Home General Discussion

I just realized....

ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm 54 years old and never drank a martini......I'm on a mission.

What does one need? And how do I make one?

( I know I could just google it.....But what fun would that be )

Comments

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Depends on vodka or gin. But one sure fact is you have to bump Frank Sinatra "Nothing but the best" while you quaff that! Trust me on this! 
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Add a cap full of vermouth, aka a teaspoon, and 3 ounces of your preferred gin to a metal shaker, and cubes of ice. ( not crushed ice, it melts in the alcohol and waters down the martini.) stir it (don't shake it, it breaks the ice and broken ice melts, James Bond drinks like a sissy). Take a martini glass, swirl olive juice in it to coat the entire surface, then pour it out. Add 3 olives on a toothpick, and put those in the glass, then fill it up with your martini.

- trust me, I'm an alcoholic lol
  • firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did these for the first time tonight. Freakin awesome!!! Try a Gibson martini with a little lemon twist and the pearl onions and add about a half teaspoon juice from the pickled onions. Gotta use Gin.
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawkeye just used potato mash and an olive. Sounds like a money saver to me :p
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know what I'm doing next weekend....
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This, from the coldest part of your refrigerator.

And from a chilled bottles of good olives some juice and 3 to 5 berries.
    Stir and drink.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty I’m sure I’m not the only one on here but I swear I read everything you post. Short on filler and long on common sense and wisdom. Thanks for sharing and keep posting my friend ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just can’t do gin.....tried it a bunch of times but just no.

Dirty martini with vodka (preferably ketel one) is my go to.

2 parts vodka
    1 part vermouth
    1 part olive juice

shaken 

garnish with 2 high quality stuffed olives (either jalapeño/garlic stuffed or blue cheese stuffed)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markwell said:
    Hawkeye just used potato mash and an olive. Sounds like a money saver to me :p
    I thought of Mash too. https://youtu.be/Mq0IChJXJ14
    If you’re looking for a good and surprisingly cheap potatoe vodka check out Monopolowa. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another reasonably reliable recipe if you count on a ‘tini or two after work is to start with a new bottle (.750) of your favorite gin. Remove the cap and pour in 1oz of vermouth. (There’s usually room for it). Then replace the cap, shake the bottle well, and place it in the fridge. 

Now you’re ready for instant gratification as soon as you get home from work. 
    In some ways I really do get what you mean about can’t do certain drinks or how they change your behavior Amos. I can’t do anything more than a shot or two of tequila, I turn into a disaster and it’s always ugly. Scotch, bourbon, whiskey or beer and I’m fine. My guts may hate me but personality wise I just get mellow and chatty. Tequila as much as I like the taste just does something to me in higher quantity. 
    I like gin only two ways, with some tonic and lime, or if it’s good enough gin then just gin with a bit of ice straight. Hendricks comes to mind as what I will drink straight or with a splash of tonic. 
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    You made me realize I have never had a martini either! I had one of those jobs that if I was charged with a dui I would lose my job, so I didn't drink for 38 years, the last 10 years I started drinking again, but it was beer and usually only one. Now that I am retired I have been learning HOW to drink! My friend Phil in Houston has reintroduced me to cigars and alcohol. My first Scotch was Talisker 18 year, then he educated me on Bourbon, and Rye, so I have more liquor in my possession now, than the last 40 years. I have 18 year old Scotch, from Sherry cask finish, from Kirkland (COSTCO), I have Willet Rye, Buffalo Trace Bourbon, and Jameson Irish whisky. So my next new drink is going to be a martini. Thanks!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^I am coming to visit^^^^
    A little dirt never hurt
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Dad used to put a little vermouth in the glass, swish it around and dump, he then added the gin.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've hardly tried gin.  Someone fixed me an Aviator which I enjoyed.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was 16 I went to the senior class party and had my first falling down, puking, blackout drunk on gin. That was the first and last time for that adult beverage.
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Try a virgin gimlet..... :D

What would that even be?  An olive in a martini glass?
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    ^^^^I am coming to visit^^^^
    Just let me know when your flight lands and I'll pick you up at the airport, and take you on an adventure in Louisiana you will never forget!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
    Try a virgin gimlet..... :D

What would that even be?  An olive in a martini glass?
    A gimlet is 2 oz gin. 3/4 oz lime juice, 3/4 
    As I was saying, a gimlet is 2 oz gin, 3/4 oz lime juice, 3/4 oz simple syrup and a garnish - lime wheel or ?
    P
    A virgin gimlet is without the gin..
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what any of you are talking about. LOL!
    Although, my mom used to drink something called a Gin Daiquari.
    Then again, she always had some drink or another in her hand.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was a Arminius .357 Mag Revolver with a 6" barrel.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^^
    This post was made on another forum WTF
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ one too many martinis?