Home Non Cigar Related

Cardinals

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Refresh my memory....are cardinals cold weather birds?
Have not seen any for the longest time and now they are coming around.
Always glad to see the colors of different birds when they visit.

OK.... I am bored......

But I got fruitcake.

Comments

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cardinals are not migrating birds, you should see them year round in the same area
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno about that... I see/hear them in the Spring and early Summer, but then they're gone.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    year-round here SE New England
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had two males on our feeder today.
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jd50ae fruitcake? Homemade or store bought? I finally had some homemade fruitcake last year and it was amazing. 
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're year-round birds. Just easier to spot in winter months when everything else is gray. We used to have a bunch in Delaware but hardly see them at all up here in PA. 

I was just talking to my grandmother tonight about fruitcake. She used to make the absolute BEST! Really miss her cooking. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DARN......I thought I was the one person who ate all the fruitcakes.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Redheaded Bearswatter is proud of her cardinals. They nest in the huge old cherry tree right out front. They feed at the bird window on the north side of the garage -- it's a window I made with witness glass -- mirror one way, look thru the other way. If you make yourself a bird window, make sure to install it on the north side, so's you don't glare your neighbors. Male cardinals can get into fierce quarrels with the bird they see in the mirror. This time of year, we also hang suet blocks out for flickers and such.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)