Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Book Recommendations

2»

Comments

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Orphans are fairly common tropes in fantasy in general. Magic schools are a bit less common, but still can be found quite a bit. I think the only reason I have a hard time drawing a parallel is the drastically different natures of magic and the schools themselves. If Kvothe wiggled a wand, I would see them as a lot more similar. 
    That's true, the magic is completely different. 
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fritz Leiber - Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

Rodger Zelazny - Chronicles of Amber
                                Doorways in the Sand

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Title: Neuromancer
    Title: Neuromancer You are not logged in. If you create a free account and sign in, you will be able to customize what is displayed.
    ------
    lol!
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭

Title: Neuromancer
    Title: Neuromancer You are not logged in. If you create a free account and sign in, you will be able to customize what is displayed.
    ------
    lol!
    The Rastafarian Navy was the best!

And, this made a great C64 game back in the day.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    jgibv said:
    I searched and couldn't find any book recommendation threads. It's one of my favorite things to do while smoking and I'm looking to find some new ones to read. I prefer reading fiction books about various thriller related things. For instance, my favorite book of all time is easily The Godfather. I've read all 15 or so of Vince Flynn's books before he died and loved those. I've read like half of Tom Clancy's books. What else should I consider, either in the crime related sub category or the CIA/special forces sub category for thrillers?
    Sounds like we may have a similar tastes in books. 
    Some of my favorite series from the past year or so are listed below. 
    These authors / series are either "love it or hate it". 
    For each series I read the first book, got "hooked," and couldn't stop reading until I finished the entire series. 

Hope you find something you like: 

• David Rollins - the "Vin Cooper" Series (Special Agent/Special Forces, Thriller, Mystery)
    • Don Winslow - The Power of The Dog, The Cartel, The Force (DEA, Cartel, NYPD, Thriller, Crime)
    • Timothy Hallinan - the "Junior Bender" series, and the "Poke Rafferty" series (Private Investigator, Crime, Thriller)
    • Richard Kadrey - the "Sandman Slim" series (Fantasy, Noir, Thriller)
    • Richard Stark - the "Parker" series (Mystery, Crime)
    • Joe R. Lansdale - the "Hap & Leonard" series (Myster, Thriller, Crime)
    • Johnny Shaw - the "Jimmy Veeder" series (Mystery, Crime, Thriller)
    Alright @JGIBV is up first with a cigar from @captain_call .

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,249 ✭✭✭✭✭