Home General Discussion
Options

48 hours frozen

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in General Discussion
We all know you can freeze cigars to kill beetles.
Maybe with this weather a little reminder is in order.
Package, a sampler, was outside for 2 days.
E-mailed the seller and asked his advice.
And he said "put them the fridge to start raising the temp". 
And then he said "2 weeks in a humidor before smoking".
And then he also said "any new arrival should rest for at least 2 weeks".
I like what he said.

Comments

• Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the Cigar.com staff posted a year or two ago an article about freezing cigars. I think the conclusion was that most home freezers don't get cold enough to kill the beetle. Anyone else remember this?
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell, with the temps we've been having just stick them outside for 10 or 15 minutes. That should take care of any problems.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers said:
    One of the Cigar.com staff posted a year or two ago an article about freezing cigars. I think the conclusion was that most home freezers don't get cold enough to kill the beetle. Anyone else remember this?
    Correct. It wouldn't be cold enough to do the job in a few days. I believe it was mentioned that a longer time at that temp would possibly have the same effect. Possibly.
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I freeze 72 hours them wrap in a towel till room temp. Then into the humi. No need for fridge
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep same here 72 hrs in the freezer, then a day in the fridge to bring them up to temp of 40 or so, then on the counter wrapped in a paper towel to soak up any condensation, then at least a month in the humidor.
    But since it's way colder outside than it is in my freezer, they sit on the back deck for 3 days.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    <3 bob
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only time I’ve done the freezer thing was in the summer. 
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is -30 too cold? I could through mine in with the ice cream! Probably need less time though!
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few boxes of special stuff I'm somewhat reluctant to open (Lost City, Forbidden X, FFOX Oscuro, etc)...mainly because I have OCD problems and would like to keep them completely original until one day at least a decade from now when I decide to either smoke them or sell them. Can I put an entire cello wrapped box in, or will I run the risk of moisture issues post-freeze? 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    Leave cello on, double bag in ziplocks
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    In my 37 years of smoking cigars I have never seen a beetle and I've gotten some from some septic looking places. I have seen small holes in the wrapper on a couple over the years but nothing to get me excited. ( maybe my poor eye site )?
  • Options
    In my 37 years of smoking cigars I have never seen a beetle and I've gotten some from some septic looking places. I have seen small holes in the wrapper on a couple over the years but nothing to get me excited. ( maybe my poor eye site )?
    they are very small
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    My freezer only gets down to 14F so I guess I am kind of screwed.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Like when I pick Brocoli from the garden and the wife is concerned there may be a worm hiding in it. I tell her,"it's the worm that should be concerned".
    If your feeling froggy go to your settings and give yourself a forum name instead of the prison ID the forum gave you
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most guys don't need to worry about it at all if they keep their stash from getting to warm. It's jut that I have been unlucky when it comes to beetles/larvae. Three times :(  That's the only reason I pretend to be an expert. I don't recommend anybody bother with freezing their stuff until they actually catch them critters munching on their sticks. Then it would be time to consider it. 
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    My freezer only gets down to 14F so I guess I am kind of screwed.
    You can do it at 14F but it just takes longer. How much longer? You'd have to find that old chart somewhere online that lists exactly how long at each degree.