Home General Discussion
Options

Do they just have to win?

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in General Discussion
Won 2 bids on boxes, less than half price.

So I am looking around at some of the other bids and I have to wonder what are people thinking.

The bids are over the top and I think it is just "I'll show you" stupidity, or win at any cost.
I always know what the regular prices are and I check all the specials, just common sense. And don't forget to factor in shipping costs, some specials ship for free. If it is a brand I don't normally buy I will keep a second window open and check the regular price, also common sense. But that is just me.

When the bids are higher then the normal price and there is still a battle raging it boggles the mind. What are they thinking? Are they thinking? Is the light on?

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    win GIF
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You ever be driving along the freeway and pass someone who suddenly accelerates and passes you back and gets in front of you?  You make a few smart lane changes to avoid traffic and they frantically change lanes trying to get ahead of you and get stuck behind slower cars because they're not thinking straight?

Yeah, that's what's going on here.  We're hardwired to want to win, damn the costs.

When it comes to auctions, I'll bid once, what I'm willing to pay and then I don't check back in on the auction after that.  At least I try.  It saves me from overpaying.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    You ever be driving along the freeway and pass someone who suddenly accelerates and passes you back and gets in front of you?  You make a few smart lane changes to avoid traffic and they frantically change lanes trying to get ahead of you and get stuck behind slower cars because they're not thinking straight?

Yeah, that's what's going on here.  We're hardwired to want to win, damn the costs.

When it comes to auctions, I'll bid once, what I'm willing to pay and then I don't check back in on the auction after that.  At least I try.  It saves me from overpaying.
    Perfect example 
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great move, had never seen the sprinting karate chop, thanks Bob
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    People get in a bidding frenzy.
    It's even worse at a live auction.
    I once bid up a little trashed excavator on a guy, cause he wouldn't let go.
    Already had one machine.

At the end he was gloating about it.
    I told him, that's great. I paid $600 for mine, will put $300 in it and sell it for $2500.
    You paid $1500 for your's, will put $900 in it and sell it for $2500.

I'm good with that.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.