Home Pipes

Recommendations needed

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
My friend is a big pipe smoker but he refuses to buy a nice pipe. For Christmas I want to buy him a nice pipe but have no idea where to start. I'd like to keep it around $100.
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stanwells can be had for under $100, usually well made, depends on what shape he prefers though. I like this one:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=261288
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful Canadian. Stanwell knows their stuff

The problem is that nice is a relative term in the pipe world. I have a 5 dollar cob that will smoke circles around a fancy freehand briar I have. 

With that said, savinelli and Rossi are made by the same folks and are both known to be good.

Peterson makes quite nice pipes in just about every size, shape and finish there is and many can be found under 100 but they tend to run just shy of 120

Butz choquin comes in that price range too. 

The main marks of a good pipe are drilling alignment, stem fitment and bowl concentricity
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at the Petersons at my lounge, and the majority of them are drilled poorly.  Maybe they're slipping?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not a huge Peterson’s fan myself. They have had quality control issues here and there lately. I prefer Savinelli. I have a few Peterson’s including some high end rare ones but they aren’t my favorites. 

I have around 50 estate pipes available. Most are under $100 and I’d give any of you guys a good deal on them. They will all be posted again tonight on the bay around 6 CST and my username is Krell81. Basically ignore the prices and tell me what interests you and we will work a deal out. Anything between $50 and $150 I’ll do between 20% to 40% off for you guys. 

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 3 Stanwells that I smoke regularly, at least 3 - 5 times weekly each.  I bought a "Brushed Black", shape 118 for less than $50 last year and it has been the best smoking pipe I've ever owned.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Church Wardens are pretty cool too. What are some of the better ones out there? Thinking about picking up one after the new year. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a stanwell church ward I am in love with. It came with a shorter stem for driving and the like.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jsnake hooked it up for me. Ended up with a pipe for me and my friend.  Packaging was excellent. Anybnody looking should check out his selection.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jsnake gets it done.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • LoneSmokerLoneSmoker Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone out there tried C&D Haunted Bookshop and if so, what are your thoughts?
    LoneSmoker

With just a single cigar, we can escape from the cares of the world. - Richard Carleton Hacker
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. I used to love it back some 10 years ago but it changed and now it is likable.
    It is fairly strong and straightforward tobacco.
    I like it. I used to love it back some 10 years ago but it changed and now it is likable.
    It is fairly strong and straightforward tobacco.
    Thanks for your take on it, I may have to give it a try
    LoneSmoker

With just a single cigar, we can escape from the cares of the world. - Richard Carleton Hacker
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone out there tried C&D Haunted Bookshop and if so, what are your thoughts?
    I just smoked some the other day. Nice, albeit not particularly complex.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Echambers said:
    I just smoked some the other day. Nice, albeit not particularly complex.
    That may be good, sometimes I just want to kick back and smoke in lieu of paying to much attention to whats going on with the tobacco.
    LoneSmoker