Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Pearl Harbor

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
I worked in some buildings that had anti-aircraft mounts on the roof.
What was in the 2 story basement were pure bomb shelters.

Every year I watch the documentary programs and any new footage.

I have been doing this for years.
But I never asked my family what it was like. Of course all the men enlisted, and the women put forth their best smiles as they went.

Some years back I finally asked, a gathering of some sorts attended by a lot of "elders".
Every person said the same thing, "We were scared" some added "Really Scared".

Have you ever asked?

Comments

• Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grandfather transferred back stateside from Pearl Harbor on the 5th. He never really talked about it with me but understand he carried a lot of survivor guilt with him the rest of his life.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a show on The History Channel tonight from 9 - 11 about survivors talking  about the attack.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FDR's draft speech:

-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True American Heros
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I've told this before, but, my Uncle was assigned to the Arizona.  He was on Shore Patrol, dragging passed out sailors out of bars and stacking them in the back of a jeep to take them back to the ship.  One minute they were dragging a guy out of the bar, the next minute the air was full of planes, smoke, and "thunder".  

At about this point in the story he'd get misty eyed, and quiet.  Normally, he was anything but quiet, so that always said a lot to me.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain