Home Non Cigar Related
Options

becoming an endangered species.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in Non Cigar Related
The last few months, one of the largest mechanic trade schools in the nation has all but collapsed.
WyoTech was once one of the largest mechanic schools in the nation. 
Now, most of their schools have or are closing.

So it gives a good indication of the trade I am in, that we are a dying breed.
As guys like me retire and leave the industry, for every 10 retiring or leaving, there are only 2 filling those positions.
Schools that once pumped out qualifies techs are now gone and community colleges are left to try and fill that void, which are really not equipped for it.

The last few heavy equipment tech positions that we had to fill, took 6-8 months to even get qualified applicants. We still have automotive tech positions not being filled.

High schools no longer have vocational classes and the same people who pulled funding for that, wonder why the skilled labor trades are disappearing.

On the one side, I make more than a lot of college graduates with fancy degrees.
On the other side, I may see the demise of my trade in my lifetime.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about going to Wyoming tech when I was getting out of high school. Sad to hear that they are closing, it was a good looking program 
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a graduate of an automotive technology program and former technician (of 17 years) I see the same going on in my neck of the woods nobody is going into the trade. The problem is the living wage for a tech has not increased enough to warrant interest in the field. It’s hard attract new techs when they can make twice as mich as an electrician with not nearly the investment in tooling. Now that I am a manager recruiting continues to be a problem but another even bigger problem is retention..

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    @NorCalR1
    Keeping techs is hard everywhere. 
    Shops "sniping" techs from other shops.
    Becauae I work fleet and heavy, I make considerably more than automotive techs. But the investment of bigger tools also means bigger investment.

And I totally agree about the wages for techs not keeping up.
    Funny that the shop hour rates keep up, but yet there are places where techs are still at $18/hour. Why should someone invest $20k+ in tools to be an auto tech, when they can invest $1k in tools to be an electrician?

One little brother is a plumber by trade, max investment $1k. Makes almost as much as me

Another brother repairs cell towers and some other stuff, I don't really understand. In his truck, tools and computer stuff, he has more than me invested, but he owns the company. His workers invest a whopping $400 in tools. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was considering going to trade school but my mom insisted on college, so I went through the Engineering Technology program at Cal Poly.  Great program for my career in hands-on Radio Communications & Networking, but they closed down the Engineering Tech programs as I was graduating.  

Now, field repairs are rare and manufacturers no longer publish schematics, everything is just replaced or upgraded to try and fix the problem and people just look for "feet on the street" for dispatches, but what took racks and buildings now has a small footprint.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motorcycle industry is the same. I have been looking for a tech for about 5 months now. The schools used to call us with a list of candidates, not any more. It’s a dying field. 
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I know a young man who wants to be a mechanic...not working on big stuff, though.  His dream job is to work on classic cars.  High end stuff at a local shop that has won numerous awards at shows like Fernandina Beach and such.

He's got the drive, skills, passion, eye, and knowledge for it.

It wasn't until last week that I heard mom say he wasn't going to college.  Good for her. He doesn't need it, though she has fears about it.  If the restoration work doesn't pan out there's plenty of need for good mechanics all around.  I'm thankful for tradesmen living out their vocation with integrity, using their god-given skills to keep schmucks like me driving, comfy in the HVAC, with water running down the drains and no holes in my pretty painted walls, etc.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try working in manufacturing.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a professional craftsman/artist for over forty years. Had to learn to juggle many hats. Woodturner, sculptor, bookkeeper, salesman, teacher, author, timber cutter, carpenter, photographer, the list goes on. There are now many non college schools that teach what i do. I have taught workshops at many of them. With the advent of technology and the great impact it has on our everyday lives having objects that are handmade connects us all.
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's because of a lot of factors. Cars need a lot less maintenance than they used to. Spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles because of fuel injection. Back in the days of carbs, you were changing them yearly or more. Belts and hoses are lasting years too. Oil is now 10,000 + miles before changing. All this leads to less mechanics needed.
    The technology used to run vehicles is ever changing, about the only ones who can keep up with it are the dealers. Smaller shops just can keep up. The dealer are under a lot of pressure to keep their mechanics since they have a lot of money/time invested training them. So they get paid pretty well and there's not of them leaving the field.
    I started out fixing mowers and small engines at small family run shop. Then moved on to a commercial grass cutting company and started working on trucks and bigger tractors. From there I moved on the working at construction companies as a mechanic and ended up running the shop.....All this and never went to a single school.  

