Home General Discussion
Options

Snow!!!!

Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
A friend of ours has a house in Wyoming sent us an email this A.M saying they awoke to find a covering of the white fluffy stuff. Said it was really coming down last night. I guess it's on the way. I better start thinking about how much wood I need to get in. We basically heat with wood but have oil as a backup. We usually go through 3 -4 cords a season. I still have better than a cord left but will probably get 3 cords just to be on the safe side.
You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!

Comments

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love snow, very rare to get it down here just NW of Houston. Good call on more cords of wood, better to have more than not enough.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:
    I love snow, 
    Oh shut up.
    Come work in it all winter and see how much you "love" it then.
     :D 

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    I love snow, 
    Oh shut up.
    Come work in it all winter and see how much you "love" it then.
     :D 

LOL, I wish I could but I don't think 2 days and less than a quarter of an inch every 10 years counts :D
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When i saw the thread title I thought of this guy 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    This one I've posted before, my rolling office and shop.

This was broke down on the hill.

This was a highway. 

As was this a highway.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    @0patience, I see now why you don't like snow. For me it brings back those old memories when I was a boy living in Northern Oklahoma rolling up the big snowball to make a snow man. People in South Texas go nuts when it snows, but 95% of those people also complain all Winter that it's to cold, huddle in their houses, and I rarely see them.    
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I grew up in Detroit. And I've lived in Oklahoma and Colorado while on some major construction projects. 

And I've experienced snow, freezing rain (I drove a tow truck in freezing rain storms as a young man) and out-and-out blizzards in all those places. I also worked on the North Slope of Alaska building roads for the oil drilling companies. 

Thats why I live in California, fifty miles from Paradise. (Paradise, california, that is).  B)
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! Been singing Frosty the Snowman for weeks at work - driving all my coworkers nuts haha.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I remember the days of 40 inches in the parking lot and getting called in on a holiday, being paid double time and a half for 70 hours. Taking nurses and doctors to the hospitals and giving rides home to a couple. Glory days they were. Finding the odd grocery store or pharmacy open for the older or single people at the condo. And the parties were legendary. We were without power during one and a bunch of the younger people walked up the road to the highway and practically hijacked an electric company truck and the crew. Did I mention the parties? Hand feeding the squirrels and putting food out for the birds.
    Here....blah. Maybe a couple of inches and it's gone the next day :( .

Snow and nearby restaurants are a thing of the past.
  • Options
    My dad used to tell me when he was young on the reservation in Montana, he walked to 5 miles school in snow so deep it came up to his waist.
    I bought it until one day it clicked.
    Dad, you were only 3 feet tall, so you're only talking about 18" of snow.
    LOL!

I once told my boys that in high school I walked to school in the snow in Kodiak.
    During the winter, it was 3 miles and during the fall and spring, it was 5 miles.
    They got that confused look on their face until I explained that during the winter, we walked across the lake. Spring and fall, we had to walk around the lake.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    SmokerPaulSmokerPaul Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Well, in N GA we won't have much of that, but if we do: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-buford-calloway/n45830?snl=1
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is this "snow" of which you speak?

Looks like a 4 letter word to me and I thought we weren't supposed to use those

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:

What is this "snow" of which you speak?

Looks like a 4 letter word to me and I thought we weren't supposed to use those

It's a magic substance that keeps your flying cockroaches away. 
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The house I was in as a child got hit with 24' one winter. Completely snowed in for a couple of weeks. Snowmobiles were used to bring in supplies and we had to dig up from the second story windows. After is was over we had to go scoop animal crap off the roof, as it was the only dry place they could find to go...

Good memories. I still prefer snow over 100+ degrees.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    I took my driving test in Kodiak at 15 (cause at that time you could get driver's license at 15 and motorcycle endorsement at 14) in October and the night before, we got about 2' of snow.
    The state patrol gave the driving test at that time and all he said was, We're gonna drive a lot of the island, don't crash or get stuck and you pass. AND I had to park on a hill, in the snow, when it gets dark at 3:00 in the afternoon.
    I passed. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting for snow.....

The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, you'll get your share. Enjoy what you have now!!!
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be saying that4 letter word 
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Rhamlin said:
    Don't be saying that4 letter word 
    SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW

• Options
    Today's view.
    Cold.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I am on a hill and my view is nothing but mud and puddles. The longest stretch of rain since I have been here. It sucks. 
    First 10 days of frozen plumbing on and off. No one can get in or out because of ice. truthfully I would rather have the ice instead of all this freakin mud.
    Bolt of lightning this morning. 2AM, so loud even Cally, who is normally fearless, bolted from bed to hide under the desk.

@0patience, you got a spare cot? I don't eat much. Oh, I do have a couple of dogs and I fall down a lot.
  • Options
    That's my view from work this morning. @jd50ae you'd have to work with me to get those views. LOL!
    23 degrees and covered in hydraulic oil. Oh man, did I make that look good. ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We actually got some hail here yesterday. Something you don't see here in So California very often

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln