Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Have any of the retired LEO's gotten a Homeland Security permit to carry?

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
When I retired, I sold my guns and have not carried since.  I am now on the safety committee at church and will need to be carrying (pretty sad!).  I'm going to get the NC Concealed Carry permit also, but that is not good in NY and PA, states I would be going through to visit family in NY.

If any of you retired folks got the Homeland Security permit, I was wondering how long it took and if you have any tips.  Please post here or feel free to PM me.  Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    didnt realize you needed a permit. I would have thought your retired badge would have worked but im not sure. @Stubble you know?
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @YankeeMan, are you talking about a State permit from the LEOSA? (HR218)
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    Stubble said:
    @YankeeMan, are you talking about a State permit from the LEOSA? (HR218)
    That's correct.  I did the paperwork yesterday, I just have to find a certified instructor in my neck of the woods to run me through the course of fire.  I'm retired from NY and not residing in NC, so just carrying on the badge is not OK here.

I will get the NC permit to carry, to make it easier to purchase a weapon.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Down here it usually takes three to four weeks once everything is submitted to their liking.  Cost is $35 per year.  Yearly renewal and firearm qualification.  I've been putting off getting one since I have a Texas LTC, and rarely travel out of state.

ETA:  I'm a LTC Instructor and have qualified several recently retired friends.
  • Options
    I finally bit the bullet (sorry about that!) and I bought a Ruger 9mm pistol for concealed carry.  It is 6 +1, with an extra clip.  If I can't get in done with that, I'll pull a Superman and throw the gun at them.

I filed all the paperwork for the HR 218 and the NC Concealed Carry permit, I just have to qualify this coming Saturday.  It's been a while so I will fire a bit this week while on semester break.

• Options
    Did fine on the concealed carry permit course, but this afternoon I have to pass the regular NC police course of fire for my HR 218 permit.  I shouldn't have too much of a problem except for the prone position.

I have never fired a handgun from that position, but in NC, that is part of the course of fire.  My only fear is how close the rescue squd is when they have to get me up from the floor!
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shot prone at my last training course. It's an interesting position but I found it more stable since I could lock my elbows into the ground. It's very awkward to draw from that position though. And almost as awkward to try to lay down while drawn. 
  • Options
    YankeeMan said:
    Did fine on the concealed carry permit course, but this afternoon I have to pass the regular NC police course of fire for my HR 218 permit.  I shouldn't have too much of a problem except for the prone position.

I have never fired a handgun from that position, but in NC, that is part of the course of fire.  My only fear is how close the rescue squd is when they have to get me up from the floor!

Interesting...at what distance do you have to shoot from in the prone position?
  • Options
    Twenty-five yards, only six rounds.  I got everything done including the written test, but there was a problem with the range and we couldn't get so I have to fire Friday.  I should be OK.  I hope.
  • Options
    I shot prone at my last training course. It's an interesting position but I found it more stable since I could lock my elbows into the ground. It's very awkward to draw from that position though. And almost as awkward to try to lay down while drawn. 
    I'm just wondering how do get up with a gun in my hand.  I tried at home, not shooting, of course, but I put my forearm on the floor and my shooting hand on that and it was pretty solid.  The problem on the range is that I can't grab my bed to get up!
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I don't have that issue yet. I just kept my muzzle downrange, pushed up to one knee using my support hand, and stood up from the one knee up/one down kneeling position. I suppose you could holster before fully standing if the situation allows and you need both hands free for balance
  • Options
    My balance is fine, I'm just a tad heavier than I should be!
  • Options
    I finally did it and got qualified yesterday.  Passing is 70% and I hit 85% in the day shoot and 94% in the night shoot.  Figure that one out!  Of course, I do some of my best work in the dark.  ;-)

I was surprised that I was able to do the prone firing without a problem.  That is the first time I have ever fired that way.  Once that was done, you had to get up immediately and fire six shots standing.  It must have been the tension, because I got this pudgy body off the floor quickly.  I will have to practice that a bit.  I'll have to qualify annually, but I will do a lot of practicing in the next year.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed shooting at the range

Paperwork has been sent into the state and now it's hurry up a wait for the permit.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats @YankeeMan
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's great!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )