Home General Discussion
Options

Temperature and its Effect on Humidity

jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
I have a larger humidore I made from a dorm fridge. I have it in the basement and it's cooler down there than the rest of the 68 degree house. My hygrometers are reading about 65F and 71H but the last couple cigars I smoked cracked at the head when I punched them. The smoke seemed dryer than normal too(maybe). Is this lower temp having a remarkable effect on the available moisture even at a reading of 70H? 

Comments

• Options
    YournamehereYournamehere Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    This is more science then I want to get into so for short...lower temps have less space for humidity. The rh is added into the equation and your hygrometer should be spot on if calibrated right and is digital. Personally I keep mine at 65/65 and really only have issues when it’s cold out. Why these issues happen isn’t really totally on how you kept them but the whole story of...what temp did you take it out,did you travel anywhere,how long was it in the cold for and was it cold then warm. Also what wrapper did the cigar have? There are way too many variables but to me 65 degrees and 71rh the rh is too high. Also what kind of punch did you use? How old is it and are you sure it’s sharp? I’ve had very few issues with a punch and most of them were just because of me being impatient and jabbing it into the cigar instead or pressing and rotating
  • Options
    It may be the wrapper types and my imagination. I'm using two digital hygrometers and both are about the same readings. The punch is new. I was just curious if there is a equation here I don't know about. Anyway,, I added a bit of humidity for a while. Also, I have a lot of five paks I bought in the last couple months. I thought they would be fine leaving them wrapped from cigarbid and in my humidore. I don't need a lot of loose cigars in my storage humidore. They are ok wrapped ,are they not?
  • Options
    YournamehereYournamehere Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    They are fine wrapped since air and humidity can still get through. But trust me in this cold weather I always have a bottle of cigar glue and a trusty cutter
  • Options
    I figured since they are in the correct environment,any air exchange in the packs will be the correct air. Thanks,I'll stop worrying for a bit. 
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently unwrapped my 5 packs. I figure the shrink wrap is more of a moisture barrier, not the same as the cello. 

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    These are not "shrink wrapped" but are wrapped pretty well!  Thanks
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you have a temp and humidity controlled environment to smoke in, there is usually a pretty good swing between your humi and your smoking area in the cold areas during winter.  I can smoke in my basement right next to where my cigars are stored, but it is still an RH of 64% in the cooler and 47% outside of the coolers.

I avoid the punch and go for a really sharp V Cutter during the winter months.  
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh boy, justification for another cigar toy!
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Punched a Tatoo tonight and it came out ok. Maybe it was just a thin wrapper and I need to be more gentle.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you smoke outside? Always let your smoke acclimate to to surrounding temp and humidity for about 10 minutes or more before smoking. Especially if you’ll be outside. 
  • Options
    Kind of but it's warm out today 40F.