dictatorships, rather than the populations hungry for freedom?"

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got an email saying that I can watch all episodes on the PBS Roku channel, cool, since I didn't record the series.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I have all the episodes downloaded to a server, if anyone wants them, I'm happy to give the FTP details.
    MKV format, Most newer televisions will play them from a thumb drive-in the USB port 

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Got an email saying that I can watch all episodes on the PBS Roku channel, cool, since I didn't record the series.
    Thanks for the heads up, as I checked to see if it was on Apple Tv too, and it was.