Home General Discussion

My attempt at Re-seasoning my wood humi

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Noticed that my humi wasn’t holding proper RH so I moved all my sticks into my coolidor where they’re being maintained at 65% by a handful of Bovedas. 

In my humi I i I have 1/2 lb of Heartfelt beads and two small bowls containing distilled water - one bowl down below and the other in the lift-out tray. This has been the set-up for about a week/10 days and my RH is now holding at 80-81%. 

My plan is to first re-load the lift-out tray from the coolidor and place it in the humi after removing the bowls of DW. Then, after a day or so, I’ll move a reasonable amount of other sticks into the humi and monitor the RH regularly. 

Does anyone see a flaw in my plan?  I’ve never done this before so I’d appreciate any input any of you may care to offer. 

Thanks very much and have a beautiful day. 

P.S. My child bride is due to be discharged from skilled nursing today. Maybe the hacienda won’t be so empty now..... <3

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear about your chic bride Marty, and that sounds like a fair plan to get to humi situation resolved. Best of luck!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, good news, but the only flaw in your plan is that you need more sticks.  PM me your address and I'll help you out.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a plan. Glad your child bride is finally getting to come home. 

Yak be careful, he’ll launch a counter strike before the package even hits the mailbox. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, guys. Don’t send more sticks. I like to believe I have enough on hand to last as long as I do. If it turns out I’m wrong and in need of a few more, I’ll be pleased to let everyone know. 

As it is, I’m good for quite a long while with what I have on hand. Thanks for your profound generosity, though. I love ya for it.....
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you're getting your sweetheart back.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You say you'll put a "reasonable amount" of sticks back in, but I'm thinking you would want to fill it all the way back up.
    Bob_Luken said:
    You say you'll put a "reasonable amount" of sticks back in, but I'm thinking you would want to fill it all the way back up.
    I had them all in the wood one before I realized my RH wasn’t holding so I blamed it on having too many sticks in there.  It was jammed pretty full.  I was thinking I’d replace about half of what wasn’t in the lift-out tray and see what happens from there. That’s what I meant by ‘reasonable’. I guess I should have been more clear...

The ones left in the coolidor will stay at 65% due to the plastic interior and the Bovedas so I’m not worried about them. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, it's your coolidor that is mostly empty? Just kidding, I'll respect your wishes.
    Thanks for that, Edward @silvermouse

Okay, phase two (moving some sticks back into humi) is now complete. Humi is moderately full so now we’ll see how/if the RH holds for a few days to maybe a week. It was holding at 81% these last few days with only the DW in the humi. I’m shooting for 65%. 

Man, this is hard work. I’m pooped!  Musta taken me all of twenty minutes or so to reorganize and move the ones I moved. Good thing I’ve got our caregiver coming over after lunch to spend some time with my child bride so I can slip off for a cigar. It’s supposed to be a lovely day for it. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy your smoke, Marty!  I had an Undercrown Corona Viva last night and it reminded me of you because you're the once who convinced me to go w/ that vitola.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    edited March 2018
    Thanks, Pietro @peter4jc. Yep, I do like the Undercrown but I’m convinced that the corona viva is the best of the bunch. 

Today, I think ima go with either a La Antiguedad or a San Lotano Oval. Decisions, decisions.......
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear your child bride is doing better, Marty. Hope you get that humi taken care of soon! Be sure to let us know if you need any stock. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    @Markwell

Thanks for the good wishes. She’s doing much better than when she first fell. It’s good to have her home. 

As for needing stock, thanks for the generous offer but I’m sure it’ll be a while before my inventory approaches the ‘low’ level. Unless, of course, I suddenly get a wild hair in my azz and send off some bombs so as to make room to buy a box of some stick I really feel I need. Ya never know......  :#
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to do mine every year around Christmas. 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found over the years that re-seasoning a humidor the same way you do when it is new works the best. I will however, be attempting an experiment with my 3 empty 5 Vegas boxes. Normally I wipe them down with humi care DW and leave the cloth in the box overnight. Then add cigars and one large plastic gel thingy and one 69 Boveda. After (usually) 24 hours the rh has settled and is where I want it. And that is how I will do the first Box. The 2nd Box I will put a bowl of DW in and leave it alone for 24 hours. The 3rd Box will get 4 69 Boveda packs for the same 24 hours. I am fairly sure the first box is the best way to go but I am curious. I will report back if my mind doesn't completely go.