Home Non Cigar Related

How do you feel about........

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Say, for starters.
Amazon not paying any fed taxes (if it is true) and putting so many stores out of business?

Comments

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instinctively, it feels wrong, yet typical, of every giant corporation in this country. I don't know enough about the minute details to offer an educated opinion, but I don't think it's just amazon. Delta gets some great tax breaks in Georgia, and there was a moment when the government was paying Ford and Chevy, instead of the other way around. To me, it seems typical. If someone knows more about this I'd definitely listen though. I don't want to be the equivalent of a high school student trying to offer public policy opinions. 
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A large degree of taxation is theft. I applaud that business for doing so well. They found a niche and exploited it for unprecedented gain. Someday I would love to have a business so big I get tax breaks just to keep doing what I'm doing.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind, they're getting 789 million this year from the new tax code
    https://itep.org/amazon-inc-paid-zero-in-federal-taxes-in-2017-gets-789-million-windfall-from-new-tax-law/

If it's done legally......I'm sure they're just the tip of the iceberg....
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are, after all, a capitalist nation. It’s one of the things that makes the US so great......   B)
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NFL does not pay taxes. Just one of the many reasons I refuse to watch.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All taxes paid by a business are in fact paid by that businesses customers

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    If you want to be mad at corporations that pay little or no taxes, be prepared to be mad a lot.
    Imagine that you can deduct every purchase you make, every loss, every promotion and every business related travel expense. 
    But what those news places don't tell you is that those corporations also pay a tax per employee. And that is not a deduction and is separate from income tax. Which is 6.2% of every employees earnings. 

So if you have 10,000 employees and they make 75k each equalling 750 mil, pays 46 mil in payroll tax to the feds in addition to what you pay the employees.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony, isn't that the SS tax you're referring to?  Granted, it can be debated where that tax goes, but it's not like a tax that the gummint uses to fund all sorts of crap.  It's supposed to be used to pay for our SS benefits.

Like @IndustMech said, taxes on corporations just get passed on to us as customers, which is why I say taxes on corporations are wicked and just another way for the greedy govt to feel it's gluttony.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    OK. Google and their adware. There is lots of it dispensing your browsing habits to whoever will pay for it. And it adds to the spam you get. I run malwarebytes every day and it is amazing how much their is. They have started moving it to Chrome.