Home General Discussion
Options

Can I pick you Brain?

jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
Hello all! I have been smoking cigars regularly since about 1980 and bought them from two venders starting with Thompson in Tampa and then JR Tobacco up until a couple months ago. I like the brands I find here and the price is good! My question is, how do you all feel about keeping cigars in storage for extended periods? My experience has been,the strong ligaro cigars are not improved by this,they get weaker. Please let me know your experiences and opinions. John

Comments

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I only had a brain.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I prefer to age....I will go out on a limb and say most  a lot here do.  That is if they don't all get smoked first!
    Post edited by Stubble on
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can mellow over time. If you don’t like that, then experiment with the aging process. Smoke one every 3-4 months then you will know how long til  they weaken to the point where you don’t care for them anymore. Then you have your personal self life date.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input! I don't like to pass up a sale or a bargain and I see a lot of them here,but I guess I'm getting to old to have a lg. yette cooler full on hand. In the past I've kept some for 6-7 years and they were fine but the " Punishing" sticks were not the same anymore. Like drinking Bourbon that goes down like beer. John
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really got into a BOTL's videos on YouTube a while ago which focused on the bennies of aging. Sadly, he no longer makes these videos because of some health problems which don't allow him to smoke anymore. It's a shame because he had a helluva lot of knowledge and his personality was entertaining as well. If you really want to learn some good stuff, search Dr. Joe Show_Cigar Aging on youtube. 

Having only been into the hobby for a little over a year, I haven't even come close to aging my own sticks. I've got a few boxes, but much of my stock consists of singles from the generous fellas here at CCOM and things I've picked up at the B&M. The most age on a cigar I've smoked is probably between 3-5 years. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....Hate yo Avi....
  • Options
    Markwell said:
    I really got into a BOTL's videos on YouTube a while ago which focused on the bennies of aging. Sadly, he no longer makes these videos because of some health problems which don't allow him to smoke anymore. It's a shame because he had a helluva lot of knowledge and his personality was entertaining as well. If you really want to learn some good stuff, search Dr. Joe Show_Cigar Aging on youtube. 

Having only been into the hobby for a little over a year, I haven't even come close to aging my own sticks. I've got a few boxes, but much of my stock consists of singles from the generous fellas here at CCOM and things I've picked up at the B&M. The most age on a cigar I've smoked is probably between 3-5 years. 
    Thanks for directing me joe show. I watched and listened to a couple of his shows and came to the conclusion that his information does not fit with most cigar smokers. He also said some things that go against what I've been told by old tobacconists . If he thinks the major cigar manufacturers,or places like cigars.com would sell you cigars that are not TOTALLY ready to smoke, he is wrong. He is very enthusiastic and devoted though! I guess collecting cigars and actually smoking them are two different animals.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I opt for aging.  Whenever I get an order, I put half in my aging humidor and basically forget them except for rotating them from time to time.  I just smoked a ten year old A.J. Fernadez and it was great. 

That was the longest I have ever aged one, usually after a year or so, I rotate them into my smoking humidor.
  • Options
    That sounds great! To each his own! I've have never noticed a problem with ammonia from any major manufacturer though. I personally can't wait and age mine anymore. I'm 60,and go in to have my cancer marker checked every 6 months.:(
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he thinks the major cigar manufacturers,or places like cigars.com would sell you cigars that are not TOTALLY ready to smoke, he is wrong. He is very enthusiastic and devoted though! I guess collecting cigars and actually smoking them are two different animals.
    When I cigar gets popular, the manufacturers can struggle to keep up. The stuff that is rated by CA for example, typically has many years on it. The stuff you buy, while out of the sick period, is not the same smoke until you sit on it. Most cigars seem to benefit from aging to some degree. If you are a fan of the heavy ligero, they tend to be hotter while fresh, but they develop a lot of flavors after they sit. It may be that you are smoking to fast, and tasting more of the burn, and less of the tobacco. I was a huge ligero fan until I learned to slow down. Not that I can taste the difference, everything gets aged for a least awhile.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hello all! I have been smoking cigars regularly since about 1980 and bought them from two venders starting with Thompson in Tampa and then JR Tobacco up until a couple months ago. I like the brands I find here and the price is good! My question is, how do you all feel about keeping cigars in storage for extended periods? My experience has been,the strong ligaro cigars are not improved by this,they get weaker. Please let me know your experiences and opinions. John
    Welcome John.
    You ever buy from local cigar shops?
    And is this your first cigar forum experience?
    How do you feel about cigar snobs? 
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hello all! I have been smoking cigars regularly since about 1980 and bought them from two venders starting with Tkomqson in Tampa and then JR Tobacco up until a couple months ago. I like the brands I find here and the price is good! My question is, how do you all feel about keeping cigars in storage for extended periods? My experience has been,the strong ligaro cigars are not improved by this,they get weaker. Please let me know your experiences and opinions. John
    I like 'em aged. A strong cigar will mellow but overall I like the way the flavors change with a few years rest. Milder cigars loose too much flavor in my opinion to make it worthwhile. Most of my cigar aging happens by default. 

