Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Echo, Alexa and I am sure there are others.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone use these "monitoring" devices. Ain't they kind of scary?
There have already been reports of parrots and kids ordering stuff.

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have the Amazon Echo.
    It controls most our lights in our house.
    As for ordering, not sure how you can. It can add stuff to the card, but in order to order, you have to confirm it. And we have a PIN on our account that has to be given before the order can be placed.
    I suppose anything is possible, but the way ours is set up, it has to confirm before the order is placed.
    So I am a bit suspicious of the reports that it ordered from a parrot.

Although every once in a while, it will reply to the TV and seems to talk to itself, which is kind of unnerving. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The darn things make me nervous.
  • Options
    CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    My Dad has the Echo, built on a timed power link. So it only on for so long, then power is completely cut to it.
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you ever wonder who could be listening in on you? Anymore I don't trust anything when it comes to stuff like that and our government. But in the same vein they could monitor you from your computer or cell phone. I know people who put electrical tape across the camera on they're laptops, etc.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have that dot. All's we have ordered is pretzels, just to try it out: "Alexa, get us Snyder's sourdough pretzels." Two days later, a box of pretzels. But for the most part, it's just something to laugh at. See, we also have a grandson named Alex. This leads to : "Alex is coming Sunday." "Sorry, I cannot order chocolate sundaes." The TV sets it off all the time. "I can't answer that." Or music. Or some useless jabber. I don't know what sideways search engine it uses, Bing or some such, but whatever it is, it doesn't find answers worth a crap. Doesn't listen worth a crap either. "Alexis, what time do the Eagles play?" "The Steelers play the Bengals Sunday at 4pm" 
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    I have the echo dot, it mainly controls my hue lights, and my control4 home automation is an added skill as well. I turned off the ordering, and my wife mainly uses it to find out the weather. I like to use the “simon says” skill, basically it repeats whatever you say, my 2 1/2 year old lives when Alexa tells him to do something 
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    We have that dot. All's we have ordered is pretzels, just to try it out: "Alexa, get us Snyder's sourdough pretzels." Two days later, a box of pretzels. But for the most part, it's just something to laugh at. See, we also have a grandson named Alex. This leads to : "Alex is coming Sunday." "Sorry, I cannot order chocolate sundaes." The TV sets it off all the time. "I can't answer that." Or music. Or some useless jabber. I don't know what sideways search engine it uses, Bing or some such, but whatever it is, it doesn't find answers worth a crap. Doesn't listen worth a crap either. "Alexis, what time do the Eagles play?" "The Steelers play the Bengals Sunday at 4pm" 
    Thank you for supporting the local economy in the municipality my wife works for!  Snyder's rocks.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I already posted this somewhere but it definitely fits here.