Home General Discussion
Options

A quick question

Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
When you get a new box of sticks, is it better to let them rest or can you smoke them right away.
You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!

Comments

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I let mine rest for awhile but just depends on how patient you are. 
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got a whole box, smoke one whenever you want, just don't base the rest of the box on the first one. I typically use 1 week acclamation time per 1 day in transit.

I have been own, albeit rarely, to smoke one the day they arrive.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESPECIALLY in the summer months you don't want to get too happy the day they arrive by truck. Put them down for a nice nap. This time of year, not too bad.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A box of 20 or more I might burn one right off the truck but a box of 10 or so I will definitely let them rest a bit.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    A quick question, did you or do you intend to buy these at a local cigar shop? If that is the case you can ask the shop how long they've been sitting there. If they've had them at least a couple of weeks then they're ready to smoke when you get home, that is unless you leave them on the dashboard in the sun during hot weather on your way home while you stop into your local dancing girl establishment to see your favorite dancing girl dance. In that case, two weeks wait. 
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually best to give it a week or more to adjust after shipping but that can be tough to do sometimes. 
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    A quick question, did you or do you intend to buy these at a local cigar shop? If that is the case you can ask the shop how long they've been sitting there. If they've had them at least a couple of weeks then they're ready to smoke when you get home, that is unless you leave them on the dashboard in the sun during hot weather on your way home while you stop into your local dancing girl establishment to see your favorite dancing girl dance. In that case, two weeks wait. 
    If you do happen to leave it on your dashboard, you can always re-moisten it like President Clinton.  I'm just sayin'...
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @cbuck
    Smokes alot ROTT, I've tried it a few times, it turns out better if they were shipped correctly to begin with, that's with a boveda pack in a zip lock bag.
    Usually I regret it though.  I let them sit in the humi for at least 2 weeks, sometimes even a month.
    But if they were shipped right they are fine.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and there's only one way to know.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @cbuck
    Smokes alot ROTT, I've tried it a few times, it turns out better if they were shipped correctly to begin with, that's with a boveda pack in a zip lock bag.
    Usually I regret it though.  I let them sit in the humi for at least 2 weeks, sometimes even a month.
    But if they were shipped right they are fine.
    Besides correctly packaging cigars to protect against damage and drying out, my biggest concern with shipping problems is the temperature fluctuations, especially high heat.  You can ship it right, with proper humidity and enough padding, but when mother nature and the US postal service start cranking up the heat on that package,......  smoking them ROTT is not for me. Winter maybe but summer never.

But, what if I'm wrong? Maybe this summer I'll take one of my sticks out of storage,.... package it for shipping, and torture it by leaving it in a hot vehicle for a day, then inside for a day, then back in a hot vehicle for a day then let it bake in my black mailbox for the afternoon. That evening I'll grab an identical stick from the humidor from the same box and fire it up. Then after I get a few minutes into that one I'll light up the test subject too. See if I'm right about my assumptions in a side by side test. That ought to be fun. 

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's cold that really dries gars out, I think. We've had delicate shade wraps blow up when they set in the truck thru a holiday weekend in single digits. Haven't seen that happen in Summer.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I'm expecting a package being delivered by UPS I have them hold the package at a UPS store near me, at no cost. This avoids the package sitting outside till I get home.

I think the USPS has a similar option, but I haven't tried it yet. Not sure if they can hold 1 package. I know they could hold all your mail, but that would be inconvenient 

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    webmost said:
    It's cold that really dries gars out, I think. We've had delicate shade wraps blow up when they set in the truck thru a holiday weekend in single digits. Haven't seen that happen in Summer.
      I'm curious. How do they package these raw tobacco products for transport? Were they not shipped with some humidifying aid/device or did the device freeze up or otherwise fail? Were they shipped in a tightly sealed baggie/container or just a container/baggie that was just pretending to be airtight?

My only experience is with the finished product. I'm theorizing that, during a short transport time-frame, taste is what will suffer most when "a cigar" gets it's temperature cranked up too high. And therefore we should avoid smoking ROTT in heated weather much more so than cold. I'm theorizing that ROTT in cold weather wouldn't taste as bad. 
  • Options
    When I'm expecting a package being delivered by UPS I have them hold the package at a UPS store near me, at no cost. This avoids the package sitting outside till I get home.

I think the USPS has a similar option, but I haven't tried it yet. Not sure if they can hold 1 package. I know they could hold all your mail, but that would be inconvenient 
    I've done this as well,.... with USPS. Better that it stay indoors until I pick it up.