Home General Discussion

Cigars From Mexico?

ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
My Daughter is in Mexico on vacation and is asking what I want her to bring with her. My question is, can she legally bring them back to the states? Did a quick search online and everything is a couple of years old saying you can up $100 worth.
I don't want her hassled t customs over this. 

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s been my experience that the natives south of the border are quite prodigious when it comes to producing fake Cuban Cigars. 

‘Nuff said......
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell her to NOT buy anything unless it's from a La Casa Del Habano (LCDH) store.

The "cuban cigars" sold at the hotels, by guys on the beach, and at carry-outs in the Caribbean are counterfeit products and not the legitimate thing.

They may end up being smokable cigars, but they could also be nasty floor scraps/sweepings. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it is 100 cigars or $800 value.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And as far as the $100 limit goes .... that's only for purchases made in CUBA. 

If you're coming from a third-party country (i.e. Mexico, Dominican Republic, etc.) ..... you can bring up to 100 cigars, manufactured in any country including Cuba, valued at no more than $800 back to the U.S. every 31 days tax-free. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I just told her to only buy $799 worth.  :)
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And not from individuals on the beach 
  • Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She can buy at the airport duty free Habanos shop 2 boxes and will have receipt on hand. She can also get you 2 bottles of Havana Club rum. Just keep everything in the duty free bags to get past US customs.