And just so you know, and this might seem weird to you at this point,....most everybody here hates Tkomqson Cigar Company so much that we don't even ever want to spell it out correctly. If it does come up in conversation we say something to describe it like "the one that starts with T and ends in frustration".  
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options
    'Bourbon that goes down like beer', you might be onto something there bro.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    Welcome John.
    Bob_Luken said:
    Welcome John.
    Hi Bob! Yes I've bought cigars from local shops but there are not but 2-3 here.(Eauclaire Wi. Area) It's a nice way to try a cigar but I hate paying 12.00 for a 4.00 cigar! I have to say I've never liked any "snob". I had no idea folks were this passionate about cigars! This is my first cigar forum however I belong to others like the usmilitary weapons forum. I collect WWII  weapons you see. YEARS ago I saw a 1.5 in. Ad in a magazine selling the Thompson Sampler for 19.99. It said they were Olor blend and had 60 cigars if I remember correctly. Cleoparas needles,panatella extras,corona chicos,juniors etc. They were great! That's how I got started and then moved on to handmades. They don't make those cigars anymore and after trying to talk to them on the phone I realized they are NOT the company they were in 1979-80. I don't want to talk trash about other companies here,but after dealing with Lew Rothman and JR Tobacco for a lot of years I can say cigars.com (this place) is where I'll stay for the rest of my years. (If they let me):) I thought I knew a lot about cigars but I am getting humbled by what I see and read. SOOOOO,pls.take it easy on me. John
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum John
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Welcome to the forum John

and, have you received those T- cigars yet, it may take awhile.  :D
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    I have not ordered from Tom Timmons company in a long time.After my phone conversation with a female there,who claimed to know cigars,I gave up. Shipping was never a problem back then. Now,it seems they don't know how to blend a cigar. THE END 
  • Options
    Years ago I bought some Black Mammoth seed,started them in the house in March,and planted them out in mid May. I ended up with about 300 4-7 ft.tall BEAUTIFUL tobacco plants. My son-in -law and I cut them and hung most in the barn after removing the seco leaves. After a year of hanging I moistened the separated leaves,ligaro-viso-seco,and fermented them in a empty chest freezer at about 105 degrees for 30 days. They smelled fantastic! We tried to roll some cigars and found out it's REALLY HARD! After smoking a couple we concluded that it was not good so I tried to make dip out of it. It was CRAP! I bought a couple corn cob pipes and we tried it that way. I gagged and threw up on my shoe! A site on the web,(growing forum) told me it just needed more time to "gas out". After 6 years it's still CRAP. Every time I smoke a good cigar I think of all the work the really does go into these things. It makes a average cigar taste pretty good. If you really read all this,, BLESS YOUR HEART. :)
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How come, every time I see this thread title I see 'Can I Pick Your Brian'?

Hey John, be a good little Wisconsinite and change your forum username.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

Do you believe the Eath is Flat?   ;)
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    peter4jc said:

Hi Peter! I did change it! When I look at it in my account or what ever it is it states,"your user ID is jw517" When I click change user name it sends me to a"agree and enter forum" page. I tried a bunch of times. There must be a glitch in the system? It could be senior error but I don't think so.
  • Options
    What is a Brian?
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

I'm good with you picking mine Pete!

I age most everything I smoke in one way shape or form.  If it is a new cigar to me and i get a box, i'll smoke one within a week off the truck to see when i'll like it and then go from there.  I used to LOVE the AJ Fernandez kick you in the face cigars, and then i moved away from them so many of my diesels and MOWs have been sitting aging for a year or two.  I went back to a Diesel Rage the other day and it was great.  No harshness, the flavors were awesome.  Yeah the strength was way down, but the experience was so much better for me.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

Hi Peter! I did change it! When I look at it in my account or what ever it is it states,"your user ID is jw517" When I click change user name it sends me to a"agree and enter forum" page. I tried a bunch of times. There must be a glitch in the system? It could be senior error but I don't think so.
    So now, are we to understand that not only are you from Eau Claire, you're an old fart too?   SHEEEESH!!!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey!!  Go a little easy on us oldfarts......

Thankya kindly....   B)
  • Options
    If your referring to me,I am a lot older than my age suggests. I am not from E.C. I do however live near there. 
  • Options
    Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quality can age and change, crap will always be crap. 
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    jlmarta said:
    Hey!!  Go a little easy on us oldfarts......

Thankya kindly....   B)
    It's not a contest Marty, but you do have great status as the top dog old fart. Therefore, I hereby nominate to elect you "King of the Old Farts" and decree that we all address you as M'lord? Do I hear a second? 
    Seconded, I believe the motion passes.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    That sounds right! It's just like people. Age can mello a man,make him better,where some,no matter the age or intellect are stuck in the "SICK" period.