Home General Discussion
Options

Opinions, recommendations

Hello, I'm Ron and I'm starting a new hobby with this new year.  I had smoked cigarettes for over thirty years and quit four years ago.  I received a cigar from a friend this past Christmas and my wife gave me that "don't you dare think about starting again".  I assured her later on that evening, that going back to cigarettes would not happen.  I mean, I did stop and that was cold turkey too. Besides, smoking cigars does not entail inhaling and was more about the tastes and aromas than it was about getting a nicotine buzz, so with that rationale in hand, I began to do research.  I ordered a basic humidor and read about how to season the humidor and how to do everything that needed to be done to prepare for storing your "sticks".  Yes, I picked up some lingo on the way.  Anyhow, I also ordered a sampler to put into my humidor and I'd like to glean any suggestions or tips from the real pros...you guys.  So, here's what I ordered.  I've ordered a sampler of Cohiba Red Dot, Montecristo Classic, Romeo y Julieta Real Toro, Rocky Patel Connecticut, Gurkha Beauty, Macanudo Cafe Hyde Park, Oliva Serie O Robusto, Punch Pita, and 5 Vegas Gold Churchill.  Now, I know smoking stogies is more of a ritual than anything else and I have no doubt that it's more important to develop your own ritual than to copy someone else's but I'd like to know if these brand would give me a good variety of blends.  I know enough not to judge the cigar by it's wrapper but I was hoping to start with mild to medium strengths and work up to full bodied.  I also heard that having smoked, in the past, does help in handling more robust cigars and that's why I mentioned it.  So what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to know if these brand would give me a good variety of blends. 

Well, not really. Don't get me wrong, there really isn't anything wrong with them, it's just that there are so many more out there that are better.

I know enough not to judge the cigar by it's wrapper but I was hoping to start with mild to medium strengths and work up to full bodied.

I would judge a cigar by it's wrapper for it's taste and construction.
    Different wrappers have different tastes. So when you start looking at what you like, you may notice a pattern in the wrappers you like.

Try cigars, keep track of the ones you like, look into how they're made and what is in them. After a while, you will start to notice that there are certain ones you gravitate towards.

Read everything you can, believe hardly any of it and make your own determinations.

Just my opinion.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Ron. Stick around and learn stuff. This forum is the best thing for you if you want to learn it fast. I know that sounded blunt but its true. And a better group of folks you will not find. Pay attention to what the cool kids are smoking for tips on what to buy and try. If you need me to point out the cool kids, send me a PM and I'll set you on the right track. I swear one of these days I'm gonna write it all down. Bob's pamphlet for newbies. I'm not gonna call it a book. That'd be arrogant because I'm still the perpetual newbie.
  • Options
    SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get ahead of yourself on buying a bunch of any one thing right away. I haven't been doing this long but I find that is some of the best advice I got was to buy singles and 5 packs for now because your tastes will evolve and what you buy today you may not like in 6 months or so. Also take advantage of the opportunities to trade. A lot of what you will get from these brothers and sisters in a trade you may not be able to find anywhere else and that is pretty special. I have had a number of sticks from trades and passes that I never would have even looked at otherwise and they open my eyes to a whole new world. There is the main stream cigar market but there is also this underground world of limited release and small batch stuff that is outstanding. Buckle up and enjoy the ride my friend. 

Oh and change your forum name  so people don't think you are some kind of troll. Then look for the newbie thread and introduce yourself these guys won't bite... welcome to the jungle lol
  • Options
    0patience said:
    I'd like to know if these brand would give me a good variety of blends. 

Well, not really. Don't get me wrong, there really isn't anything wrong with them, it's just that there are so many more out there that are better.

I know enough not to judge the cigar by it's wrapper but I was hoping to start with mild to medium strengths and work up to full bodied.

I would judge a cigar by it's wrapper for it's taste and construction.
    Different wrappers have different tastes. So when you start looking at what you like, you may notice a pattern in the wrappers you like.

Try cigars, keep track of the ones you like, look into how they're made and what is in them. After a while, you will start to notice that there are certain ones you gravitate towards.

Read everything you can, believe hardly any of it and make your own determinations.

Just my opinion.

Feel free to PM me with some (five or so?) brands that you feel are better.  I ask this so I don't inadvertently start a brand war.  Thanks.
  • Options
    Don't get ahead of yourself on buying a bunch of any one thing right away. I haven't been doing this long but I find that is some of the best advice I got was to buy singles and 5 packs for now because your tastes will evolve and what you buy today you may not like in 6 months or so. Also take advantage of the opportunities to trade. A lot of what you will get from these brothers and sisters in a trade you may not be able to find anywhere else and that is pretty special. I have had a number of sticks from trades and passes that I never would have even looked at otherwise and they open my eyes to a whole new world. There is the main stream cigar market but there is also this underground world of limited release and small batch stuff that is outstanding. Buckle up and enjoy the ride my friend. 

