Home General Discussion
Options

Italian Cigars

Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saturday the wife and I will be boarding a plane and heading for Rome.  Have the week for leisure sight seeing and just relaxing and enjoying the Ancient City.

When we went to Germany I received and excellent recommendation for Cigars only available there.  Besides Toscano, does anyone have a recommendation???

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet, no recommendations but have a great time, safe travels
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There used to be a great little ristorante called Piccolo Mondo just a few blocks behind the Spanish Steps in Rome.

Another ristorante that was fun was the Cafe Bolognese which featured food from the Bologna region (duh). When you seated yourself at the table the waiter would toss you a tablecloth and then hand you a basket of breads and rolls while telling you to "Mangia, mangia". 

But, as for cigars, the only Italian one I know of (and like) is the CAO Italia and I think it only has some Italian tobacco in the blend. I'm pretty sure they're not made in Italy. 

If this is your first trip to Rome, you'll love it. Consider hiring a driver for the day and ask him to take you to Hadrian's Villa. It's a beautiful day-trip and worth the price. Our driver had lunch with us at an obscure little place on a narrow, winding street in some little village on the way to Hadrian's Villa. It must not have been as obscure as it looked because the lobby was decorated with autographed photos of numerous movie stars and other celebrities. And the food was great. 

Another interesting tour was The Catacombs. I came away with the thought that, for being the conquerors that early Romans were, they were sure little. The individual niches weren't large enough for people today. 

Anyway, have a great trip. 
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    There used to be a great little ristorante called Piccolo Mondo just a few blocks behind the Spanish Steps in Rome.

Another ristorante that was fun was the Cafe Bolognese which featured food from the Bologna region (duh). When you seated yourself at the table the waiter would toss you a tablecloth and then hand you a basket of breads and rolls while telling you to "Mangia, mangia". 

But, as for cigars, the only Italian one I know of (and like) is the CAO Italia and I think it only has some Italian tobacco in the blend. I'm pretty sure they're not made in Italy. 

If this is your first trip to Rome, you'll love it. Consider hiring a driver for the day and ask him to take you to Hadrian's Villa. It's a beautiful day-trip and worth the price. Our driver had lunch with us at an obscure little place on a narrow, winding street in some little village on the way to Hadrian's Villa. It must not have been as obscure as it looked because the lobby was decorated with autographed photos of numerous movie stars and other celebrities. And the food was great. 

Another interesting tour was The Catacombs. I came away with the thought that, for being the conquerors that early Romans were, they were sure little. The individual niches weren't large enough for people today. 

Anyway, have a great trip. 

Thank You

this will be my second trip, however the first when I was still in the Army right after the first Gulf War.  Remember the neat stuff but after more than 20 years I am sure that has changed much

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I can spend hours with a cigar and espresso at a wide walk cafe. Have a great time!
  • Options
    Well, been in Italy almost a week now and all I can say is when/if you visit, bring your cigars with you. Unlike pipes, cigars are not very popular i Rome.
    Stopped by a few shops and the wife said "you have a better selection in the spare room"
    Did find a few cubans but for 25-39 euros each, i wasnt taking a chance on fakes.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bolivar Italiana is pretty damned tasty if you can find one.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Well I smoked a toscano today. Kind of a harsh strong smoke. They are kept very dry. Everything else i found i have or can get at home for a better price. I did not feel the cubans we found were real and if they were they were not stored properly.  I am sure there are better cigar shops, we just didnt have any nearby. Heading home in the AM Italian time
    Ciao for now