Home General Discussion
Options

Anybody ever wonder where this phrase came from?

Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carnival games give out stuffed animals as prizes nowadays,

but in the late 19th century, the games targeted adults, not kids.

Instead of getting a stuffed animal, winners would get a cigar.

Therefore, if they almost won but didn’t earn that prize, they’d be “close, but no cigar.”

By the 1930s, this phrase extended beyond fairgrounds to every day close shots.

You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!

Comments

• Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep 'em coming Sleddog46, that was cool.
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Captain_Call @Sleddog46 thanks for the knowledge 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool info, thanks.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pubs served beer in pints and quarts. If a person was causing trouble, the bartender would warn them to mind their P's and Q's.

Bandy was a medieval bat-and-ball game, similar to hockey. To ‘bandy’ words is to knock them back and forth as one would bandy a ball.

Unwelcome guests were given "the cold shoulder" of mutton.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The phrase mad as a hatter came about because old time hat makers used compounds containing mercury. These compounds severely degraded cognitive function.
  • Options
    Droppin' some knowledge!
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Flash in the pan refers to something that fails to come to fruition. It comes from the time when firearms were flintlocks. These used a muzzle loaded powder charge and shot, with a pin hole drilled in the breech that led to the "pan" which contained a secondary charge of powder used for ignition of the main charge. Attached to the "lock" or hammer of the gun was a piece of flint which would strike the "frizzen", a metal cover for the pan. This strike would cause a spark intended to ignite the charge in the pan. But it didn't always work as intended and the main charge didn't ignite leaving the shooter with nothing more than a flash in the pan
  • Options
    Flash in the pan refers to something that fails to come to fruition. It comes from the time when firearms were flintlocks. These used a muzzle loaded powder charge and shot, with a pin hole drilled in the breech that led to the "pan" which contained a secondary charge of powder used for ignition of the main charge. Attached to the "lock" or hammer of the gun was a piece of flint which would strike the "frizzen", a metal cover for the pan. This strike would cause a spark intended to ignite the charge in the pan. But it didn't always work as intended and the main charge didn't ignite leaving the shooter with nothing more than a flash in the pan
    Going off half cocked came from the same thing.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Going off "Half Cocked"

back in the middle to the eighteenth century, was to the musket which, if the hammer was cocked halfway, was supposed to be locked, safe against accidental discharge. But sometimes the mechanism was faulty, the hammer would be released, and the gun would be prematurely discharged, with the musketeer wholly unprepared.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The real McCoy" came from the invention of Elijah McCoy's oil drip cup in the 1870's. These were fitted on steam locomotives to oil the various bearings and wedges, grealty reducing the need to stop and service the locomotive (something that previously had to be done every 10-15 miles). Engineers would remark that nothing was superior to The real Mccoy when it came to keeping their engine lubricated.

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    NitronostrilNitronostril Posts: 16
    "Balls to the wall"

Thought to originate from centrifugal governed steam engine.  More power applied moved bearings to the outside thus letting out or limiting steam production
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Balls to the wall"

Thought to originate from centrifugal governed steam engine.  More power applied moved bearings to the outside thus letting out or limiting steam production
    That's actually where the phrase 'Balls Out' originated.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    ^ do you mean bawls out?

Middle English, to bark, probably of Germanic origin
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Actually, Balls to the wall was from fighter pilots.
    The throttle controls were round knobs and would hit the firewall at full throttle.

@peter4jc is correct. 
    Balls out refers to the centrifugal governor on engines, that were balls that would spin and move out to limit the rpm of the engines.
    Hense, balls out meaning as fast as it would go.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    ^^^^ Quite the set of brass balls you've got there,  0Patience.. 
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Which brings us to "Freeze the balls off a brass monkey".  

I do not vouch for the veracity of the following information.  

I learned/ heard, somewhere along the way, that cannon balls were stacked on platforms made of brass, which were somehow dimpled to accommodate the balls, and these were called "monkeys", for whatever reason.  As the balls were made of iron, they changed in size at a different rate than the brass monkey and rolled out of the depressions in the temperature dropped sufficiently.  

Seems possible.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I got cigars from the carnival games! They were rubber and when you squeezed it a accordion like worm would pop out.
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine told me this story, I found this version of it on the net:

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous weapon was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waved their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew! "PLUCK YEW!"

Over the years some 'folk etymologies' have grown up around this symbolic gesture. Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say (like "pleasant mother pheasant plucker", which is who you had to go to for the feathers used on the arrows for the longbow), the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'F',and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute are mistakenly thought to have something to do with an intimate encounter. It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird".

And yew all thought yew knew everything!

Pretty sure none of it's true...

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @IndustMech I'm fairly certain that is where the English "up your's" gesture came from. See diagram below.

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anybody used Shinola? If not, then you "don't know chit from Shinola".

WW2 barracks slang for a dummy that might choose the wrong product to shine his shoes.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff guys...

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Except that the phrase 'the whole nine yards' was already in use in the early 1900's.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@peter4jc said:
    Except that the phrase 'the whole nine yards' was already in use in the early 1900's.

@silvermouse said:
    Interesting. I found a couple of examinations of its origin here:
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-whole-nine-yards/
    and
    https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/the-whole-nine-yards.html

Evidently, no one knows for sure.
    That's interesting. LOL!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone knows that it was invented in the movie with Matthew Perry...

Don't look ↑