Oh and change your forum name  so people don't think you are some kind of troll. Then look for the newbie thread and introduce yourself these guys won't bite... welcome to the jungle lol
    Did already change the name...don't know how long it takes...anyway, that's why I got this sampler that has two of each so I don't find one that I definitely do not like and have four more left of them...I like the trade idea, but is it safe? I mean, it's a pretty **** world out there, if you catch my drift...but so far, it looks pretty nice in this forum..so thanks smoothsticks and will keep my ears and eyes open
  • Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    Welcome Ron. Stick around and learn stuff. This forum is the best thing for you if you want to learn it fast. I know that sounded blunt but its true. And a better group of folks you will not find. Pay attention to what the cool kids are smoking for tips on what to buy and try. If you need me to point out the cool kids, send me a PM and I'll set you on the right track. I swear one of these days I'm gonna write it all down. Bob's pamphlet for newbies. I'm not gonna call it a book. That'd be arrogant because I'm still the perpetual newbie.
    Bob, now most folks would have said to stick around and take your time learning, but you mentioned "if you want to learn it fast".  And that describes me to a T.  I know I SHOULD take my time, but at 62, you never know how much time you're gonna get to really get to the point where I can tell someone else what flavors I can taste...in other words, I got a lot of catching up to do.  thanks for the tips Bob
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best advice as others have said is to try a lot of stuff.  If you're up to it call cigar.com folks and they would be happy to put together a custom sampler to give you a range of tastes and sizes which will allow you to more quickly develop a sense of what you like and don't like as much.  Also, check your PM. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Feel free to PM me with some (five or so?) brands that you feel are better.  I ask this so I don't inadvertently start a brand war.  Thanks.
    Don't worry about starting a brand war.
    We all have our favorites and if someone doesn't like a brand you like, oh well.
    There are plenty out there for everyone.
    But here are some great cigars and most are pretty reasonably priced.
    Royal Danish - Viking Series
    Torano - 1916, Exodus, 
    Arturo Fuente - Hemingway, Don Carlos, Sun Grown
    AJ Fernandez - includes Ava Maria, Diesel, Man o War, etc
    Oliva Cigars - Series G, Series O, Series V, Nub
    La Flor Dominicana - Air Bender and most all of them.

As with anything, each of us will most likely have 5 "budget friendly" brands we like and each one will have a different list.

And as @Smoothsticks said, samplers are a great way to try many different cigars.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was smooth but the sampler is a great way to start, gives you an idea of what you might or might not like.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it safe? Anybody remember that movie? Haha. And speaking of safety, the first time I traveled to herf with Patrick, my son asked me (with unmasked skepticism) "So you met this guy on the Internet?". And made sure to call and check up on me too.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Is it safe? Anybody remember that movie? Haha. And speaking of safety, the first time I traveled to herf with Patrick, my son asked me (with unmasked skepticism) "So you met this guy on the Internet?". And made sure to call and check up on me too.
    Yeah, but was your son calling to check up on you because it was "a guy from the internet" .... or because it was Patrick.  :D:D

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    That would be "Marathon Man" with Dustin Hoffman, Roy Scheider, and Laurence Olivier 
  • Options
    jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I changed my user name too,but,but just look! I think it's f ?;:.??ed up.
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife had to log out for the change to take effect. Also are you sure you saved the changes before leaving the editing form?
  • Options
    I changed my user name too,but,but just look! I think it's f ?;:.??ed up.
    Either that or I'm spazzing out and forgetting about it....distinctly possible
  • Options
    jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Yes I saved. When I click change username now I'm directed to a page tha says by entering the forum I agree to the terms. At the bottom of this page it says my user name is jw517. That is what I changed it to but on the forum it does not show up.
  • Options
    My wife had to log out for the change to take effect. Also are you sure you saved the changes before leaving the editing form?
    Yeah, and even if I didn't, the system won't let me change again?  But it does say what that my forum name is what I wanted to change it to...BUT here's where the glitch is...When I click on Change Username,  it takes me to the "lobby" of the forum with a button that says "Visit Forum" instead of asking me what I'd like to change my name to....someone call the plumber please
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @timb, need a plumber here, we've got a backup in stall # 3.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )