Home General Discussion
Options

One day in Havana!

BlueB3BlueB3 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
I'll be in Havana, Cuba next month as part of a cruise. Looking for any recommendations for "must see/smoke" Cigar destinations. I know that the state stores are the only place that will sell real branded cigars, and to never believe the "my cousin works at the factory..." stories. :)

Comments

• Options
    Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But everyone's cousin works at the factory. See old Havana, buy some El Credito cigars about $0.05 USD. If you have time in the evening go to Hotel Nacional and have a cigar and a drink outside. Take a classic convertible taxi from the port to the hotel along the Malecon $10CUC. Sooooo much to see and do, one day is impossible. Have Fun!
  • Options
    Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old Havana Hilton is now the Havana Libre hotel. Nice Habanos shop there, and some nice house rolled cigars at a good price. He is rolling top quality leaf now.

You can walk there from Hotel Nacional

• Options
    Oyam123 said:

The old Havana Hilton is now the Havana Libre hotel. Nice Habanos shop there, and some nice house rolled cigars at a good price. He is rolling top quality leaf now.

You can walk there from Hotel Nacional

Thanks!
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy your trip! Gonna be a blast!
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jealous. 
    That is one trip I want to do.
    So much to see, so little time.

https://youtu.be/SvOO1Whi_Gc
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Yeah, we're taking a cruise in May, and we dock in Havana ~9am, and depart @ 7am the next morning (I'll be sleeping on the ship) It's only one day, and it's so weird to go someplace that has almost no online footprint to help plan out a schedule.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleeping on the ship is for sissies, you only have 22 hours, go for it
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueB3 said:
    ForMud said:
    What would make a better story to tell the grand kids years from now?....I sleep on the ship while in Cuba. Or, I woke up in some dive bar half naked with a new tattoo on my chest and I only had five mins to get back to the ship while in Cuba.
    Yeah, no. I'm fat and 42, there's no sprinting across the city to try and make the boat :D 

And no way in hell I'm getting a tattoo in a place I can't even drink the water.

That’s why they have rum
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadman said:
    :D With a new wife too

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Have fun.  I can’t wait to make my way to Cuba one day
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oyam123 said:
    BlueB3 said:
    Holy crap, I leave in a week!!! Booked a tour (half walking, half 50's convertible) for ~1/3 the price of the cruise ship excursion price!!  I'm only going to have time for ONE cigar factory tour though, so I think it's going to be the Partagas factory tour. The reviews say you can buy cigars from the rollers on the factory floor, which is nuts!

FYI, if they take you to some guys living room and they have two people rolling cigars, that’s not the Partagas factory. :):smiley:
    That’s pretty much all I got when I toured the Graycliff Hotel in Nassau. It was in June. The restaurant was closed, the factory had two guys rolling, and the showroom measured about 6’x8’. 

Oh, and some of the sticks I bought had beetles in them I found out when I got home. So much for Graycliff......
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monte 2s are fantastic, aren't they?  You should've bought a box of Corona juniors for $100 though! Bolivar or partagas shorts.  Sounds like a good time. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any pics of the tattoo you "Didn't" get?  :)  
  • Options
    ForMud said:
    Any pics of the tattoo you "Didn't" get?  :)  
    Like I said, not getting a tattoo in a place where I can't even drink the water!!  Didn't see any places to get tattoos even, or anyone really WITH tattoos in Havana.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, we may do this too.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Missed this the first time around but looks like a cool run, thanks for sharing.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm.......A Cuban herf?
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a great trip.
    Living in South Florida or as some call it North Havana, Cubin sticks are everywhere.
    Never know for sure if they are real, but most are made in Cuba and taste good

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    My local B&M are doing a group cruise next year too.