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't know how to use a screw driver or hammer by the time you are 10 years old there is something wrong with your upbringing. If you don't know how to learn on your own there is something wrong with your education. Learning how to say OK Google and type with your thumb isn't enough.
    This may be so... but so few children grow up with their fathers... where's the garage time?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    If you don't know how to use a screw driver or hammer by the time you are 10 years old there is something wrong with your upbringing. If you don't know how to learn on your own there is something wrong with your education. Learning how to say OK Google and type with your thumb isn't enough.
    True, but watching a u-tube video can sure be helpful at times ( Mostly after you've already made a mess of things )
    I've always say "You learn some of your best lessons for the mistakes you make"

I was a late bloomer to working on motors, had no idea how they worked till I was in my teens.
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's because of a lot of factors. Cars need a lot less maintenance than they used to. Spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles because of fuel injection. Back in the days of carbs, you were changing them yearly or more. Belts and hoses are lasting years too. Oil is now 10,000 + miles before changing. All this leads to less mechanics needed.
    The technology used to run vehicles is ever changing, about the only ones who can keep up with it are the dealers. Smaller shops just can keep up. The dealer are under a lot of pressure to keep their mechanics since they have a lot of money/time invested training them. So they get paid pretty well and there's not of them leaving the field.
    I started out fixing mowers and small engines at small family run shop. Then moved on to a commercial grass cutting company and started working on trucks and bigger tractors. From there I moved on the working at construction companies as a mechanic and ended up running the shop.....All this and never went to a single school.  

As a journeyman mechanic and now a fleet supervisor I can tell you there is a huge need for quality “Technician’s” as “mechanic” is an antiquated term but in our area there is a lack of new blood entering the field due to the fact it’s pay does not align with the cost of living. Technicians today are as Michu a computer IT tech as a “turning a wrench tech”. Most vehicles ( light & heavy fleet) have around 11 onboard computers talking to each other via a CAN network but why work on cars for $35.00 an hour when you can do IT tech for $60 an hour and no investment in tooling... 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about automotive school awhile back but for me would have ruined my hobby of wrenching on my camaro, wanted to keep it a hobby and not feel like work.

After looking at different options I got certified with the International Detailing Association, and also took a course with Mike Phillips getting first hand experience and learning a ton more about professional detailing and how to make money doing it. There will always be paint that needs correction, restoration and vehicles to be professionally detailed. The money can be good to $80-$150 an hour, depending on how fast you can get the whole vehicle done, and location. With having your own business that means no boss to tell you what to do also!!! The only down side to professional detailing is it's A LOT of physical work!

Can make good money doing a trade for a living, he'll electricians make $100 an hour all day long if not more. And installing septic systems hell those guys that own their business and do it make like $4-5K a day no joke!

Sad to see trade schools and even high school trade classes getting discontinued. America might have been designed behind a desk but it sure as hell didn't get built behind one!
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:

<snip>

America might have been designed behind a desk but it sure as hell didn't get built behind one!

Great quote

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    The construction field has the same problem. They can't find people let alone qualified ones. It's not a money thing...Right now you get a job stating as a laborer at $43 an hour on a state highway construction rated job...And can't get anyone to A-Pass a drug test. B-Have a driver licence. C-Show up every day. 
    I don't know what's going to happen when the infrastructure bill passes. 
  • Options
    The drug test and the attendance is what kills us. Had a trainee we let go @ 28 days because he was late or didn't show up 24 of those days. Cussed everyone out on the way out the door.
  • Options
    30 years ago, a tech could do a lot of diagnosis by ear. 
    Diesel was mostly experience and knowledge to diagnose and repair.

Today, I have a laptop that connects to the trucks and heavy equipment. 
    I have 2 dump trucks that the computer will tell figure clutch wear and make adjustments to it. 
    Satellites can track them, the trucks talk to the manufacturer.
    I get emails telling me when a truck trips a fault code and what it is.
    Diagnostics is half mechanic work and half IT work, as was said earlier.

Everything on the heavy machines is becoming computer controlled.
    We have graders that don't have a steering wheel, they have joystick controls.

In the next couple years, some of our dump trucks will have heads up displays for the snow removal equipment. That will be fun to diagnose.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skilled labor of most kinds are getting harder to fill. This country has a severe shortage of tool and die makers. So most stuff is sent to China to be done. 
  • Options
    Rhamlin said:
    Skilled labor of most kinds are getting harder to fill. This country has a severe shortage of tool and die makers. So most stuff is sent to China to be done. 
    Yes and the quality is terrible, dimensions and tolerances mean almost nothing to them. I only use US shops for bought tooling. Most are in California and Illinois. 
  • Options
    0patience said:
    30 years ago, a tech could do a lot of diagnosis by ear. 
    Diesel was mostly experience and knowledge to diagnose and repair.

Today, I have a laptop that connects to the trucks and heavy equipment. 
    I have 2 dump trucks that the computer will tell figure clutch wear and make adjustments to it. 
    Satellites can track them, the trucks talk to the manufacturer.
    I get emails telling me when a truck trips a fault code and what it is.
    Diagnostics is half mechanic work and half IT work, as was said earlier.

Everything on the heavy machines is becoming computer controlled.
    We have graders that don't have a steering wheel, they have joystick controls.

In the next couple years, some of our dump trucks will have heads up displays for the snow removal equipment. That will be fun to diagnose.
    We were just talking the other day. How long will it be before earth moving equipment will no longer have an operator? Everything run 24/7 by GPS and drones.