Home General Discussion
Options

2 humidifiers and still only 55%?

63Pro63Pro Posts: 38 ✭✭
I have a Mantello 25-50 cigar humidor. I was careful to season it properly. Calibrated the mechanical Hygrometer with salt and water solution as instructed in a ziploc bag for 24 hrs. Adjusted the mech. hygrometer only 5%.
It has a glass top and I sealed it with aquarium silicone to make sure no leaks.
I have about 12 fresh cigars most unwrapped, a few in glass tubes. Not trusting the mechanical hygrometer I purchased a digital one. Temperature is 67F in humidor, mech. hygrometer reads 60% humidity and digital at 55%, yeah I know, but digital says 55%. I have 2 humidifiers, the one that came with the humidor and a gel type. It has only been about 2 days since it was all set up. Do I need to move the humidor to a warmer area to get the temp up to the mid 60's or so to raise the humidity? How long does it usually take to stabilize humidity? I dont open the lid unless I grab a cigar. Any thoughts from you who have much more experience than I on this? Thanks in advance! -Al
No one ever learned anything by doing right the first time!
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63Pro said:
    I have a Mantello 25-50 cigar humidor. I was careful to season it properly. Calibrated the mechanical Hygrometer with salt and water solution as instructed in a ziploc bag for 24 hrs. Adjusted the mech. hygrometer only 5%.
    It has a glass top and I sealed it with aquarium silicone to make sure no leaks.
    I have about 12 fresh cigars most unwrapped, a few in glass tubes. Not trusting the mechanical hygrometer I purchased a digital one. Temperature is 67F in humidor, mech. hygrometer reads 60% humidity and digital at 55%, yeah I know, but digital says 55%. I have 2 humidifiers, the one that came with the humidor and a gel type. It has only been about 2 days since it was all set up. Do I need to move the humidor to a warmer area to get the temp up to the mid 60's or so to raise the humidity? How long does it usually take to stabilize humidity? I dont open the lid unless I grab a cigar. Any thoughts from you who have much more experience than I on this? Thanks in advance! -Al
    Welcome Al, did you do the dollar bill test around the lid?
  • Options
    Deadman,
    Thanks bro for the welcome! No I have not done the dollar bill test.
  • Options
    I just did the bill test as I assumed it would be done. Right side is easy sliding with small drag. Front is stiffer to the point of sliding right to left, once the bill gets to the left corner it bites the bill and stops. Left side I cannot get the bill to go in between the lid.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @63Pro. Takes a couple weeks to season a humidor so a couple days isn't going to do it. There are some good threads on seasoning humidors, use the search function. In the meantime put your cigars in a baggie or Tupperware with a humidification device, maybe a boveda. You'll want to get rid of the device that came with the humidor soon.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Ok dirtdude, thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    Sorry, RH inside the cabinet is 41% not 49.

• Options
    So in 5 days you haven't raised the RH by much. Where in SoCal are you, I would think westside your ambient RH would be higher than 41 but if you are eastside the seals better be spot on or you are fighting a losing battle.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Agree @Bob_Luken but when you start you have no vision for a 193 gallon cooler to hold your 20 pack sampler. Live and learn @63Pro.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    dirtdude said:
    So in 5 days you haven't raised the RH by much. Where in SoCal are you, I would think westside your ambient RH would be higher than 41 but if you are eastside the seals better be spot on or you are fighting a losing battle.
    We are in Rancho Cucamonga close to the foothills at about 2,200 ft elevation.
  • Options
    63Pro said:
    dirtdude said:
    The RH just outside the cabinet where the humidor is kept is 42% @ 66 degrees.
    The humidor inside the cabinet is 68% @ 68 degrees.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    63Pro said:
    63Pro said:
    dirtdude said:
    The RH just outside the cabinet where the humidor is kept is 42% @ 66 degrees.
    The humidor inside the cabinet is 68% @ 68 degrees.
    Sounds like you are making progress @63Pro
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a request of you. @63Pro If you would be willing, would you go back and "un-select" all of the answers you selected? Once you select answers, all the replies that you select get moved to the top, out of order. I like to see all the replies in chronological order. It's what I'm used to.  

Related image
    I know,........ I'm being a big fat Sheldon for asking. 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're still in order when I open the thread, Bob. 

The threads that are asking questions never go to the next unread post like normal threads do, but they are in chronological order for me.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Well, that's weird. For me each "accepted answer" is grouped separate at the top under the OP and then all the others follow. Maybe I can change the order in which they appear somehow in my preferences. (I checked but don't see a way to change that.) Oh well. No biggie. 
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're out of cronological order for me too.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    #MeToo
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Ok Bob no problem, sorry I screwed things up. So what do I need to do?
  • Options
    63Pro said:
    Ok Bob no problem, sorry I screwed things up. So what do I need to do?
    You definitely didn't screw up anything. The mechanics of the forum are to blame. You don't need to change a thing. Hope your seasoning is going well.  
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Bob,
    Ok good, glad balance is restored! :) 
    Seasoning has really stabilized. It has been 80 degrees here in SoCal this week. Inside the house its 30% @ 73 degrees and the humidor is staying steady at 67% and 71 degrees, no complaints. I really like the Tupperdor concept as a very reasonable way to get good results. I'm not a cigar connoisseur but doggonit, I'm having a hard time moving past the Acids! I love many of their cigars because to me, they are pretty consistent and smooth even past the label.