Home Cigar 101
Options

Tastes?

PotateerPotateer Posts: 3
Just to be clear, I'm a complete newbie who've just step my first foot into cigar. I have a question, I think it's probably somewhere in the forum but I haven't found it yet, but here goes. As I stroll my way through the website, I found that there are so many types of cigar (robusto, corona, toro, etc.) so, what should I expect when smoke any of those names. I did read the how to develop the palate but I want to know what kind of taste I should expect when smoke those name. Thank you in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. A wealth of cigar information is here. 

What you've called "types" are actually sizes, length and ring (diameter) this will affect how long it takes to smoke the cigar. Strength, filler, and wrapper are important factors to consider.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... and then some of these companies give those sizes their own friggin nicknames to further confuse us "new-to-the-leaf" types.

Or was i just reading reviewer's names and tripping..? 

Welcome!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for the replies, can you explain a little further into the size and how it affect the duration?

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum @Potateer, if you are wondering about flavor (Taste), a good deal of that come from the wrapper so if you run across something you like make note of the wrapper. 
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Bigger size=more tobacco=longer smoke. As i understand it. 
  • Options
    Ok @dirtdude I noticed that we have 5 kinds of wrappers here at cigar.com (connecticut, habano,maduro, cameroon, sumatra) , would you mind explain the flavor I should be expecting smoking these wrappers?
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The thinner the ring gage the more wrapper you taste. Less filler. 
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flavors you get on the different wrappers/cigars depend on your own individual palate. Some people may get leather and others might get hay. Some may get vanilla and some chocolate. I usually don’t get any of that , I just like them or I don’t. Some are very smooth and some aren’t. 
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sound like you need samplers, @Potateer .  Be patient, keep at it, read all about it, and you may be rewarded.  Things will change as you go along.  Tomorrows favorite may be next years "meh".  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, @Potateer...  have you signed up for the Newsletter yet?

PM me your address and I'll make sure you get a copy.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Rhamlin said:
    Did not know that.. thank you. 
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    The smaller ring gauge has a higher wrapper to filler ratio. Since flavor is generally attributed to wrapper and body is attributed to filler, this ratio means quite a lot. But it's not a hard and fast rule since there are so many blend options that cheat the ratio
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick up some samplers and test the waters. Note which you like and don’t like. Sizes wrappers, fillers, blender/companies. It will get you started. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Potateer, I recommend contacting @Bigshizza to see either he's willing to put together one of his legendary samplers for you.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/898759/shizz-samplers/p1
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/6023/blending-101#latest

This thread will explain a lot of what goes into a cigar @Potateer
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The smaller the ring size the slower you should smoke. Allowing your cigars to rest for at least 10 days after receiving them will improve their preformance. Go slow  and take notes if you are inclined.Welcome to the world of cigars.
  • Options
    Rhamlin said:
    The smaller ring gauge has a higher wrapper to filler ratio. Since flavor is generally attributed to wrapper and body is attributed to filler, this ratio means quite a lot. But it's not a hard and fast rule since there are so many blend options that cheat the ratio
    I gotta start writing this stuff down.. Thanks for the tips!

*Looks around for a skinny*  
  • Options
    Rhamlin said:
    I gotta start writing this stuff down.. Thanks for the tips!

*Looks around for a skinny*