Home General Discussion
Options

Truckload of Drew Estates stolen

deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thieves Steal Truck Loaded With Drew Estate Cigars
Posted September 22, 2017 

For the second time this year, thieves in Florida have stolen a shipment of cigars before they could make their way to customers.

Drew Estate announced on Wednesday that a truck filled with cigars was stolen in the greater Miami area on August 8. The specific cigars that were taken include boxes of the popular Undercrown Shade Belicoso and Tabak Especial Dulce Robusto, an infused cigar.

The company was scant on details of the heist, saying only that an "active investigation into this theft is ongoing and involves numerous law enforcement entities."

Drew Estate is asking anyone who may see these cigars being sold by unauthorized suppliers or below wholesale list price to contact Drew Estate chief executive officer Glenn Wolfson at (786) 581-1800.

This is not the first such cigar theft to happen in Florida this year. In April, thieves stole hundreds of thousands of Fuente cigars while they were being transported. That case, too, remains under investigation.

Comments

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there nothing sacred anymore......
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I have to do is get rid of the damn cigars, and the shipping containers get converted into portable green houses.   :D
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    I just hope they don't pollute any rivers with those INFUSED cigars 

• Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are filling up a walk-in they'd darn well better not mix Drew Estates with Fuentes. That'd be more of an insult than actually stealing the cigars.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    The Undercrown shades are phenomenal. I got a 5 pack of the Tabak's however and they are some of the most mediocre cigars ever. Other than the chocolatey wrapper they taste like a Gurkha.
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's gotta be an inside job. How in the hell do shipping containers just wander off without being notified? Especially so close to the last theft at the same port. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    No one uses a lo-jack anymore?
    No RFID chips anywhere?
    I can think of a 1000 things I could hide in there to track my shipment 

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No RFID chips anywhere?
    AMEN
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No RFID chips anywhere?
    They rely on the trucks and if the trucking company doesn't pay the subscription or lets it lapse, then it isn't active.
    Containers are supposed to be bar coded and scanned when they leave the port or shipping depot. After that, the tracking responsibility of the trucking company.
    And if they are using trucks older than 2010, they might not have truck equipped tracking, depending on the model, and they might not be paying the subscription.

I know, why would they not? Quite simply, money.
    It costs for those subscriptions and if a company has hundreds of trucks, that can amount to a considerable amount.

There are so many scenarios as to how it can be taken. 
    At a truck stop or rest area, while the driver is in the can or stopping for fuel would be most likely, but someone would have to know where the truck is stopping and what they are carrying. 
    Most containers don't say on the outside what they are laden with. 
    The bill of lading is in the truck with the driver, so I would have to agree that it is likely someone who had all the information.

And if Fuente and Drew Estates shipping containers were using the same transport or partner companies, those are who I would be looking at.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I'm pretty sure the drivers in on it.
    This is a classic "Goodfellas" heist.
    And it's a lot cheaper to protect it than it is to replace it.
    Hell I RFID my shipments that go to Denver in an Armored car.
    I pay a yearly subscription, it's cheap.
    It seems an ounce of protection is worth more than a pound of cure 
    My motto is trust no one, suspect everyone.  Lol

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're only hearing about the shipping container thefts involving cigars because we're on a cigar forum. I've heard about shipping containers of green coffee on coffee forums, I'm sure shipping container theft in general is a much bigger issue. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cargo theft I'm sure is pretty common in cities with ports 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter