Home Pipes
Options

Peterson Pipes

EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've stalked a couple of other forums and found that there seems to be a general dislike for Peterson pipes. Mostly people complain about quality control issues (holes not drilled correctly, sloppy stain jobs). I know every forum has one or two things that make the collective "don't buy" list (here it is Ghurkas and RP) so wanted you're collective advice. Peterson pipes: thumbs up or down?
-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, I just logged on here after about 30 minutes of looking at Peterson Pipes, but I've never had one.  So, I'm quite curious about this as well.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of the two I have, they are both good. But I have personally seen poor drillings. I would classify Peterson as one to buy only after a personal inspection
  • Options
    Good to know -- one of my issues is that there is not a decent BNM north of Seattle so I have to buy pipes and tobacco online (and most people won't even ship pipe tobacco to Washington because of a draconian laws (cigars are fine, cigarettes and lose tobacco of any kind are not). Makes it a bit of an desert up here. I travel quite a lot so am looking for decent stores in Idaho and Montana (where I travel the most). Other than than I only really get to hold a pipe after I buy it. That's the one thing that I did understand really when I picked up a pipe for the first time.
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two Peterson pipes. One is an estate I snagged for cheap on flea bay, and a new P-Lip Rhodesian from a website dealer.  Both smoke well in my amateur opinion.  If you ever need help with tobacco, @Echambers, let me know.  Ship to me and I'll then ship to you.  
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    Stubble said:
    I have two Peterson pipes. One is an estate I snagged for cheap on flea bay, and a new P-Lip Rhodesian from a website dealer.  Both smoke well in my amateur opinion.  If you ever need help with tobacco, @Echambers, let me know.  Ship to me and I'll then ship to you.  
    Thanks!
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a handful of Peterson's including some high end ones. I personally prefer Savinelli pipes. I haven't had any issues but I have seen all of the quality control issues mentioned. I have a handful of Peterson's for sale. Not because the are bad but just because I'm not really collecting them. I have only smoked my Dracula and Christmas pipes and I enjoyed them. I am keeping a couple military mount and a few other estates but I'm selling the high end ones I have just so I can put money back into more estate pipes. I've been back and forth in the decision because they look so nice. Two are hand made and I think in those and older Peterson's you will find the quality is better. I haven't tried a P-lip yet though I have a few.